We need to recruit mentors for Google Code-in 2014. Two key questions:
Who to invite explicitly?
- GCi mentors 2013
- GSoC 2014 and FOSS OPW round 8 mentors and students
- Possible mentors
- Wikimedia Foundation and WMDE teams
- ToolLabs? WLM Tools?
What to ask from them?
Based on last year's experience, probably it is better to start with a very simple and specific request. The repeaters know the drill, the newbies will see how things work pretty fast. We will answer to questions, but we don't need to enter into much details beforehand. Last year's numbers should be quite explanatory.
Requirements to become a Wikimedia GCi mentor: (proposal)
- Provide 5 easy Bugzilla reports or Phabricator tasks
- OR provide 1 easy clonable task (a type of task that can be repeated many times)
- The tasks must include instructions or point to documentation
- You commit to answer to students' questions and to evaluate their tasks within 36 hours
- All the better if you provide new tasks as the old ones are being fixed.
- You can become a candidate to attend the GCi Summit in Google headquarters -- travel and accommodation fully covered.