Page MenuHomePhabricator

Language setting keeps resetting itself at kk: (due to use of $wgLanguageCode ?)
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

I can't get the internationalisation/language setting at kk:wikipedia to work properly.
Every time I change&save the preference (I tried English, Dansk, and Deutsch), and then visit a random article, it displays the interface messages in the wiki's default language, and displays this popout message from the ULS sidebar/toolbox: "English дегеннен тіл өзгертілді"
If I then visit the preferences page again, it displays a popout message saying "Language changed from қазақша".

It seems to work properly at other wikis.


Version: unspecified
Severity: normal
URL: https://kk.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%90%D1%80%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%B9%D1%8B:%D0%91%D0%B0%D0%BF%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%8B%D0%BC%D0%B4%D0%B0%D1%80
See Also:
https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=58790

Details

Reference
bz64440

Event Timeline

bzimport raised the priority of this task from to Medium.Nov 22 2014, 3:22 AM
bzimport set Reference to bz64440.
bzimport added a subscriber: Unknown Object (MLST).
Quiddity created this task.Apr 25 2014, 6:59 PM

Same problem with other browsers?
Do you know if others have experienced the same problem, by any chance?

There seem to be kk specific issues, see also bug 64452

  • Bug 64452 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Hmm user language setting seems completely ignored on content pages, even if you don't use ULS and set your language in Special:Preferences directly. When I set my user language to English, Special:Preferences speaks English, but other pages still speak kk (or one of its variant) in top-right links.

I suspect this is caused by the language converter.

greg added a comment.Apr 28 2014, 5:46 PM

Sub'ing and increasing/setting priority.

Language Team: Assessing and reducing priority is fine, just let the bug know what you think as soon as you can.

I can confirm the problem.

Browser error console only says:

TypeError: mw.beta is undefined

for
function trackClick( el, name ) {

		mw.beta.trackClick( el, 'PersonalBar', { [...] }

(In reply to Andre Klapper from comment #7)

I can confirm the problem.

Browser error console only says:

TypeError: mw.beta is undefined

for
function trackClick( el, name ) {

		mw.beta.trackClick( el, 'PersonalBar', { [...] }

Seems irrelevant. Is this for bug 63535?

TTO added a comment.Nov 8 2014, 7:21 AM

Can we try unsetting $wgLanguageCode and see if that fixes the problem? If not we can always put it back...

TTO added a comment.Nov 8 2014, 7:22 AM

(In reply to This, that and the other (TTO) from comment #10)

unsetting

i.e. removing the code that sets $wgLanguageCode

Change 172020 had a related patch set uploaded by TTO:
Don't fiddle with $wgLanguageCode in KkConverter

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/172020

Change 172020 merged by jenkins-bot:
Don't fiddle with $wgLanguageCode in KkConverter

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/172020

TTO added a comment.Nov 13 2014, 10:03 AM

Leaving this open for now as it's not certain that the patch fixes the issue. We will be able to test on kkwiktionary on 25 November.

greg added a comment.Dec 8 2014, 6:14 PM
In T66440#706707, @TTO wrote:

Leaving this open for now as it's not certain that the patch fixes the issue. We will be able to test on kkwiktionary on 25 November.

ping :)

TTO closed this task as Resolved.Dec 8 2014, 11:38 PM
TTO claimed this task.

Fixed :)