Page MenuHomePhabricator

[l10n] LocalisationUpdate can incorrectly report/log success
Open, MediumPublic

Description

I have it on good authority that the LocalisationUpdate script can sometimes incorrectly/inaccurately report success (e.g., outputting "!log LocalisationUpdate completed (1.22wmf1) at Wed Apr 17 02:10:22 UTC 2013" to the server admin log) when in reality the localisation update did not run successfully.

The error-checking or reporting logic needs a review. Filing this as a bug so that this issue doesn't get lost.


Version: unspecified
Severity: normal

Details

Reference
bz47301

Event Timeline

bzimport raised the priority of this task from to Medium.Nov 22 2014, 1:42 AM
bzimport added a project: Deployments.
bzimport set Reference to bz47301.
bzimport added a subscriber: Unknown Object (MLST).

(In reply to comment #0)

I have it on good authority that the LocalisationUpdate script can sometimes
incorrectly/inaccurately report success (e.g., outputting "!log
LocalisationUpdate completed (1.22wmf1) at Wed Apr 17 02:10:22 UTC 2013" to
the
server admin log) when in reality the localisation update did not run
successfully.

Of course concrete examples would help understand the issue.

(In reply to comment #1)

Of course concrete examples would help understand the issue.

Is there an easy way to verify that the localisation update actually took place? I don't think the date of the most recent update is stored anywhere currently.

(In reply to comment #2)

(In reply to comment #1)

Of course concrete examples would help understand the issue.

Is there an easy way to verify that the localisation update actually took
place?

Yes, the output you mentioned in comment 0. :)

I don't think the date of the most recent update is stored anywhere
currently.

I wonder if you mean that Special:Version should also contain the timestamp of CDB files or something.

(In reply to comment #3)

Yes, the output you mentioned in comment 0. :)

I can tell you that I updated the localisation cache and I can tell the server log that I updated the localisation cache, but that doesn't mean it was actually updated.

I wonder if you mean that Special:Version should also contain the timestamp
of CDB files or something.

Something like that, yeah. Though it's possible that the .cdb file could be modified (touched), but not updated.

It would be helpful to track down the specific update script being run daily. It looks like it's not extensions/LocalisationUpdate/update.php.

(In reply to comment #0)

I have it on good authority that the LocalisationUpdate script can sometimes
incorrectly/inaccurately report success [...]

This was based on a comment from Tim, probably in -operations or -tech. A transcript may be helpful here.

Change 88009 had a related patch set uploaded by Nemo bis:
Add Icinga check for l10nupdate & drop !log-based alerts

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/88009

Note: Patch mentioned here got a -1 in Gerrit.

Moving to Wikimedia, as logging is not in the extension itself.

greg added a comment.Sep 22 2014, 10:09 PM

The patch from Ori (not Nemo as the Gerrit bot thought) stalled out, unfortunately.

greg moved this task from To Triage to Backlog (Tech) on the Deployments board.Nov 25 2014, 11:35 PM
Reedy added a subscriber: Reedy.Jan 5 2015, 6:42 PM

It seems it doesn't always log when it fails either. See also T85790

hashar removed a subscriber: hashar.Jan 5 2015, 7:52 PM