Page MenuHomePhabricator

New England Wikimedians website
Closed, DeclinedPublic

Description

Author: Ktr101

Description:
Requested site: newikimedians.org - wikimediane.org

If there is no possibility of moving the entire site to the second domain after we are incorporated, I would like to request that it be created there so that we don't move to move the entire site down the road. There was no online consensus to create this site, but there was an internal voice agreement at our last meeting amongst the officers to approve a website.

Now, for the specifics: Everyone can reads it, registered users can edit it, anyone can create an account, e-mail notifications should be on, translate can be turned on since we are in a multi-lingual area, we don't need any special namespaces, upload is allowed, although we will route people to Commons unless there is a real need to upload there.


Version: wmf-deployment
Severity: enhancement

Details

Reference
bz64557

Event Timeline

bzimport raised the priority of this task from to Normal.Nov 22 2014, 3:12 AM
bzimport set Reference to bz64557.
bzimport created this task.Apr 28 2014, 5:04 PM

There are some cases where WMF hosts redirects for non-WMF domains but I can't think of any case offhand where a full wiki is on a non-wmf domain.

You could have a wiki on a subdomain of wikimedia.org. "be" may be too ambiguous for a subdomain and we don't want to make new subsubdomains a la pa.us.wikimedia.org (TLS cert naming issues).

So any ideas for an unambiguous subdomain?

admin wrote:

I would recommend ne-us.wikimedia.org or neus.wikimedia.org and then have the affiliate setup the domain as a redirect on their end.

(In reply to jeremyb from comment #1)

"be" may be too

gah, autocorrect. "ne"

admin wrote:

I would not recommend ne.wikimedia.org as NE is the code for Niger.

Ktr101 wrote:

As much as I doubt that Niger will get a Wikimedia chapter in the forseeable future, usne.wikimedia.org might not be a bad compromise, then.

admin wrote:

Wikipedia Zero has invested in Niger - I like to be open to any potential future. :)

usne.wikimedia.org or ne-us.wikimedia.org?

Ktr101 wrote:

I support neus.wikimedia.org or usne.wikimedia.org because it is shorter and doesn't involve a hyphen, which would make it harder to tell people in person.

Why is Meta-Wiki insufficient for now?

What are the use-cases for a separate wiki?

Ktr101 wrote:

Essentially, we are limited in the amount of visibility that we can do and outreach. For example, we aren't able to utilize a side bar for the site, and this means that we aren't able to easily list things all at once, since there is an intro there instead. Additionally, being able to control our own Wiki would allow for us to create our own subpages that would be easily searchable and not have a "New England Wikimedians" prefix on all of the pages, giving us a more professional look. Going along those lines, we would be able to create our own e-mail addresses (which would not only give us uniformity, but allow for officers to use their own e-mails instead of their personal ones). It would also allow for us to list our website on publications and business cards without having to add the Meta domain before them, which will also help with the legitimacy aspect of things.

Let me know if this suffices as a good reason, as I kind of blended the two question responses together there.

(In reply to Kevin Rutherford from comment #8)

because it is shorter and
doesn't involve a hyphen, which would make it harder to tell people in
person.

I personally believe there is a high value in allowing potential users to determine (or at least guess) what the domain represents without having to actually visit it. Even better if it somehow follows an international standard. (e.g. country code or language code) (also useful for e.g. people reading all.dblist...)

People buying domain names or brainstorming brands/slogans often run into problems where the name domain spelling allows for ambiguous tokenization by humans (in case there are multiple plausible word boundaries).

I suppose we could have a redirect from neus or usne (or from ne.us.wikimedia.org or neweng.us.wikimedia.org) but we should not have a canonical name be a 4 char subdomain without punctuation.

IMO, NE should be reserved for Nebraska. How about canonical us-neweng.wikimedia.org and aliases could be neweng.us.wikimedia.org / usneweng.wikimedia.org ?

(also, keep in mind that there's a decent chance that if you decide to change the name in the future, your wiki renaming request may outlive the life of the wiki itself. or could just be WONTFIX'd :) so pick a good one now)

(In reply to Kevin Rutherford from comment #10)

Going along those lines, we would
be able to create our own e-mail addresses (which would not only give us
uniformity, but allow for officers to use their own e-mails instead of their
personal ones).

I don't think WMF offers any sort of email service for chapters. (other than OTRS aliases but those are role addresses not individual addresses)

You'll need to register a domain and host that separately.

(In reply to jeremyb from comment #11)

IMO, NE should be reserved for Nebraska.

(and also could be confused with "Northeast". i.e. a superset of the states in New England.)

Ktr101 wrote:

I would be supportive of the "neweng" thing, but I really don't see there being a possibility of Nebraska ever having a state chapter. The abbreviation of the chapter also runs in line with New York (nyc) and the District of Columbia's (dc) codes, and those are regional entities, not states. The United States is also a large area, so we can support multiple chapters. At the same time, we aren't going to have fifty chapters in the future, as that would create a lot of redundancy and repetition amongst users, as well create areas with a ton of people and others with virtually none at all. If it is confused for "Northeast", then let them click and find out, as we encompass an area of the United States that is referred to as the Northeast, as New York is in the Mid-Atlantic region. Based on this, it is also preferable to have a shorter name when most chapters are "wikimediaXX.com" or something like that. The idea is to make it as short as possible within reason, so that we can utilize it as best as we can. In terms of renaming, I don't see a reason why we'd even want to do so, unless we merged with New York City for some reason or added the Canadian Maritimes, and it is also more of a regional name than NYC or DC, as we used to be called Wikimedia Boston back in the day.

In terms of the e-mail service, I suppose that could be the case, and we will explore it later as we have no need for one at this time, since we don't have officers yet.

I believe both NYC and DC are absolutely unambiguous. (even more so in a United States context)

[[List of U.S. state abbreviations]] has only 2-letter subordinate abbreviations for ISO and all USPS abbreviations are 2 letters as well.

DC is the abbreviation used for DC in both columns (ISO/USPS) of that list.

NYC is 3 letters so it is clear that it is not a code from either of those columns. (on the international level cf. the requirement that 2 letter domain names go through an extra approval process whereas 1 and 3 letter domains do not have that requirement)
Also, NYC is a very widely used and recognized abbreviation for the city. I imagine it would be rare for someone see the name "nyc" and have to think long about what part of the world it was referring to.

NE is clearly ambiguous and in addition is 2 letters. For most people New England will not be the first thing they think of when they see the abbreviation. This is exacerbated if the US namespace is unclear. (e.g. if there's no punctuation between country and region)

I agree that we *might* never see a local recognized org in all 50 states but most states (I guess even Nebraska but the best example I have offhand is [[Lawrence, Kansas]]) have some cities or regions that are quite different from other parts of the state and have a large concentration of one our key editor demographics (students!) if not a concentration of active editors.

Is there a compelling reason not to reserve all valid 2 letter abbreviations for future use by those areas? (essentially copying what seems to already be the policy for 2 letter abbreviations in the global namespace) It's easy to assign them in the future but harder to take them back once they are already in use.

do you want the domain created at wikimediane.org, and then usne.wikimedia.org redirect there? Or have I got that backwards?

Note that chapter wikis e.g. wikimedia.org.uk are moving off the xx.wikimedia.org domains, for the sake of clarity and as noted above the langcode issues.

(In reply to TeleComNasSprVen from comment #16)

Note that chapter wikis e.g. wikimedia.org.uk are moving off the
xx.wikimedia.org domains, for the sake of clarity and

I don't believe that's an established trend? (i.e. what is the size of your sample set?)

as noted above the
langcode issues.

These are country codes not language codes.

Ktr101 wrote:

I would have liked to have done that, but I don't think that that is a popular idea (you have it backwards, essentially). I won't support anything more than three letters, because then we'll have an incredibly long name compared to the other chapters.

admin wrote:

Few quick notes. Ops has already asked AffCom to limit wiki recommendations outside of one level subdomain requests. This primarily has to do with SSL management. So they can forward domains to wherever, but the format should be XYZ.wikimedia.org and not XYZwikimedia.org or wx.yz.wikimedia.org as those are not supported by our SSL setup.

US-NE is the acronym AffCom has currently assigned to the New England group. It's possible a user group could one day appear in Nebraska, or that it could be confused for Northeast. However, Northeast is within New England - so I think that's okay. It's true that Nebraska has that state abbreviation, but statewide level (vs regional) is not preferred right now anyway - so I'm not terribly concerned. We would like go with their three digit acronym at that point. So Nebraska would likely be US-Neb or US-NB (USCG) code.

In any case, the format has been US-XY (see US-DC, US-NYC, and other proposed user groups such as US-MW and US-CAS) not XYUS - so I would recommend USXY.Wikimedia.org formatting. I personally think usne.wikimedia.org is fine as they are unlikely to have competition for the US-NE acronym for the foreseeable future (I recognize that is not an ideal statement - but it's what I've got to offer). However, I defer to group consensus on that. I do not think we will ever find a perfect solution, so I encourage the group to go with the best option on the table.

Ktr101 wrote:

I was also just thinking this over earlier, and I realized that there is another reason that "neweng" would never work, and it is because of the fact that it fits the names of many people in Asia, so we would essentially be running a site that has the names of multiple persons within the domain name.

Pharos added a comment.May 4 2014, 4:41 AM

usne.wikimedia.org looks like an excellent option to me.

Or even spelling out newengland.wikimedia.org would still be fairly short url.

(In reply to varnent from comment #19)

Few quick notes. Ops has already asked AffCom to limit wiki recommendations
outside of one level subdomain requests. This primarily has to do with SSL
management. So they can forward domains to wherever, but the format should
be XYZ.wikimedia.org and not XYZwikimedia.org or wx.yz.wikimedia.org as
those are not supported by our SSL setup.
US-NE is the acronym AffCom has currently assigned to the New England group.
It's possible a user group could one day appear in Nebraska, or that it
could be confused for Northeast. However, Northeast is within New England -
so I think that's okay. It's true that Nebraska has that state abbreviation,
but statewide level (vs regional) is not preferred right now anyway - so I'm
not terribly concerned. We would like go with their three digit acronym at
that point. So Nebraska would likely be US-Neb or US-NB (USCG) code.
In any case, the format has been US-XY (see US-DC, US-NYC, and other
proposed user groups such as US-MW and US-CAS) not XYUS - so I would
recommend USXY.Wikimedia.org formatting. I personally think
usne.wikimedia.org is fine as they are unlikely to have competition for the
US-NE acronym for the foreseeable future (I recognize that is not an ideal
statement - but it's what I've got to offer). However, I defer to group
consensus on that. I do not think we will ever find a perfect solution, so I
encourage the group to go with the best option on the table.

Ktr101 wrote:

Let's go with that, as I would be happy to use that instead of the other mentioned alternatives. Pharos, do you think we'd be able to host an e-mail service there, or should we start looking at outside services?

admin wrote:

AffCom discussed it in our meeting today - and we agree that US-NE is the acronym that will be utilized for New England. In the event that Nebraska one-day creates a user group, they will either be US-NEB or US-NB. So with that in mind, I suggest usne.wikimedia.org

Adding ops per https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Add_a_wiki

Need someone to run addWiki.php from /mediawiki/extensions/WikimediaMaintenance

I'll take this opportunity to renew my objection to using a canonical name without punctuation.

Ease of typing, length and risk of typos are not convincing arguments: we'll install redirects from your first choices to the canonical name. You can print your preferred name on business cards, etc.

(In reply to TeleComNasSprVen from comment #24)

Adding ops per https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Add_a_wiki

not ready for ops yet. shell can do everything but add to DNS AFAIK. (and anyone can submit the DNS change to gerrit)

To elaborate a bit:

the punctuation is most important for those people less involved with your region or chapters in general. Imagine the headache if we assigned chapters, thorgs and langs numeric subdomains and you didn't know which wiki a URL was associated with unless you happened to have that subdomain's numeric mapping memorized??? enwiki would be 0.wikimedia.org because it came first… (or for that matter we could just do away with DNS entirely :D)

Having mappings be as obvious as possible is very valuable. (within reason. I'm not suggesting spelling the whole thing out with no abbreviation either)

Ktr101 wrote:

Jeremy, there is going to be punctuation in the name, so are you objecting to the AffCom recommendation?

I'll patch up all the Apache, DNS and MediaWiki configs shortly.

I see the dispute between usne and us-ne. I see both are currently used as standards by two different chapter wikis. We have pa-us and nyc. I see Jeremy's issues with using usne as the name and I do kinda agree with him.

Therefore; I am going to do this. I am going to patch everything up as us-ne.wikimedia.org and then offer up to AffCom to discuss and open a new bug about redirecting usne.wikimedia.org to us-ne.wikimedia.org as this would be their decision about whether another wiki will be using usne.

I hope this will resolve most disagreements. Also, why the dispute over a simple hyphen in a name?

Change 133980 had a related patch set uploaded by John F. Lewis:
Add DNS for us-ne

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/133980

Change 133981 had a related patch set uploaded by John F. Lewis:
Apache set up for us-ne

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/133981

Change 133982 had a related patch set uploaded by John F. Lewis:
Add us_newikimedia set up configs

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/133982

admin wrote:

I agree that the punctuation debate is a little bit much. AffCom has already discussed this and weighed in. However, I will re-summarize. This affiliate's official acronym is US-NE, and so we are fine with whatever the affiliate would like regarding usne or us-ne.wikimedia.org - I personally recommend usne.wikimied.org - but do not feel as strongly about it as others seem to.

We did talk about the Nebraska concern, and here are a few quick thoughts:

  1. There are likely to be some overlap with region names and officially recognized names.
  2. New England is hoping to one-day become a chapter. If a group from Nebraska emerges, they will likely be encouraged to be a user group rather than a statewide (vs. regional) chapter. Of course it is possible over 20 years that could change, but many things are possible over that time. As such, in the event of Nebraska, they would be assigned US-NB (the other acronym used by orgs like the Coast Guard that use NE for New England instead) or US-NEB.
  3. The hyphen itself is not something others seem to feel as strongly about. If the group's acronym is US-NE, it is unlikely that usne. or us-ne. would be assigned to another group. As to the argument that it will be easier for random people to find them, I think it is okay for their web domain to focus on people responding to their marketing efforts. The affiliate has requested usne.wikimedia.org - which AffCom has supported - I suggest setting that up for the website and a forward if it will appease concerns from others.

-greg aka varnent
AffCom

Change 133991 had a related patch set uploaded by John F. Lewis:
Redirect usne to us-ne

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/133991

Change 133992 had a related patch set uploaded by John F. Lewis:
Add usne DNS

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/133992

Created a redirect between usne.wikimedia.org to redirect to us-ne.wikimedia.org.

Hopefully this resolves everyone's issues and suits everyone's feedback/concerns?

Ktr101 wrote:

Going off of what Greg said, we have requested "usne.wikimedia.org" because it is not only shorter, but it also is easier to say in conversation. I don't really see the need for a hyphen, because this would require that we would have more punctuation within the domain, and might be harder to remember offhand. That being said, a redirect would be nice, but I would like it if it redirects from us-ne.wikimedia.org to usne.wikimedia.org, since that is what AffCom and we as an affiliate support.

Is there a Meta-Wiki link to approval for this wiki from the Affiliations Committee? (I assume Meta-Wiki is where the Affiliations Committee does its work, but maybe it has its own wiki. In any case, this bug should cross-reference the recommendation from the committee to create yet another wiki.)

I continue to be quite wary of continued wiki proliferation like this. Meta-Wiki certainly has visual limitations currently, but those really are superficial and solvable.

(In reply to MZMcBride from comment #37)

Is there a Meta-Wiki link to approval for this wiki from the Affiliations
Committee? (I assume Meta-Wiki is where the Affiliations Committee does its
work, but maybe it has its own wiki. In any case, this bug should
cross-reference the recommendation from the committee to create yet another
wiki.)

[[m:Affiliations Committee/Resolutions/New England Wikimedians]]

Plus an AffCom member has been posting here in regards to naming standards of the wiki.

admin wrote:

Technically AffCom only advises on the creations of affiliate wikis and mailing lists, we do not formally approve each one. We are working on some general recommendations, but for now we are recommending the creation of wikis for affiliates recognized by AffCom - which New England user group has been. I defer to the affiliate on preference to the inclusion of a hyphen, but again, I have brought both this wiki and the acronym issue up with AffCom and we do support the creation of this wiki at a USNE subdomain.

-greg aka varnent
AffCom

Ktr101 wrote:

MZM, the main issue about working on Meta is that we are very limited right now in our outreach activities, when we are citing multiple pages for events. Granted, having one more page will not necessarily help this issue, but the idea is to move off of the Meta page and onto the new site in order to give us an official location for outreach. Additionally, having a site will give us more legitimacy in the short-term, as we will be able to run our on affairs without creating a ton of sub-pages under our Meta page.

(In reply to Kevin Rutherford from comment #41)

MZM, the main issue about working on Meta is that we are very limited right
now in our outreach activities, when we are citing multiple pages for
events.

Many chapters and groups have some alternate domain registered. For example, wikimediadc.org or wikimedia.de. You could easily make wikimediane.org/wiki/Foo redirect to meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_New_England/Foo. Or have usne.wikimedia.org/wiki/Foo redirect to Meta-Wiki, for that matter.

There are plenty of other ideas to consider as well. There's no technical limitation to creating new wikis; in fact doing so is relatively easy and streamlined. However that doesn't mean that making new wikis is the correct solution to this problem. A lot of the work over the past few years has been trying to merge content back into Meta-Wiki as hyper-specialized wikis are annoying to maintain.

Granted, having one more page will not necessarily help this issue,
but the idea is to move off of the Meta page and onto the new site in order
to give us an official location for outreach.

In addition to outreach.wikimedia.org, of course.

Additionally, having a site will give us more legitimacy in the short-term, as
we will be able to run our on affairs without creating a ton of sub-pages
under our Meta page.

We're overrun with wikis. The particular approach being discussed here will at least ensure that the wiki's software stays up-to-date, as the wiki will be part of the Wikimedia Foundation cluster, but it may also limit flexibility in terms of e-mail hosting and other sysadmin-type changes given that you'll be on the wikimedia.org domain.

Ktr101 wrote:

We actually discussed the names earlier, and consensus was to not do a "wikimediane.org" domain. What I meant to say is that we currently have things spread out over English Wikipedia, Meta, Meetup.com, Facebook, and Twitter. The eventual hope of having a new site is to turn Meta into a paragraph description, the English one into a location where we have basic notifications, and keep the rest for the other forms of notification. The eventual goal for this is to have a site for when we incorporate, since we are currently on a fast track to incorporate in the next year or so. That is part of the reason for requesting a site now, so that we can work on having it hosted by the Foundation, since it will allow for some ease in account use and whatnot.

I am actually a 'crat on Outreach, and having another page there would be a bad idea. It is also functionally dead as well for chapters, since mainly GLAM and Education projects go on there.

In terms of being "overrun with wikis", I really don't see a problem with another site, for reasons that I have outlined above. In terms of the e-mail hosting thing, I have actually pondered that issue before, but I think we will cross that bridge when we get to that point, which will be within the next two months.

(In reply to Kevin Rutherford from comment #0)

upload is allowed, although we will route people to
Commons unless there is a real need to upload there.

Should we then restrict upload to sysops? (Administrators)

(In reply to Kevin Rutherford from comment #43)

We actually discussed the names earlier, and consensus was to not do a
"wikimediane.org" domain.

No, I said you can't use that domain with a WMF wiki. You could use that domain
if you host it somewhere else.

Your comment 36 seems to conflict with comment 27. Unless "name" does not mean
domain name.

The name of the site as submitted in patches by John is "Wikimedia New
England". So there's no punctuation. But that's fine. I thought we were
discussing the /domain name/.

(In reply to Kevin Rutherford from comment #27)

Jeremy, there is going to be punctuation in the name, so are you objecting
to the AffCom recommendation?

(In reply to Kevin Rutherford from comment #36)

Going off of what Greg said, we have requested "usne.wikimedia.org" because
it is not only shorter, but it also is easier to say in conversation.

So, then use usne in conversation, business cards, etc.

But my argument was about the canonical address. The name that shows up in your
address bar when you visit and therefore the name that shows up in
[[special:sitematrix]] and [[special:interwiki]] (and the URLs expanded from
interwiki links), links people send in emails/IRC when referring to specific
pages on the wiki, etc.

We have many tools, services and names of individual machines unrelated to
chapters operating under the wikimedia.org parent domain. Some are wikis, many
are not. e.g. bugzilla, meta, outreach, icinga, gerrit, wikitech, irc, git,
graphite, doc, apt, etc. Maybe it would be apparent to a chemist whether or not
usne was a chemical element or not but I can imagine some people being unsure.

(actually, confusingly I think we once ran or considered running an application
named for a chemical element and we already had a physical machine with the
same name. and graphite is a form of a chemical but not the canonical name for that chemical.)

It should IMHO at least be apparent to users seeing the address that it is
related to the US or at least that "US" and "NE" should be separate tokens.

I
don't really see the need for a hyphen, because this would require that we
would have more punctuation within the domain, and might be harder to
remember offhand.

Why do you need to remember it at all?

That being said, a redirect would be nice, but I would
like it if it redirects from us-ne.wikimedia.org to usne.wikimedia.org,
since that is what AffCom and we as an affiliate support.

The patches as submitted thus far do exactly the opposite.

And I just reviewed/commented on them all. Easy access to them all:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/bug:64557,n,z

re MZMcBride's comments about having chapter wikis at all:

  • re email services I said in comment 12: "You'll need to register a domain and host that separately."
  • IMO New England is now at a point where having its own website that it controls (i.e. is not shared with the rest of meta) is reasonable.
  • /WARNING/: But they are hereby warned in case they didn't already know: some configuration changes that require a shell user may take days or weeks to be deployed. (don't make changes too often and the time it takes to get a change made may vary from request to request)
  • I think we probably don't want to go creating wikis for every group of 5 editors that meets once a year. (and they probably don't want their own site anyway) New England is clearly much further along than that. In terms of the kinds of activities they run, the frequency of their meetings and the number of people that are involved. What exactly are the arguments against hosting wikis for groups with a record of substantial activity and potential for becoming a chapter in the forseeable future?

since we have "pa-us" (formerly pa.us and renaming is hard), we should have "ne-us" but please not "us-ne"!?

http://pa-us.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

admin wrote:

The Pennsylvania wiki is not run by an affiliate and currently locked - so I am not sure it's really setting precedent.

Again, their acronym is US-NE. That follows the acronym setup already being used for the US chapters recognized (US-NYC and US-DC). https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Affiliates

What specifically is your concern with US-NE for a subdomain?

(In reply to varnent from comment #47)

What specifically is your concern with US-NE for a subdomain?

that exisiting URLs and database names for another chapter that is also within the US is the other way around, leading to inconsistency and confusion for the users and admins. and that there was already quite a bit of effort spent in the past just to rename pa.us to pa-us. if you say that wiki is closed or the URL has been wrong all this time, that would be another thing.

admin wrote:

As far as web domains goes, there isn't really any consistency at this point with US entities (US-NYC is at nyc.wikimedia.org) - which is partly what we are hoping to address this issue as I suspect there will be more US affiliates popping up in the next few years.

The Pennsylvania wiki is closed, and I believe that yes, the URL has been wrong all this time. It should have been US-PA to match the setup used on Meta and all communication related to affiliates. However, that was also a relatively early US proto-affiliate - so it's possible we either did not have a practice for acronyms yet - or it was changed since then to better match ISO.

I think it would be more problematic to use one set of acronyms for the US affiliates in documentation, and then have their website address use the opposite setup. US-XYZ is the preferred format being used on-wiki - I think we should stay consistent with that.

I suspect Pennsylvania wiki was locked for archive sake - but it seems unlikely to me it will be used anytime soon (if ever again). It does not look like it has been used since 2007 - so maybe it's worth taking offline or storing on Meta or elsewhere?

Ktr101 wrote:

Also, if you look at our Meta template for user groups, you find many that have been merged into other ones, so just because it exists doesn't mean that we should follow the old ways that were founded before we had rules.

(In reply to Daniel Zahn from comment #46)

since we have "pa-us" (formerly pa.us and renaming is hard), we should have
"ne-us" but please not "us-ne"!?
http://pa-us.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

I think it should have been us-pa, but oh well...

You're asking for consistency, but doing this is part of the first step towards consolidating rules for wiki names. A first few cases might help in demonstrating the need for consistency.

Maybe the best solution would just be newengland.wikimedia.org ? They isn't really a standard official abbreviation for this region anyway, but the actual name is short enough itself.

(In reply to Pharos from comment #52)

Maybe the best solution would just be newengland.wikimedia.org ?

No please. USA chapters certainly must use "country/state codes" or equivalent and existing wikis hosted by WMF should at some point be unified. us-ne vs. ne-us is really a useless debate; can AffCom please flip a coin and declare a standard for the future? Thanks.

(In reply to Nemo from comment #53)

(In reply to Pharos from comment #52)

Maybe the best solution would just be newengland.wikimedia.org ?

No please. USA chapters certainly must use "country/state codes" or
equivalent and existing wikis hosted by WMF should at some point be unified.
us-ne vs. ne-us is really a useless debate; can AffCom please flip a coin
and declare a standard for the future? Thanks.

AffCom have agreed to use the us-ne format. The debate at the moment is between ops of whether to us us-ne or ne-us.

OK, if AffCom is for us-ne, that's good enough for me. Don't want to drag this out unnecessarily.

(In reply to John F. Lewis from comment #54)

AffCom have agreed to use the us-ne format. The debate at the moment is
between ops of whether to us us-ne or ne-us.

Ops withdrew the order objection. (removed the -1 in gerrit)

However comment 44 should still be answered.

Ktr101 wrote:

In response to Comment 44: No.

Status update? Do you still want a wiki to be created for New England?

(In reply to jeremyb from comment #58)

To elaborate, I was unsure exactly where we left it after your acquisition of your own second-level domain. (which you mentioned at the conference)

Will you host everything there or are we still going forward with this bug?

Ktr101 wrote:

Please place a hold on this, as we are currently discussing another option that would be more palatable to our tastes, partly due to the amount of discussion that has gone on here and the drama that went along with it.

Change 133980 abandoned by John F. Lewis:
Add DNS for us-ne

Reason:
no longer necessary

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/133980

Change 133981 abandoned by John F. Lewis:
Apache set up for us-ne

Reason:
no longer necessary

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/133981

Change 133991 abandoned by John F. Lewis:
Redirect usne to us-ne

Reason:
no longer necessary

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/133991

Change 133992 abandoned by John F. Lewis:
Add usne DNS

Reason:
no longer necessary

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/133992

Change 133982 abandoned by John F. Lewis:
Add us_newikimedia set up configs

Reason:
no longer necessary

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/133982

TTO added a comment.Sep 24 2014, 8:04 AM

Since http://ne-wikimedians.org has been set up, I suppose this request is no longer necessary?

closing for now. reopening bugs is cheap.