Note: We'll want to have a test instance where we can show this to people from French, Catalan, etc to make sure it works, before it goes live on Mediawiki. (This could be either a branch or a feature flag, whatever's best.)
Description of new rules:
Each message in a Flow conversation will have one of the following:
- The last message in a thread has the Entry field, and not a Comment/Reply link.
- Posting a message using the Entry field adds the new message on the first level, with no indentation.
- The last message in a tangent has the Reply link.
- Posting a message using the Reply link adds the new message on that tangent level, with no extra indentation.
- All other messages have a Comment link.
- Posting a message using the Comment link adds the new message as a tangent, with 1+ level of indentation.
- If there's already a tangent directly under the message you're commenting on, then the new message is added to the bottom of that tangent's messages.
- Expand the number of indentation levels to 8. (The new model makes it less likely that threads will actually get to that max very often.)
- The no-JS version should follow the same rules.
There's a design ticket (T88865) for possible tweaks to the visual design, but we can implement the new model and then do visual changes after that.
For discussion in story grooming meeting:
Email from Pau --
I created a prototype to try the idea of a more clear indentation model for Flow discussions. The basic idea is to provide users a clear way to continue the conversation by default (no decision on which kind of reply to do to continue the conversation) while still allow to indent the conversation when responding to a specific former conversation.
An example workflow is illustrated below:
The instructions to try it are:
- Go to the test board and log-in or create an account
3.Go back to step 1 and participate in the conversation: Feel free to create a new topic.
Some considerations on the prototype:
The reply input box has been aligned with the comment above it. Labels for replying and their default indentation levels have been adjusted. It only works for the first two indentation levels. After publishing a refresh of the page is triggered so that
We can discuss more in upcoming meetings, and if it seems to work, we can discuss the idea widely with the community.
Feel free to provide any feedback, or ask any question.