This is a request for comments for MediaWiki to have a sane and easy to use configuration interface through the wiki user interface. This RfC is based off a previous RfC and the Configure MediaWiki extension.
Many of the various MediaWiki settings should be adjustable by local administrators/bureaucrats without requiring sysadmin intervention. Additionally, this would make those configuration values public to all users without requiring the LocalSettings.php file being uploaded somewhere.
- Overall goal: Site administrators should be able to configure various global settings via a web interface instead of editing a PHP file.
- Performant: should not slow down the site
- Backwards compatible: should work fine with existing code and extensions
- Farm support: Work for both single-wiki installations and large farms like Wikimedia
- Cross-wiki support: should be able to access another wiki's settings
There are three major steps in implementing this:
- An interface and internal API for accessing and setting various configuration options (see Accessing settings in RFC)
- An actual "configuration database"
- A graphical configuration interface
For details, see Graphical configuration interface in the wiki RfC.