VisualEditor: IME shift+ function for adding diacritical marks in Arabic broken
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

Author: pearley

Description:
From http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Thread:VisualEditor/Feedback/Problem_with_using_shift%2B

"Hi. I have been using the visual editor for a while on ar Wikipedia, it is very nice and smooth for fast edits. However, I am facing a very strange problem when I need to add some Arabic diacritics known as tashkil; when I press shift+diacritic button (like x, e, or z) the letter I pressed starts to repeat itself endlessly, and it can only be stopped by refreshing the page and wasting the work I have did. Any thoughts?"


Version: unspecified
Severity: major
See Also:
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50631

bzimport set Reference to bz50105.
bzimport created this task.Via LegacyJun 24 2013, 3:31 PM
Jdforrester-WMF added a comment.Via ConduitJun 24 2013, 4:13 PM

Bumping priority, moving module, assigning, slight rewording; note that we can't fix things in the past (;-)), so setting to next week's deployment deadline.

bzimport added a comment.Via ConduitJun 24 2013, 4:15 PM

pearley wrote:

Thanks James - first bug report.

Jdforrester-WMF added a comment.Via ConduitJun 24 2013, 4:19 PM

(In reply to comment #2)

Thanks James - first bug report.

No worries. :-) Welcome to the party.

dchan added a comment.Via ConduitAug 19 2013, 6:19 PM

I think this may be resolved by the following patch:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/79451 . It fixes similar bugs in other scripts with similar properties.

If it's still broken, is it possible to give a specific example of:

  1. A piece of Arabic text where VisualEditor fails
  2. The keystrokes required to enter the text
  3. The incorrect output observed in VisualEditor
  4. The OS, browser and input method used.

Thanks!

gerritbot added a comment.Via ConduitAug 20 2013, 7:41 PM

Change 80080 had a related patch set uploaded by Jforrester:
WIP:Don't emit Surface changes back to the Surface

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/80080

bzimport added a comment.Via ConduitAug 20 2013, 10:24 PM

aaddira wrote:

Thank you. I have tested all possible diacritics on Arabic Wikipedia and everything is working great. Good job!

gerritbot added a comment.Via ConduitAug 22 2013, 9:48 AM

Change 80080 merged by jenkins-bot:
Don't emit Surface changes back to the Surface

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/80080

Jdforrester-WMF added a comment.Via ConduitAug 22 2013, 8:12 PM

Given that this is now merged, I'm going to mark this as fixed. However, this is provisional - please re-open if you think that this has not worked!

Jdforrester-WMF moved this task to TR3: Language support on the VisualEditor workboard.Via WebTue, Jul 21, 8:43 PM
Jdforrester-WMF set Security to None.
Jdforrester-WMF set Story Points to 8.

Add Comment