Well, the subject say it all.
After fixing bug20185 ( Changing your email address should require entering your password, see https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20185#c5 ) the following problem exists when using OpenID extension in the mode "OpenID only".
- when a user has added an account via OpenID, and no e-mail data was set-up (from OpenID provider to MediaWiki account)
- there is already the link "reset password" in Special:Preferences
- but user cannot set ("reset password") their password
- because they do not have an e-mail address
- The cannot set up their e-mail address (with MediaWiki methods), because they do not have a password (required since r92924 .
An ad-hoc solution is:
- add your e-mail address in your OpenID account,
- and let this data be updated in your MediaWiki account when logging in with OpenID.
Activate in Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-openid -->
"Update the following information from OpenID persona every time I log in: E-mail address"
A) Log-out from MediaWiki.
B) Set in your OpenId account that you want to transmit your e-mail address when logging in on the trusted site (your MediaWiki)
C) Log-in to MediaWiki
D) in Special:Preferences you will find your e-mail address set up
E) click "Reset Password" to let the MediaWiki send you a temporary password
F) goto your mail program, get the temporary password
G) return to your MediaWiki,
H) login with the temporary password and change it with a regular one
related to bug29027 (solved) and depending on bug20185 .
I filed this bug for tracking.