Page MenuHomePhabricator

ContentTranslation beta features auto-enrollment doesn't seem to work
Open, LowPublic

Description

I created an account on es.wiki - https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usuario:Amire80-beta-auto-enroll-test-2015-01-25-01 .

I went to the beta tab in preferences, checked "auto-enroll" and saved.

I saw VisualEditor and VisualEditor language tool immediately enabled. The rest of the beta features were not.

When I tried going to Special:ContentTranslation, it didn't work, because it can only work if the beta feature is enabled.

@MarkTraceur told me that if auto-enroll is enabled, the beta feature is supposed to be enabled as soon as it's checked, but this doesn't seem to happen.

I am not sure whether it's an issue in the BetaFeatures extension itself or in the way that ContentTranslation uses it.

You can find the relevant ContentTranslation code here:

Event Timeline

Amire80 created this task.Jan 25 2015, 4:34 PM
Amire80 raised the priority of this task from to Normal.
Amire80 updated the task description. (Show Details)
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptJan 25 2015, 4:34 PM

The preference text itself says "Automatically enable all new beta features". Sure the meaning is ambiguous, but if it actually means only new beta features it could explain why Spanish has ~400 users with cx feature explicitly set to zero: that could be because they only enabled auto-enroll checkbox.

But why are some beta features treated differently? Only difference on quick look I can found is that CX does not have $wgDefaultUserOptions['cx'] while VE does.

Arrbee raised the priority of this task from Normal to High.Feb 2 2015, 8:09 AM
Arrbee moved this task from Needs Triage to Long term on the ContentTranslation board.
Arrbee lowered the priority of this task from High to Normal.Feb 2 2015, 9:30 AM
Arrbee added a subscriber: Arrbee.
Arrbee moved this task from Long term to CX5 on the ContentTranslation board.Apr 20 2015, 6:06 AM

It still happens. VisualEditor is enabled immediately, even though I didn't ask for it, and it isn't a new feature. Other beta features are not enabled.

Amire80 set Security to None.

Added the VisualEditor project, because it looks like there's something in the VE code that forces the enabling more strongly than in other extensions ;)

Amire80 moved this task from CX5 to CX6 on the ContentTranslation board.Jul 2 2015, 4:32 PM
Amire80 moved this task from CX6 to CX7 on the ContentTranslation board.Oct 2 2015, 2:45 PM
Amire80 moved this task from CX7 to CX6 on the ContentTranslation board.
Amire80 moved this task from CX6 to Upstream on the ContentTranslation board.
Amire80 lowered the priority of this task from Normal to Low.Oct 14 2015, 9:10 AM