Conclusion
Summary posted in T438896#12371432. Much thanks to @CDanis for the investigation and summary.
Previously reflected (and now outdated) context
Context
Shortly following T435443: Day 1 - Source datacenter depooling (Tue. Sept. 22nd - 2026), we were paged for PHP-FPM saturation in codfw. At current, eqiad is depooled for read-only traffic with the exception of mediawiki services and rest-gateway, which were repooled shortly following the saturation page.
Update: As of 18:00 UTC Thursday, codfw has been repooled for both edge & traffic following the power outage in T439010: codfw power outage
Investigation summary
Possibly this is related to thumb.wikimedia.org and the work in T427465: Move thumbnail caching from upload cluster to text, moving thumb.wm.o to cache-text. Specifically the theory here being that the working set of thumb.wm.o + en.wp.o & others is too large following the move. The resulting increase in request rate to mw-web, we might have encountered an (unrealized) situation where we no longer have the capacity we should with just a single DC servicing requests.
Thanks to @RLazarus and @Scott_French who've pointed out that TTL on frontend cache is 7 days [0] which lines up rather accurately with when the thumbs.w.o change is made and when traffic starts to spike a week later on the 14th, so granted that the image urls are baked into the cache response, we suspect that cache-text would have still been serving responses with pre-thumb.w.o image URLs for those 7 days before the TTL expired.
Next steps
A few options, we could consider:
- Reverting the change, either wait 7 days or purge to speed things up - our pre thumb.w.o estimates become valid again
- Increasing app layer capacity to support post-thumb-wm-o cache behavior
- Doing something smart to the caches to somehow get back the hit rates we used to have?
Impact on switchover timeline
If we plan to go with the revert+wait route, we will need to hold off on the mediawiki switchover, at least for tomorrow, while we investigate this further. Alternatively, if we choose to increase app layer capacity to support post-thumb-wm-o cache behaviour, it is possible that we might be able to proceed, although we should take further consequences & impact into consideration before doing so.
Edit: The switchover has been definitively postponed while codfw power stabilizes. See T439010: codfw power outage
Testing & recovery timeline
On Wednesday Sept. 23rd, around 15:10 UTC, we attempted to repool mw-web-ro in codfw and observe how it might hold up. This comes after repooling eqiad for edge cache. During the mw-web-ro repool in codfw, we saw saturation hit 100% then fall quickly thereafter. The test pool was then depooled while we investigated further.
A rule was enabled banning scrapers shortly following then reverted: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T438896#12356408
Some patterns observed during the saturation spike during the test window: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T438896#12356442
Shortly after, at around 17:21 UTC, codfw lost power in multiple rows, which prompted a emergency switchover back to eqiad. Incident follow up in T439010: codfw power outage The switchover has been definitively postponed while codfw power stabilizes.
