Please enable the ota or Ottoman Turkish language
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

Author: Gerard.meijssen

Description:
The Ottoman Turkish language is the first language that has been granted the status of "eligible" for the Wikidata project. It does not need localisation and it is unlikely that it will be enabled on another project.'
Thanks,

GerardM

Formal agreement exists from the Board of the WMF.

osa سان عثمانى‎


Version: unspecified
Severity: enhancement
Whiteboard: u=dev c=backend p=0
See Also:
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=73317

Details

Reference
bz57342
bzimport set Reference to bz57342.
bzimport added a subscriber: Unknown Object (MLST).
bzimport created this task.Nov 21 2013, 7:01 AM

This should be done using:

$wgExtraLanguageNames['<code>'] = '<Autonym>';

in the configuration of the relevant wiki.

Moved to Wikimedia - Site requests.

Lydia, can you please have someone figure out if what I mentioned in comment 1 is enough for Wikidata support for a language code?

According CLDR information, Ottoman Turkish code is ota, not osa.

osa is the language code for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osage_language

According to https://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmanl%C4%B1_T%C3%BCrk%C3%A7esi, I offer to use the following localized name:

لسان توركى

Change 96771 had a related patch set uploaded by Dereckson:
New extra language for wikidata: Ottoman Turkish (ota)

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/96771

(In reply to comment #2)

Lydia, can you please have someone figure out if what I mentioned in comment
1
is enough for Wikidata support for a language code?

I added Katie and Daniel to the review request. One of them should ok it to be sure.

So it seems unfortunately no-one in the team knows how 'wgExtraLanguageNames' works and if that'd cause issues for Wikidata. Can one of you please clarify?

See https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgExtraLanguageNames.

From DefaultSettings.php:

/**

  • List of language names or overrides for default names in Names.php */

$wgExtraLanguageNames = array();

Adding language code and autonyms here, will make them be returned by Language::fetchLanguageNames( null, 'mw' ), and effectively causes a supported language to be added, per the bug's request.

There are no uses of this global elsewhere, as far as I'm aware.

Change 96771 merged by jenkins-bot:
New extra language for wikidata: Ottoman Turkish (ota)

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/96771

aude added a comment.Jan 28 2014, 11:48 PM

I tried wikibase with the extra language code and looked at how the setting works in core (pulled in via fetchLanguageNames, which Wikibase uses to get language codes).

I don't see a problem with the extra language generally.

With ota, it is a right-to-left language but mediawiki / wikibase doesn't seem to know that and shows it as ltr.

Also, it does not appear available in ULS so i need to do uselang=ota.

I am not sure what is expected.

[ Adding i18n keyword to get feedback from I18n team about what to do to make it appear in ULS, and handle RTL. ]

[all patches merged; resetting status.]

I verified that ota can be selected in preferences, and that's enough: language selection via ULS on Wikidata is not a requirement for this bug.

aude added a comment.Nov 12 2014, 4:43 PM

see bug 73317 for remaining issue with handling ota as a rtl language.

Change 176610 had a related patch set uploaded (by Legoktm):
Extra language names configuration for Wikidata

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/176610

Patch-For-Review

Change 176610 had a related patch set uploaded (by Dereckson):
Extra language names configuration for Wikidata

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/176610

Patch-For-Review

Change 176610 merged by jenkins-bot:
Extra language names configuration for Wikidata

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/176610

Restricted Application added a subscriber: Matanya. · View Herald TranscriptDec 9 2015, 10:16 AM