Page MenuHomePhabricator

Lohit-Kannada doesnt display English characters in Chrome
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

Title's first English word is eaten up by chrome

Lohit-Kannada doesnt show English characters fully on title in knwp.

http://kn.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Kannada_Support show only ವಿಕಿಪೀಡಿಯ:Kannada Support but when I select and copy it copies ವಿಕಿಪೀಡಿಯ:Kannada Support as

I am using Chrome 17.0.963.79 m on Win XP. I noticed the same on Ubuntu + Chrome as well.


Version: unspecified
Severity: major
OS: Windows XP
Platform: PC
URL: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=118885

Attached:

Details

Reference
bz35314

Event Timeline

bzimport raised the priority of this task from to Low.Nov 22 2014, 12:14 AM
bzimport set Reference to bz35314.
bzimport added a subscriber: Unknown Object (MLST).

Single English word isnt shown at all

I did a random check on other Lohit fonts in Telugu,Sanskrit on Google Chrome, issue doesnt exist. Even on kn, Kedage works fine.

Attached:

(In reply to comment #0)

Created attachment 10265 [details]
Title's first English word is eaten up by chrome
Lohit-Kannada doesnt show English characters fully on title in knwp.
http://kn.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Kannada_Support show only
ವಿಕಿಪೀಡಿಯ:Kannada Support but when I select and copy it copies
ವಿಕಿಪೀಡಿಯ:Kannada Support as

err. copy paste issue

http://kn.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Kannada_Support show only
ವಿಕಿಪೀಡಿಯ: but when I select, it shows ವಿಕಿಪೀಡಿಯ:Support and when I copy it copies
ವಿಕಿಪೀಡಿಯ:Kannada Support.

Attached:

  • Tried it on Windows 7 SP1 + Chrome 17.0.963.79 m, I saw the fallbacks working properly and English is visible.
  • Chromium 7.0.963.56 (Developer Build 121963 Linux) Debian wheezy/sid - could not reproduce
  • Chromium and Chrome in Ubuntu 11.10, not reproducible
  • Reproducible in Windows XP and Chrome

http://crossbrowsertesting.com/users/34057/screenshots/zbbc2c88a2b00bc6e676/public has screenshots.
Page used for testing: http://kn.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=%E0%B2%B5%E0%B2%BF%E0%B2%B6%E0%B3%87%E0%B2%B7:UserLogin

Font fallback is working, but failing when a single html text node has mixed languages in Windows XP+ Chrome case. If the text node has some other language, but not mixed, it is working. See the English links in the screenshot.

I will report the issue upstream(chrome).

  • Bug 33700 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Same issue we are facing in Bengali wikipedia with Lohit Bengali font and using Chrome 21 m on Win XP SP3.

Moving to ULS.

Not able to reproduce the issue in Chrome 30, Windows XP SP3. Screenshot http://app.crossbrowsertesting.com/public/id1b2af101bb8ef7/livetests/1298873/snapshots/z8790e92bbb0546a49b0

Upstream bug also not actionable since the issue is not present in recent version of chrome.

So closing.