Let's aim to start removing the need for this code in enwiki (and then long term in other projects) and help update our software to meet the use cases/address the gaps that editors of that page have clearly identified.
Currently, the default gadgets (which registered users can opt-out) are these:
- MediaWiki:Gadget-charinsert.js, a loader for the script which makes the content of Edittools clickable (on edit, preview and upload). This has many different forks on other wikis.
- MediaWiki:Gadget-DRN-wizard-loader.js, another loader, for code used only in the page WP:Dispute resolution noticeboard/request
- MediaWiki:Gadget-featured-articles-links.js, used by a few wikis to add icons to the sidebar links to featured/good articles in other languages. no longer in use in en.wp.
- MediaWiki:Gadget-mySandbox.js, which provide a link to the user's /sandbox subpage
- MediaWiki:Gadget-ReferenceTooltips.js, used only on article, project, and help namespaces T67114: ReferencePreviews: Implement Citation Previews
- MediaWiki:Gadget-refToolbar.js the loader for the set of reference tools which is more appropriated to the current user's preferences (with respect to the edit toolbars and dialogs)
- MediaWiki:Gadget-switcher.js (new), use to "Show radio buttons to switch between views of certain content, such as some maps"
- MediaWiki:Gadget-teahouse.js, which is just a loader for a script which is used only in two pages.
- MediaWiki:Gadget-geonotice.js, another loader, for a script which shows geo-localized messages to users (exclusively in their Watchlist)