Page MenuHomePhabricator

OpenID prevents wiki update when running on an sqlite database
Open, Needs TriagePublic

Description

Intention:
I was updating a MediaWiki using OpenID and running on an sqlite db from 1.21.2 to 1.23.0.

Actual Results:
The OpenID extension prevented the maintenance/update.php script from completing with an error message stating that sqlite is “not yet” supported.

Expected Results:
The extension worked fine on 1.21.2, so I expected that the update script would run without problems. As a workaround, disabling the extension, running the upgrade script and then reenabling it will work without problems.

Reproducible: Didn't try

The wiki is running on Debian stable, but is not using the version of MediaWiki provided in the Debian repos.


Version: unspecified
Severity: minor

Details

Reference
bz66605

Related Objects

Event Timeline

bzimport raised the priority of this task from to Needs Triage.Nov 22 2014, 3:10 AM
bzimport set Reference to bz66605.
Fenhl created this task.Jun 14 2014, 12:47 AM
  • But please indicate the exact version of OpenID you use (copy the text from Special:Version page).

Ug, I am very sorry, I never supported SQlite, only MySQL and, the latest versions, PostgreSQL (see https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OpenID#MySQL_ok.2C_PostgreSQL_ok ).

Thansk for your "workaround" (" As a workaround, disabling the extension, running the upgrade script and then reenabling it will work without problems"), which also helped - in the past - other databases' users.

I recommend always to use the the lastet HEAD version, see detailed information in https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OpenID#Download .

Fenhl added a comment.Jun 14 2014, 6:40 AM

(In reply to T. Gries from comment #1)

  • But please indicate the exact version of OpenID you use (copy the text

from Special:Version page).

4.4.0 20140401 (1f3daaf) 2014-06-13T23:34:01

Ug, I am very sorry, I never supported SQlite, only MySQL and, the latest
versions, PostgreSQL (see
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OpenID#MySQL_ok.2C_PostgreSQL_ok ).

Are there any plans for official support? After all, judging by my workaround, it does not seem like much work.

I recommend always to use the the lastet HEAD version, see detailed
information in https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OpenID#Download .

Is there a specific reason HEAD is recommended over the release-specific branch? This seems inconsistent with the versioning of other extensions.

Is there a specific reason HEAD is recommended over the release-specific
branch? This seems inconsistent with the versioning of other extensions.

Since my early years as MediaWiki developer - I started in 2004 - I learnt, that only the (then-svn "trunk", now head) HEAD versions have the latest bugs and security issues fixed, and at those times, we did not have a regular release schedule. So I decided for my extensions, to only concentrate to keep every "head" extension version running together with the most recent versions in core.

This also means that I check the "update" code, when core requires a database change, the extension must be capable to work (and, if necessary, to adapt) to such changes.

"Every version": in the sense, everytime when I have the time to check the functionality with the new version.

Regarding sqlite: I never installed and used and tested E:OpenID with sqlite - if you want to help, you are welcome. Your present bugreport is a help, and perhaps we together can fix the "update does not work with Sqlite" issue.

The code is
https://git.wikimedia.org/blob/mediawiki%2Fextensions%2FOpenID/HEAD/OpenID.hooks.php#L506 and following. You will easily notice, that there is MySQLUpdater, and a PostgreSQL updater, but that an SQliteUpdater is simply *missing*. If you feel competent, please send me a proposal for a change, or make a commiot for review in Gerrit. But please test your change thoroughly before submitting and indicate along with the commit, that you have tested it successfully. (thanks for this).

In other words (short version): I keep E:OpenID head working against mediawiki core head. When MediaWiki makes a realease 1.xy, they make a "freeze snapshot" from the E:OpenID, but I do not do anything, especially, I do *never* check the correct working of a version 1.xy with the corresponding frozen E:OpenID version (which - In my view - would be nice, if someone checks this for every release.)

Krinkle set Security to None.
Krinkle added subscribers: Aklapper, Raymond.
Aklapper removed Wikinaut as the assignee of this task.Jun 18 2015, 2:08 PM

[Resetting task assignee to avoid cookie-licking. Please reclaim the task when you plan to actively work on this task. Thanks!]

Dereckson moved this task from Backlog to Schema needed on the SQLite board.May 20 2017, 10:18 AM