As a user, I want to play audio filesin Media Viewer, so I can get more info, better controls and related visuals.
We would like to play audio files in the Media Viewer, with a few basic features like:
- Volume control (mute option)
- Browsable time-line (with draggable progress indicator)
- Time indicator (current time/total time)**
- Waveform display(showing the file's sound wave)**
- Cover image (related still picture, like album cover - optional)
- Full screen (as for other media types)
- Settings (speed, quality, format)
- Subtitles / closed caption
- Script / Transcript (link to sub-page, if one exists)
See this design exploration PDF on how Media Viewer design concepts can support different media types.
For specific design recommendations, review slide 11 (see mockup below, and notes below that).
- This would be done using the Kaltura player 2.0, which can be skinned as needed.
- Right now, we aim to support these open formats:OGG, WAV, MIDI and X-FLAC.
- See separate cards for Video support (see #162 ), Kaltura player 2.0 integration (see #164 ) and TimedMedia Handler upgrade (see #165 ).
- We are setting up phone calls and in-person meetings with Kaltura in mid-February and early March to help us.
- We want to inherit as much of the basic video UI as appropriate, to save extra work.
- How do we deal with the fact there is no image for audio files? Show a waveform animation of the sound? Show an image, if specified? Show meta-data panel,captions or transcripts?
- In the first implementation, we will go for whichever solution seems more practical from a development and community maintenance perspective(e.g. meta-data panel or sound waveform), then incrementally improve the quality and optionsover time, in consultation with our community.
About Media Viewer
Read more on MediaWiki product page .
- #8 Media Viewer Front-End
- T77147 Play Video Files in Media Viewer
- T77149 Integrate Kaltura Player v2 in Media Viewer
- T77150 UpgradeTimedMedia Handler