The Translate extension needs to be converted to use the new extension registration system. More details are available on T87875. From the duplicate task:
Most extensions have been converted to use extension.json by now. Translate, with it's lengthy setup file has eluded this conversion despite multiple attempts. I think the reasons for this are:
- Fully automatic conversion is not possible with Translate
- The patch is huge and difficult to review manually
- The patch gets stale because it doesn't get reviewed in time
And the cycle repeats. My proposal to stop this cycle is to do it in smaller steps:
- Add a minimal extension-wip.json with extension info, add an unconditional wfLoadExtension( 'Translate', __DIR__ . /extension-wip.json' ) to Translate.php.
- Move data to extension.json in smaller steps: e.g. one patch for resource loader modules, one patch for autoload and so on.
- extension.json name cannot be used before it is ready (Jenkins test fails)
- i18n things cannot be removed from Translate.php before extension.json is ready