Page MenuHomePhabricator

Investigation: Label no longer fallback to foreign language out of fallback chain in Special:Contributions and Special:RecentChanges
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

Formerly in these pages, there're labels when showing every items as long as those items have at least one label (in any languages). Now if items have no labels in fallback chain only Qid is shown. Qid indicates nothing.

Example: https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/RobotMichiel1972

Event Timeline

Bugreporter raised the priority of this task from to Needs Triage.
Bugreporter updated the task description. (Show Details)
Bugreporter added a subscriber: Bugreporter.

This regression is caused by the fact that we consolidated the way language fallbacks work in different places. We now use the same (narrower) fallback mechanism everywhere. We are aware that this is not sufficient in some places, but there is no decision yet on how to best approach this, see T89213. As far as I remember, the old fallback to "any" language only worked if there was only exactly one label, not if there were more - which is broken and confusing. That's why we stopped doing that.

When I'm logged in and look at https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/RobotMichiel1972 and switch to a language where "Nishoek" (Q19356829) has no label I till can see dutch labels (see attached screenshot). So to me it seems as the language fallback mechanism is still working as it did before. Cannot confirm this bug. However, if I'm logged out, I don't see labels but then I also don't see labels when I switch to dutch (even though it has a label in that language).

Clipboard01.jpg (887×1 px, 254 KB)

Tobi_WMDE_SW renamed this task from Label no longer fallback to foreign language out of fallback chain in Special:Contributions and Special:RecentChanges to Investigation: Label no longer fallback to foreign language out of fallback chain in Special:Contributions and Special:RecentChanges.Apr 7 2015, 1:29 PM
Tobi_WMDE_SW set Security to None.
aude moved this task from Backlog to Done on the Wikidata-Sprint-2015-04-07 board.