VisualEditor cannot get full TemplateData on zhwiki (language variant issue?)
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

screenshot of the dialogue

I added TemplateData to Template:X1 (this is a sandbox)
Then, I go to my personal sandbox User:Waihorace/sandbox/VE to try adding Template X1 to that page.
I pressed the button that allow me to add template (don't know its exact English wording)
It prompt me to enter a template name, so I typed in X1
Then, it comes out that the description is not shown, parma names are not shown, but the list of parma is given for me to choose.

Why the description and the name and description of the parma is not shown, while https://zh.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=templatedata&titles=Template:X1&format=jsonfm works?

( X1 is a template which will be cleared by a bot automatically. To reproduce, check if the content is still there or otherwise revent back to oldid=27156695 )


Version: unspecified
Severity: normal
See Also:
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50431

Attached:

bzimport added a project: TemplateData.Via ConduitNov 22 2014, 1:54 AM
bzimport set Reference to bz50888.
Waihorace created this task.Via LegacyJul 7 2013, 2:11 PM
He7d3r added a comment.Via ConduitJul 7 2013, 2:49 PM

Created attachment 12774
API response

To make it easier, after I restored your edit at
https://zh.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=27157124
the content of
https://zh.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=templatedata&titles=Template:X1&format=jsonfm
was like in the attached file.

What was your user language preference when you tested this?

Does the problem happens on both of the following URLs?
https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Waihorace/sandbox/VE?veaction=edit&uselang=zh
https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Waihorace/sandbox/VE?veaction=edit&uselang=en

For me the bug only happens in the second one, and I think this is the same as bug 50431.

Attached: templatedata.json

Waihorace added a comment.Via ConduitJul 7 2013, 3:10 PM

(In reply to comment #1)

Created attachment 12774 [details]
API response

To make it easier, after I restored your edit at
https://zh.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=27157124
the content of
https://zh.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?action=templatedata&titles=Template:
X1&format=jsonfm
was like in the attached file.

What was your user language preference when you tested this?

Does the problem happens on both of the following URLs?
https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Waihorace/sandbox/
VE?veaction=edit&uselang=zh
https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Waihorace/sandbox/
VE?veaction=edit&uselang=en

For me the bug only happens in the second one, and I think this is the same
as
bug 50431.

The bug only happens in the second one.
I think the problem that I reported comes out because of the language conversion of Chinese Wikipedia.

The TemplateData only works on zh, but not any variant of Chinese (e.g. zh-hans, zh-hant, zh-tw, zh-cn, zh-hk, zh-sg, zh-mo). Should the data in zh be applied in those 7 variants, or otherwise, editors need to set the description for every variants which is time-wasting.

Attached: templatedata.json

gerritbot added a comment.Via ConduitOct 31 2013, 12:55 AM

Change 92826 had a related patch set uploaded by Krinkle:
dm.MWTemplateSpecModel: Resolve translations through the TemplateData API

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/92826

gerritbot added a comment.Via ConduitOct 31 2013, 9:42 PM

Change 92826 merged by jenkins-bot:
dm.MWTemplateSpecModel: Resolve translations through the TemplateData API

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/92826

Add Comment

Column Prototype
This is a very early prototype of a persistent column. It is not expected to work yet, and leaving it open will activate other new features which will break things. Press "\" (backslash) on your keyboard to close it now.