Page MenuHomePhabricator

For git server, rewrite http urls to https
Closed, InvalidPublic

Description

http:// link that point to git, get a 404. Would it be worthwhile writing a rewrite in the apache config files that move the urls to https:// ?

Unthinkingly, and through habit, I made the mistake of making the link protocol neutral. I can see that it would be useful to help workaround for others making that mistake.


Version: wmf-deployment
Severity: enhancement

Details

Reference
bz49305

Event Timeline

bzimport raised the priority of this task from to Low.Nov 22 2014, 1:59 AM
bzimport added a project: HTTPS.
bzimport set Reference to bz49305.
bzimport added a subscriber: Unknown Object (MLST).

Well, I get

<paste>

Not Found

The requested URL /blob/mediawiki/extensions/ProofreadPage/e7233e3ba511bd859f16d36e84accb3342d858d9/ProofreadPage.body.php was not found on this server.

</paste>

It was pointed out to me

<quote> (ps your link is 404 error) </quote>

at https://en.wikisource.org/w/index.php?title=Wikisource:Requests_for_comment/Annotations_and_derivative_works&oldid=4467510

so it is not only me that has the issue.

Hmm, those /'s in the repo name (or file path) should be encoded as %2F :\

  • Bug 49827 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Is there still the problem with 404 errors?

I just tried the link on Wikisource (HTTP and HTTPS versions) with IE8/WinXP, Firefox 3.0.3/WinXP, Opera 10/WinXP, Opera 12.16/Ubuntu Lucid, Firefox 20/Ubuntu Lucid and I never experienced a 404 error (neither another error). What browsers did you have?

The Apache config of git.wikimedia.org didn’t really change since the beginning (see operations/puppet/templates/apache/sites/git.wikimedia.org).

I thought also about an encoding bug in MediaWiki; I tried with the MediaWiki version which was on Wikisource then (1.22/wmf5) but the HTML really gives slashes encoded as %2F and didn’t experienced the error (with Opera 12.16/Ubuntu Lucid).

I stop here the investigation about 404 error, unless there is still the problem. (the 404 error is a different bug than the bug title "rewrite http -> https".)

Aklapper claimed this task.

Cannot reproduce either - at least there is no problem about http not redirecting to https what this task is about, hence closing this task.

If there's a common issue about %2F vs. / in URLs: That could be a separate task, though lowest priority as we plan to kill Gerrit at some point in favor of Phabricator, plus probably something that's got to get tackled in upstream and not in Wikimedia's configuration.