There are a number of authentication related projects that have been requested by various teams and users to improve the process of logging into MediaWiki wikis both by direct user interaction (form auth) and from external interfaces (OAuth, API).
These various projects taken individually are difficult to promote as a major focus, cross team project, but when bundled together provide a more compelling story about a focus on improving the authentication experience for a wide variety users and removing roadblocks for other projects.
- T86869: Support a nice sso experience with MediaWiki's OAuth
- T88083: Mobile apps users should not be shown captchas when creating accounts
- T30085: RFC: Allow user login with email address in addition to username
- T74469: OAuth: Authorisation should not fail because you don't have an account on central wiki
- (task needed) Update look, feel and functionality of Special:UserLogin