There are two main objectives of this task, to make error pages better.
We need communication (copy) on error pages which sounds friendlier and sound like it's written by humans. It should be understandable by a normal user and should give clear idea about the error.
We need better means of telling the user about the current situation/updates about the error. Also the updates should be understandable by a non-technical person. IRC is not enough anymore. More discussion about this here.
The pages to be used both on mediawiki.org and projects. Should be general as the specific project name may be unknown due the the failure type.
Mediawiki example — http://www.mediawiki.org/skfjghsdjf
- Minimal text (10 variations - randomise copy if possible)
- Single HTML
- SVG only (simple) will be converted into dataURI
- CSS need to be inline
Things we can't do
- Linked images
- Linked css
- Other linked assets (wikifont)
- Auto-reload the page
Things to consider including
- @Wikimedia and @Wikipedia and @Wikimediatech on twitter
- Responsive design
- Links to http://status.wikimedia.org
- Action to make $5 fixed donation through PayPal
Error description spreadsheet
See also ongoing work at: