Migrated from: https://wikimedia.mingle.thoughtworks.com/projects/multimedia/cards/167
As a user, I want to be able to zoom on large image files in Media Viewer, so I can see the details in a variety of sizes.
Note: This is a proposal for the full version of this feature, which requires a lot of development time. For a simpler linkversion that could be implemented sooner, check out T77423.
We would like to enable zooming in the Media Viewer, for large images (and/or extra wide or tall mediafiles), with features like:
- Zoom button (magnifying glass with plus sign) is present when the zoom level is 100%, and allows to increase the zoom level.
- At 100% zoom level, when the user hovers the zoom icon, an overview thumbnail (navigation pane) appears with the zoom controls.
- When the image is zoomed, the overview thumbnail becomes fixed (is visible and permanently shown regardless of the cursor position).
- The overview thumbnail indicates which area of the image is being shown, and allows the user to move the active area.
- the overview thumbnail allows the user to zoom-in ( + ), zoom-out ( - ) and reset the zoom level (an expand button that appears on a corner of the thumbnail when the user hovers it).
- When the image is zoomed, users are able to pan it. A grabbing cursor (or move cursor on those browsers not supporting the grab cursor) will be used over the image.
- Shortcuts for zoom will be provided to avoid clicking and repositioning: shift+scroll and "+" and "-" keys will increase/decrease the zoom level centering the zoom area to the current mouse position. In addition, regular scroll can be considered to trigger zoom if it happens over the zoom control or the thumbnail overview.
- You can select several levels of zoom, depending on the size of the original (2x, 3x, 5x, 10x?)
- By default, wide media files are scaled vertically to 2/3 (if resolution allows), and the zoom mode is auto-enabled.
- By default, tall media files are scaled horizontally to 2/3 (if resolution allows), and the zoom mode is auto-enabled.
See also community requests and related bugs below.More specifics will be addedlater in the Notes section below.
Note that this tool is a major development effort, which is likely to take weeks to build. Since we don't have the capacity to develop it in coming months, we are considering this much simpler interim proposal: #504 Basic Zoom.
Also note that Commons already has a nice here in Commons preferences .
A prototype is available to illustrate most of the aspects described above.
See preliminarymockups below, fromPau's original design exploration forextreme media sizes, which describes how the zoom mode could work, and howto adjust small, tall, and wide images. Note that the early prototypes were presenting the zoom icon disconnected from the navigation pane, just ignore that part.
Any possibility of a "magnifying glass" tool that allows you to see a portion of an image at full resolution? (Should be entirely feasible, I've built things like this, though it would take some tricky tuning to make it work acceptably in such an open-ended environment. Still, bandwidths are going up...) - talk 00:53, 10 January 2014
Zooming would be useful. There is no obvious interface for getting to a larger version or the original media file. (FocalPoint, Daniele Pugliesi, Michael Z.)
About Media Viewer
Read more on MediaWiki product page .