A lot of infoboxes et al - the one on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulgencio_(Modern_Family) comes to mind - have infoboxes /within/ the infoboxes that need editing. I'm not sure what the answer is here - it feels wrong, somehow, to offer an infinitely deep template inspector inside a template inspector inside...etc, but I can't think of another solution short of manually going around making the template namespace make sense or accepting that users will always have to learn markup, just not immediately.
|Open||None||T84936 Release VisualEditor-MediaWiki as "1.0"|
|Open||None||T85477 Allow to add special characters to infoboxes, citation templates, and other templates|
|Open||None||T55613 Create dedicated input methods for transclusion parameters (using "Param#type" from TemplateData)|
|Open||None||T52355 VisualEditor: Add support for editing templates' parameters as DOM elements ("visually"), including supporting nested templates|
|Stalled||None||T71870 Enable DOM editing of transclusion parameters|
|Open||None||T85937 Parallelize template or template parameter expansion|
|Open||None||T76551 Provide support for multiple small surfaces with a shared toolbar (or something else?)|
|Open||None||T76550 Provide true nested, inheriting surfaces|
|Stalled||DLynch||T49344 Internal nodes should eventually be in a separate document ("sub-documents")|
- Mentioned In
- T168334: I want to use the citoid service to put references within a template
T85477: Allow to add special characters to infoboxes, citation templates, and other templates
T55613: Create dedicated input methods for transclusion parameters (using "Param#type" from TemplateData)
T89615: Comment syntax shown in template's name in VisualEditor
Comments from discussion about this:
- Wikitext button should look depressed when used. MW theme needs this to be improved mode generally. Need to avoid mode error
- Important to remember that the types aren’t for validation, just hints – don’t frustrate the user if they want to over-ride, make it easy to replace.
- Styling of wikitext mode needs improving.
- Need to separate “allowing to use VE” from “helping with type hinting”
- Flow has this issue too (switching mode) – share feature design?
- Edge case (partial wikitext) for not being able to use VE isn’t very common, we believe?
- One switch for the whole dialog?
- In Advanced mode? (alongside multi-template transclusion editing)
- Possibly get rid of the (i) too, to simplify the clutter around boxes?