Page MenuHomePhabricator

Mobile editor silently fails when abusefilter is triggered
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

Author: jgonera

Description:
Mobile editor fails if a given wiki uses abusefilter. An example is plwiki. I couldn't reproduce it all the times, but half of the times when trying to edit the API returned an abusefilter message saying that I was removing a lot of text (even though I was removing a single word) and the edit failed. It seemed that the second attempt would usually succeed.

Unfortunately, as it is now, when this happens the editor will show a success message and close, but will not save anything, making the user lose their changes.

This is similar to bug 52047, however the fix is not the same.


Version: unspecified
Severity: normal
See Also:
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=52077

Details

Reference
bz52049

Event Timeline

bzimport raised the priority of this task from to Needs Triage.
bzimport set Reference to bz52049.
bzimport added a subscriber: Unknown Object (MLST).
bzimport created this task.Jul 25 2013, 7:24 PM

jgonera wrote:

Request that triggered abusefilter

The edit was only adding a dot after the last sentence.

Attached:

jgonera wrote:

Response from the abusefilter

The message says that I removed a lot of text and if I'm sure what I'm doing. It tells me to hit Save again if I do.

Attached:

jgonera wrote:

Trying to edit again (same edit, adding a dot), succeeds. This means that a possible solution would be to show the Save button again when we receive an abusefilter message. We need to show the message too, although it's tricky because it's in horrible HTML format (see attachment; should we just strip HTML?).

jgonera wrote:

Response from the abusefilter (eswiki)

I've just run into that on eswiki too.

Attached:

(In reply to comment #0)

half of the times when trying to edit
the API returned an abusefilter message saying that I was removing a lot of
text (even though I was removing a single word) and the edit failed.

This might not be a mobile-specific problem - see bug 52077

jgonera wrote:

That may solve the problem of getting an abusefilter message about removing a lot of text when making small changes, but we still need to implement abusefilter messages on mobile.

Change 76215 had a related patch set uploaded by JGonera:
Show error message on CAPTCHAs and extension errors

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/76215

Change 76215 merged by jenkins-bot:
Show error message on CAPTCHAs and extension errors

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/76215

jgonera wrote:

I'm not sure if we should mark this fixed. This should still be implemented.

Change 76633 had a related patch set uploaded by MaxSem:
Show error message on CAPTCHAs and extension errors

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/76633

Change 76633 merged by jenkins-bot:
Show error message on CAPTCHAs and extension errors

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/76633

mgrover wrote:

Max deployed this today and I tested looks good.

mgrover wrote:

Max added additional error messaging but the issue still exists so reopening.

Change 88899 had a related patch set uploaded by JGonera:
Story 1269: AbuseFilter support

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/88899

Change 88899 merged by jenkins-bot:
Story 1269: AbuseFilter support

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/88899