This is the Developer-Advocacy quarterly review for January-March 2015
|Objective||Impact on goal||Dependency||ETA||Status|
|MediaWiki Developer Summit||T76506: Coordinate 2015 MediaWiki Developer Summit||Engineering & Product Management: main themes, budget, contract approvals.||2015-01||A success, according to the participants' survey and our lessons learned.|
|Data & developer hub||T308: A single Developer Hub plan agreed and documented||Design: agree on plan for Blueprint skin. MediaWiki Core: agree on plan for API sandboxes. Various stakeholders: agree on plan versus doc.wikimedia.org.||2015-03||We focused on prototyping first. We have a broad plan that needs to be written down and checked with the stakeholders.|
|Phabricator migration||T94265: Goal: Consolidate Phabricator as project management tool||Release Engineering: fixing bugs in our local extensions. Operations: deploying updates.||2015-03||Good progress overall. Some teams still using Trello. Scarcity of maintenance resources.|
|Engage with established technical communities||T96013: Identify Wikimedia's top technical partners||None||2015-06||Not started.|
After organizing the MediaWiki Developer Summit successfully, @Rfarrand compiled our lessons learned with recommendations for the next edition that are being integrated in ECT's future event plans and the 2015-16 budget ask (i.e. 3 days event instead of 2).
@Spage joined our team in January and broke the vicious circle of theoretical discussions around the Data & Developer Hub by putting together a prototype with real content. This is forcing stakeholders and open tasks to be more specific and less opinionated.
S Page volunteered a Trello - Phabricator migration script, and he has driven the migrations of the Collaboration and former Growth teams, extending an offer to the remaining teams using Trello.
@Rfarrand and @Qgil struggled getting clear objectives and main themes with Engineering and Product management, and we were late when announcing the basic plan to our developers. Correction: ECT to own budget and organization of the Summit and hackathons, starting public planning sooner.
@Spage has been contacting the right people in Core, Design, and other areas in order to obtain quick tactical progress with the Data and Developer Hub. However, the lack of a written plan and formally agreed dependencies keeps the resourcing of this important project out of the official plans of these teams. Correction: agree the plan with these teams, including committed resourcing.
@Qgil had proposed 20% Phabricator maintenance time for @chasemp (Ops) and @mmodell (RelEng), but didn't follow up for confirmation. While Chase agreed this time with his team, Mukunda has been totally invested in RelEng work. Correction: transfer Phabricator ownership to Greg Grossmeier (RelEng).
Other remarkable results
- T821: Trello -> Phabricator migration script
- T1247: Migration of Growth team Trello boards to Phabricator
- T921: Apply to GSoC 2015 and FOSS OPW round 10
- T84972: Goal: Best Wikimedia participation in FOSDEM, driven by EU chapters
- T802: Phabricator projects for Wikimedia sister projects
- T75703: Decide what to do with tracking bugs
- T88520: Goals and measures of success of the Wikimedia Hackathon 2015
- T88524: Open registration to the Wikimedia Hackathon 2015
- T86639: Migrate Gerrit project ownership request system (+2 rights) to Phabricator
- T89392: Plan to bring newcomers to our hackathons and integrate them
- T89084: Main themes of the Wikimedia Hackathon 2015
- T89493: Engineering Book Event March 25
- T90655: Tech Talk: Hack: An Evolution of PHP
- T92945: Reflect in dev.wikimedia.org what Wikimedia offers to developers
- T655: Implement the Volunteer NDA process in Phabricator