Page MenuHomePhabricator

UnicodeDecodeError in pwb.py creating logfile
Closed, DeclinedPublic

Description

While trying to reproduce bug 55211 (using pwb.py)

$ python pwb.py replace.py -page:"A Ki vagy, Doki? epizódjainak listája" x v -lang:hu
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "pwb.py", line 142, in <module>
  logfile = logname % ''.join([os.path.basename(sys.argv[0])] + sys.argv[1:])

UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 43: ordinal not in range(128)

Bug introduced in original commit (90f85d0)


Version: compat-(1.0)
Severity: normal

Event Timeline

bzimport raised the priority of this task from to Needs Triage.Nov 22 2014, 3:58 AM
bzimport set Reference to bz72129.
bzimport added a subscriber: Unknown Object (????).

Should use pywikibot.argvu et al instead, I'd think.

(In reply to Merlijn van Deen from comment #1)

Should use pywikibot.argvu et al instead, I'd think.

argvu doesnt exist in compat. is there any equivalent somewhere in that codebase?

Note that pwb.py in compat does not quite do what you expect it to do... (i.e. it's completely unrelated to pwb.py in core)

And no, I don't think there's something like that in compat; I added it to core when I added Windows unicode command line argument support.

jayvdb set Security to None.
jayvdb removed a subscriber: Unknown Object (????).

patch available: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/166989/ (not sure why it wasnt automatically logged here)

Change 166989 had a related patch set uploaded (by Merlijn van Deen):
UnicodeDecodeError in pwb.py creating logfile

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/166989

Patch-For-Review

Aklapper triaged this task as Lowest priority.Jun 5 2015, 1:41 PM
Aklapper added a subscriber: Aklapper.

Pywikibot has two versions: Compat and Core. This task was filed about the older version, called Pywikibot-compat, which is not under active development anymore. Hence I'm lowering the priority of this task to reflect the reality. Unfortunately, the Pywikibot team does not have the manpower to retest every single bug report / feature request against the (maintained) Pywikibot code base. Furthermore, the code base of Pywikibot-Compat has changed a lot compared to the code base of Pywikibot-Core so there is a chance that the problem described in this task might not exist anymore. Please help: Unfortunately manpower is limited and does not allow testing every single reported task again. If you have time and interest in Pywikibot, please upgrade to Pywikibot-Core and add a comment to this task if the problem in this task still happens in Pywikibot-Core (or directly edit the task by removing the Pywikibot-compat project and adding the Pywikibot project to this task). To learn more about Pywikibot and to get involved in its development, please check out https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Pywikibot/Development Thank you for your understanding.

Change 166989 abandoned by John Vandenberg:
UnicodeDecodeError in pwb.py creating logfile

Reason:
compat; i raised the bug, so no real users are complaining about this.

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/166989

If anyone is experiencing this as a problem, and they cant migrate to core for some reason, I'll revive the patch.

jayvdb claimed this task.