Page MenuHomePhabricator

Extend the criteria to show the red interlanguage link to more users
Closed, ResolvedPublic1 Story Points

Description

Currently we are showing a red interlanguage link if the page is missing in your current UI language. This makes the access to Content Translation hard since it requires the user to have changed the UI language which does not happen often.

We can be much more flexible in the criteria by which we decide to show a red link. To do this we can incorporate some of the criteria used for guessing user languages in ULS:

  • Previous languages selected
  • Browser accept language (DONE)

Some notes:

  • We should not show more than one red interlanguage link at a given time.
  • We should only show the red interlanguage link when the corresponding article does not exist on the given language.
  • We probably don't want to use the geo-IP criteria since it may be too broad.

Event Timeline

Pginer-WMF raised the priority of this task from to High.
Pginer-WMF updated the task description. (Show Details)
Pginer-WMF added subscribers: Amire80, Arrbee, santhosh and 3 others.
Arrbee set Security to None.Feb 25 2015, 5:42 AM
Arrbee edited a custom field.
Arrbee lowered the priority of this task from High to Normal.Feb 25 2015, 3:18 PM
Arrbee moved this task from Backlog to Candidates on the LE-Sprint-83 board.
Arrbee moved this task from Candidates to Backlog on the LE-Sprint-83 board.Feb 25 2015, 3:39 PM
Arrbee assigned this task to Amire80.Feb 25 2015, 3:51 PM
Amire80 raised the priority of this task from Normal to High.Mar 2 2015, 7:36 PM
Amire80 moved this task from Backlog to In Progress on the LE-Sprint-83 board.
Amire80 moved this task from In Progress to In Review on the LE-Sprint-83 board.Mar 5 2015, 10:36 PM

Change 194718 had a related patch set uploaded (by Amire80):
Show red interlanguage link in browser language and accept-language

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/194718

I didn't notice the "not show more than one red interlanguage link" requirement, and I find it a bit odd. Why just one? I can see how having a dozen of red links may be too much, but it seems perfectly reasonable to me to have two, and even three or four.

The goal is to keep the kist meaningful and don't overpopulate the list, especially when the Compact Language List is not the default.
Ideally (and according to the initial designs), once you open the red ink panel, you'd get a "translate to Russian" button with a drop-down to select a different language (only from those where the article is missing). That would turn the red link in a general entry point for translation. However, that is not the current status.

Meanwhile, I'm ok in extending the limit to 2 or 3, but we may consider doing so when those are really relevant based on user actions (languages for which the user has already translated, clicked previously in other articles, or even set the browser accept languages for) not only our Geo-IP guesses.

I don't think that we can get a huge list of languages just from brower UI and accept-language. That would be three or four for pretty much all people (except the very few who do funky stuff with the Accept-Language). It will be different when we get to geoip, but not yet.

We can easily log the languages that are actually shown using EventLogging to see the actual average maximum numbers.

Change 194718 merged by jenkins-bot:
Show red interlanguage link in browser language and accept-language

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/194718

Now we need tooling to measure how people using this.

Amire80 closed this task as Resolved.Mar 6 2015, 9:20 AM
Amire80 moved this task from In Review to Done on the LE-Sprint-83 board.
Amire80 reopened this task as Open.Mar 10 2015, 8:48 AM

Reopening - I missed the "previous languages" criterion somehow. Now that I do see it, I actually prefer to do it a week after the deployment of the current browser UI and Accept-Language criteria to hear the users' feedback about the current red links. It's just a one-line change once we decide to do it.

Pginer-WMF updated the task description. (Show Details)Mar 10 2015, 8:50 AM
Pginer-WMF added a project: LE-Sprint-84.
Pginer-WMF removed a project: LE-Sprint-83.
santhosh moved this task from Backlog to In Progress on the LE-Sprint-84 board.Mar 11 2015, 7:26 AM

Once T90529: Measure the effectiveness of editor invitations -is done, we need to integrate that tooling to this entry point. This task can be closed only after or that(or create a new task for eventlogging integration)

Change 197489 had a related patch set uploaded (by Santhosh):
Add eventlogging to measure entry point effectiveness

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/197489

Change 197512 had a related patch set uploaded (by Santhosh):
Eventlogging for various actions on translation

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/197512

Change 197489 merged by jenkins-bot:
Add eventlogging to measure entry point effectiveness

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/197489

Change 197902 had a related patch set uploaded (by Amire80):
Add previous languages to red interlanguage links list

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/197902

Change 197512 merged by jenkins-bot:
EventLogging for various actions on translation

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/197512

Change 197902 merged by jenkins-bot:
Add previous languages to red interlanguage links list

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/197902

Pginer-WMF closed this task as Resolved.Apr 1 2015, 8:20 AM
Pginer-WMF moved this task from In Progress to Done on the LE-Sprint-84 board.