h1 Tag causes saved page to have missing data (section editing)
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

Author: bjkcubed

Description:
It seems using the h1 tag in a wiki page causes issues with editing sections. These results are not seen with 1.6.8 but are seen with
1.7 and 1.8.

Start out with:

Heading 1

<pre>
<h1>test</h1>
</pre>

Heading 2

If you click on Heading 2 to edit that section and then save that page you will get the result below.

Heading 1

<pre>

Heading 2

asdf

In the example above I added the asdf when editing the second section, as you see data is lost. Editing section 1 creates even more
strange results. Starting with the first example and editing section 1 I get the following output.

Heading 1

asdf
<pre>
<h1>test</h1>
</pre>

<h1>test</h1>
</pre>

Heading 2


Version: 1.10.x
Severity: normal
OS: Linux
Platform: Other

bzimport added a project: MediaWiki-Page-editing.Via ConduitNov 21 2014, 9:28 PM
bzimport added a subscriber: wikibugs-l.
bzimport set Reference to bz7713.
bzimport created this task.Via LegacyOct 25 2006, 10:46 PM
bzimport added a comment.Via ConduitOct 25 2006, 10:48 PM

bjkcubed wrote:

More server information...

MediaWiki: 1.8.2
PHP: 5.1.6 (apache2handler)
MySQL: 5.0.24a-standard

bzimport added a comment.Via ConduitJan 19 2007, 10:30 PM

bjkcubed wrote:

Bug still remains in version 1.9

MediaWiki: 1.9.0
PHP: 5.1.6 (apache2handler)
MySQL: 5.0.24a-standard-log

bzimport added a comment.Via ConduitFeb 22 2007, 5:47 PM

alan.harder wrote:

I also hit this problem (in version 1.9.2 and 1.9.3) but with h2 tags inside a pre.

It seems that code generating the section [edit] links properly skips over the
h2-inside-pre since it is rendered with the < and > encoded as html entities.
However, the code saving the changes probably sees the raw text and counts this
as a section boundary, thus saving and overwriting the wrong section!

brion added a comment.Via ConduitFeb 23 2007, 6:39 AM

Can confirm with 1.9, but seems fine on 1.10 w/ current trunk.

bzimport added a comment.Via ConduitMay 2 2007, 4:31 PM

hempel wrote:

This is still an open issue with 1.10. All you need is a page with multiple
sections, some of which contain <pre> areas. Then go to a section right after
one with a <pre> tag in it, edit it, and add a new section, thus splitting the
section in half. When you save it is almost always corrupted. Just tried this
with 1.10RC1.

bzimport added a comment.Via ConduitMay 2 2007, 4:32 PM

hempel wrote:

This is still an open issue with 1.10. All you need is a page with multiple
sections, some of which contain <pre> areas. Then go to a section right after
one with a <pre> tag in it, edit it, and add a new section, thus splitting the
section in half. When you save it is almost always corrupted. Just tried this
with 1.10RC1.

bzimport added a comment.Via ConduitMay 4 2007, 8:43 PM

bjkcubed wrote:

Just to confirm that the original example still has the same result on 1.10.0rc1.

bzimport added a comment.Via ConduitMay 7 2007, 12:33 PM

lcarsdata wrote:

I have tested with MediaWiki 1.5 through to trunk and can verify that it happens
in all versions of MediaWiki higher than or equal to 1.7 (including trunk) - see
http://www.wikitest.co.uk/1_6/Header_test,
http://www.wikitest.co.uk/1_7/Header_test and
http://www.wikitest.co.uk/SVN/Header_test

Add Comment

Column Prototype
This is a very early prototype of a persistent column. It is not expected to work yet, and leaving it open will activate other new features which will break things. Press "\" (backslash) on your keyboard to close it now.