- This is language/script specific diacritic specific bug split from T53472: VisualEditor: Backspace deletes combined character clusters together with diacritics
- For language Marathi Script Devanagari anuswara diacritic is ं
- If one types the anuswara diacritic ं after any devanagari script alphabet it is usually place above the concerned alphabet. For example क is a Marathi/Devanagari alphabet if I type क+ ं I get कं
- If I place cursor before the cluster कं and press delete then whole cluster gets deleted and that is right way to happen, and this behaviour needs to be retained (since if basic alphabet is not there then no need of anuswara diacritic ं) .
- Problem: In Visual Editor if I place cursor after the cluster e.g. after कं and press backspace current behaviour is the whole cluster gets deleted. Example कं + Backspace key = results in whole cluster getting deleted.
- Expected behaviour is: Cluster with anuswara diacritic (कं) + Backspace key = retain rest of cluster(retain क ) and only anuswara diacritic ं should get deleted.
- Reason: During spell correction many times we need to retain rest of the cluster and only change the diacritics. For anuswara ं diacritic spell change is required frequently for various reasons like change in singular-plural tense. Every time retyping the whole cluster is cumbersome. Traditional Source editing behaviour is proper and expected and problem is coming only with VisualEditor behaviour.
- For example please see this https://mr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=कृष्ण_श्रीनिवास_अर्जुनवाडकर&diff=1198833&oldid=1198826 edit difference a user had to change this diacritic at several places.
Since users would be reluctant to use VE without correct behaviour, I would prefer this being treated as a bug not just enhancement and to have fair importance level.