Page MenuHomePhabricator

Default for $wgMaxShellMemory too low
Closed, DeclinedPublic

Description

Reported on Support Desk https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Thread:Project:Current_issues/Default_for_$wgMaxShellMemory_too_low

since update to mediawiki 1.22 I got many errors like this in my logs:

PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib64/php/modules/xmlreader.so' -
/usr/lib64/php/modules/xmlreader.so: failed to map segment from shared object:
Cannot allocate memory in Unknown on line 0

PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib64/php/modules/xmlrpc.so' -
/usr/lib64/php/modules/xmlrpc.so: failed to map segment from shared object:
Cannot allocate memory in Unknown on line 0

PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib64/php/modules/xmlwriter.so' - /usr/lib64/php/modules/xmlwriter.so: failed to map segment from shared object: Cannot allocate memory in Unknown on line

0 PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib64/php/modules/xsl.so' - /usr/lib64/php/modules/xsl.so: failed to map segment from shared object: Cannot allocate memory in Unknown on line

0 PHP Warning: PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/lib64/php/modules/zip.so' - /usr/lib64/php/modules/zip.so: failed to map segment from shared object: Cannot allocate memory in Unknown on line 0

PHP Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 262144) (tried to allocate 523800 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

after some googling I found out that due to some changes in mediawiki, the
default for $wgMaxShellMemory is too low, even the raised one from 1.22

raising $wgMaxShellMemory to 512000 solved the problem for me.

Seems like a no-brainer to raise it...


Version: 1.23.0
See Also:
T60719: Jobs are no longer executed

Details

Reference
bz60844

Event Timeline

bzimport raised the priority of this task from to Normal.Nov 22 2014, 2:54 AM
bzimport set Reference to bz60844.
bzimport added a subscriber: Unknown Object (MLST).

If raising $wgMaxShellMemory did in fact stop the warnings, this may be yet another issue caused by ccabd0efb05e (the job queue change)...

(In reply to comment #1)

If raising $wgMaxShellMemory did in fact stop the warnings, this may be yet
another issue caused by ccabd0efb05e (the job queue change)...

Noted. I'll try to get the user to test this out.

Change 113038 merged by jenkins-bot:
Moved job running via $wgJobRunRate to a special API

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/113038

Krinkle updated the task description. (Show Details)Jul 4 2017, 1:03 AM
Krinkle updated the task description. (Show Details)Jul 4 2017, 1:06 AM
Krinkle updated the task description. (Show Details)
Krinkle closed this task as Declined.Jul 4 2017, 1:10 AM
Krinkle added a subscriber: Krinkle.

Declining due to lack of information.

Original report does not include any description of how, when or how frequent this warning occurred. Merely that it happens. "Out of memory" is a fairly generic warning that isn't actionable on itself. Later comments speculate it might relate to the JobQueue, but we have no reason to assume that at this time. Aside from that, JobQueue handling has been majorly refactored at least twice since the report in 2014.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Job_queue

Krinkle removed a subscriber: wikibugs-l-list.