The cog to the side of the "Languages" sidebar section does, in fact, not let you change anything about that section.
- The ULS "cog" is visually associated with the "Languages" sidebar section, despite being unrelated, other than (confusingly) relating to the word "Language" in some way. The placement of this cog should be reconsidered.
- The "Language" sidebar does not currently have a way to quickly edit its contents. (Unlike HotCat for categories). It can be changed by performing a full page edit (via the main "Edit" button on top). Alternatively, the links can (sometimes) be edited using the "Edit links" placed at the end of the link, which relates to Wikidata.
There are three things related here:
- Edit language links on current page: This is part of the content for the current page, and can be edited by clicking "Edit" and changing them in VisualEditor (under "Page Settings > Languages"), or by using the source editor.
- Edit language links associated with current page's Wikidata item: These are stored on Wikidata and can be edited by using the "Edit links" button at the bottom of "Languages" sidebar section.
- User interface language: This is the language used for the interface of the software, names of input fields, sections, buttons, etc. This can be changed in three ways currently:
|Preferences||"Preferences" among the personal tools. Available on all pages, all wikis. leading to Special:Preferences.|
|ULS (personal)||The ULS link (language name) among the person tools. Available on all pages, but only certain wikis have it enabled. Leading to a ULS dialog dedicated to language selection.|
|ULS (cog)||The ULS cog, aside the "Languages" section in the sidebar. Available only on content pages, all wikis. Leads to a different ULS dialog, one that also has other features, but among them language selection.|