Semantic MediaWiki would benefit from being multilingual-capable out of the box. We could integrate it with the Translate extension. This can be done in some isolated steps, but there is a need to list all the things in need of translation and define appproach and priority for each of them. Some of the steps could be:
- Fix the issues that prevent full localisation of Semantic Forms.
- Enhance Special:CreateForm and friends (all the Special:Create* special pages by Semantic Forms) to create forms that are already i18n -ed with placeholders and message group for Translate extension.
- Make it possible to define translation for properties and create a message group for Translate extension, similar to what CentralNotice does (sending strings for translation to Translate message groups).
- There are lot of places where properties are displayed: many special pages, queries, property pages. Some thinking is required to find out a sensible way to handle translations on all these places.
- In most wikis, properties names are supposed to be hidden to the user, e.g. queries results are usually shown in infobox-like templates (whose labels could in theory be localised as all templates).
Translate would be fed with the strings in need of translation. Localised strings/messages would be displayed based on the interface language, that in core every user can set on Special:Preferences and with ULS is made way easier to pick for everyone including unregistered users.
For real field testing, WikiApiary could be used, or at worst translatewiki.net (quick deployments, little SMW content).
For further material, see https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Multilingual_Semantic_MediaWiki and follow the links.
- Skills: PHP and web frontend; having used Semantic MediaWiki and Semantic Forms is a plus.
- Suggested micro-task: submit a patch for one of the bugs linked above; then get it merged, or get an i18n bug fixed (see the list at T40638 under "Blocked by" and the list of open Language Engineering bugs); then feel free to contact the mentors about this project.
- Mentors: Niklas Laxström, Federico Leva, Yaron Koren.
- Estimated project time for a senior contributor: 2-3 weeks