For readers of Tech News (October 2019):
The following may help with finding the problem script or with fixing the issue once once found:
If you want your wiki to be one of the first to try the new way that no longer has these global variables, leave a comment below. This can help find new issues that we may have missed. If your wiki choose to enable the new way, you can let us know to undo it if a problem is found.
- Migrate usage and gradually disable on Wikimedia wikis:
- Turn it off on test2.wikipedia.org. – T67011, bbfba08d31 (2014)
- Fix the Collection extension to not depend on these. T177259
- Turn it off on group0 wikis. (test.wikipedia.org, mediawiki.org, and read-only wikis)
- Turn it off for developers and in Continuous Integration for code merges. (DevelopmentSettings)
- Turn it off on Beta Cluster for all wikis.
- Turn it off on group1 wikis. (mostly non-Wikipedia)
- Turn it off everywhere. (+group2: Wikipedia)
- Turn it off by default in MediaWiki core. – T35837 (in release 1.35)
- Remove the feature. – (in release 1.36 or later)