Key ideas here:
- Provide a unified mechanism for,
- Changes to protected articles
- Newbie or other high-risk changes
- Interwiki synchronization
- Conflict resolution
- Protect editor sanity by hiding the complexity of branching.
- We should treat edits as deltas rather than a full copy of the text. This can be done conceptually, without changing the schema. "Rebasing" should be easy. Review and merge can be a its own workflow.
- Support multiple descendants of a single revision, when we can't automatically merge. Probably avoid any actual branching beyond that single revision.
I also want to present a non-technical version of these ideas during Wikimania, to get editor feedback...