Description for discussion at story grooming meeting. Ticket still needs design mockups.
Flow should support moving topics between Flow boards. This is currently possible on LQT, and we want to match that functionality.
The feature is similar to Hide topic, and will use some similar elements -- the dropdown menu, and the "undo" notice.
Move topic as part of the action menu
- User can select "Move topic" in the dropdown menu.
- The action is provided in the second group (after the separator line) where more "administrative" actions are provided.
Dialog for moving: destination and reason
- A modal window comes up, with two fields:
- Destination talk page
- Reason and two controls
- Cancel (link)
- Move topic (button)
- The user types the name of the desired destination talk page in the field.
- The field accepts namespaces (Talk: or User talk:)
- Error handling: If the desired destination doesn't exist or isn't a Flow board, an error message says: "Destination page is not a Flow board", and nothing happens.
- The user types a reason into the Reason field. This will be used as an edit summary for the move, and will be reflected in RC/history/contributions (and logging).
- The Move topic button is disabled until the user types something in both fields.
(See T88616 for a spike about Autocomplete in the destination field.)
- When the user provides the mandatory information, the button to move becomes active.
- When the user clicks Move topic but the chosen destination isn't a Flow board, there's an error message that says "Destination is not a Flow board: Topics can only be moved between Flow boards"
**Note: Pau added a "Learn more" link in the mockup, but I'm not sure where that links to. That's TBD, we'll talk about it. :)
Completing the process
- When the user clicks "Move topic", the topic currently in view is replaced by a gray box that says "This topic has been moved to [[Link]]. Undo"
- The confirmation and Undo box is similar to hidden and deleted topics. This is only seen by the user who moves the topic, and only for that pageview. Anyone else visiting the page will not see a note that the topic was moved.
- As with hiding and deleting, clicking "Undo" means that the topic immediately moves back to the original board, with no need to type a reason.
- The topic now appears on the new board, in the correct place according to New / Recently active sorting.
- On the topic page, the H1 and the breadcrumb reflect the new board title.
- Log entries:
- Recent changes: (diff | hist) . . Topic title on Talk:Oldboard; 17:17 . . (0) . . DannyH (WMF) (talk | contribs | block) moved the topic "Topic title" to Talk:Newboard (Reason)
- User contributions: 17:17, 3 February 2015 (diff | hist) . . (0) . . Topic title on Talk:Oldboard . . DannyH (WMF) (talk | contribs | block) moved the topic "Topic title" to Talk:Newboard (Reason)
- Board history pages (for both boards): cur prev topic 13:26, 2 February 2015 . . DannyH (WMF) (talk | contribs | block) moved the topic "Topic title" from Talk:Oldboard to Talk:Newboard (Reason) . . (0)
- Topic history page: cur prev topic 13:26, 2 February 2015 . . DannyH (WMF) (talk | contribs | block) moved the topic "Topic title" from Talk:Oldboard to Talk:Newboard (Reason) . . (0)
Note from the story grooming meeting about RC & log changes -- should this be a null edit on the topic title? Or should we rename the "moderation reason" field to include this?
- T88616: Spike: Autocomplete for moving topics between Flow boards (Translatewiki)
- T92907: Moving Flow Posts between Topics
- T95118: Allow changing the parent of a reply in a Flow topic (i.e. indent and/or outdent posts)
- T78253: Features for refactoring conversations (reassigning authors, splitting posts, moving/reindenting posts), etc.