PamD at the English Wikipedia reports that there is no easy way to add new content between a reflist and a template that follows it before you save the page.
This is a problem if your workflow is to add the stub template before adding the external links, which is entirely reasonable.
Steps to reproduce (option 1):
- create page with references and a reflist.
- add a template (e.g. a stub template) after the reflist
- add content between the references list and the template (e.g. an external links section).
Steps to reproduce (option 2):
- Go to a page with no content between a reflist block and a template (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tyson_R._Roberts&oldid=565739822&veaction=edit )
- Delete all content after the reflist:
- Add a template (e.g. a stub template)
- Add content between the references list and the template (e.g. an external links section).
There is a workaround: select the reflist, press the right cursor key once, press enter. This gets you a blank line with which to work from.
There should be somewhere to click between the reflist and the stub template, just as there is after the page has been saved and reopened in VE.