Discussed at Collaboration team meeting, July 7 2015 -- we may be able to do this with a "Mute" button on Echo items that you don't want to hear about anymore.
Needs more discussion + spec.
Use-case #1: Translated subpages
I'm getting link notifications for each translation to a page.
For this particular case, the simplest solution is to exclude all translations. When they visit the original, they will still see the translation bar at the top letting them go to their language.
I filed this as a more general bug, since there might be other categories or types of pages to exclude from this notification later.
Use-case #2: Pages I simply don't want to be notified about, but wish to continue watchlisting
Many onwiki requests for this feature.
@Quiddity wrote below: E.g. "I've created many disambiguation pages, and I don't want to keep being reminded about them via Echo. But I do want to know when someone links to the more complex articles that I've started. Essentially, a blacklist for page-linked."
Use-case #3: Pages linked in a navbox template
If a page is added to a navbox, then I receive notifications whenever someone either
- adds that navbox to a new page, or
- subsequently edits a page which already included the navbox, whether that subsequent edit is hours or years from now (e.g. the confusion in T144785: Page links notifications sent without apparent cause)
I would like to either:
- find a way to exclude links-within-navboxes from triggering these notifications. I should only be notified about the addition of the link to the navbox itself. Or,
- understand the cause of the notification more clearly/immediately (from the notification message itself), if it was triggered by a link within a navbox (it currently requires explanation from an experienced user).
- T66090: Allow "article-linked" notifications for pages in a user defined list - the opposite-partner of this, a "whitelist" to this task's "blacklist"
- T115264: Notification panel: Control notification volume - including Pau's mockups in T115264#2248740 one of which includes the idea of a plaintext blacklist
- T70060#2166931 - comment includes: "A more complicated implementation would be to create a new special page similar to Special:EditWatchlist that was automatically populated with all the content namespace pages that a user had created, but that the user could freely add and remove pages for. Maybe it would be called Special:EditLinkNotificationList. It would probably require a new database table to function efficiently though."