Find detailed blog post here.
Work done (environment setup, links to patches merged etc.)
- Requested for set up of labs project for newsletter extension. Project created and successfully ssh-ed to bastion.wmflabs.org.
- Set up web proxy for the newsletter-test instance
- After a number of rounds of discussions, a proposal for a minimum viable product with necessary features was put forth.
- Created tasks for features in MVP and organised them on the MediaWiki-extensions-Newsletter Workboard
- Decided on first feature to work on : Create Newsletter
- When the project gets more exposure, more developers drop in to suggest ideas. And these ideas make a huge difference to the intended plan making it simpler and elegant.
- Plan before you code.
Problems faced and solutions found
Initial weeks were uncoordinated due to exams, time zones, absence of a plan. With the second IRC meeting, many decisions were taken including the initial proposal of MVP and Agenda for meeting at Lyon Hackathon. All panned out after the Lyon Hackathon where the MVP was finalised and implementation of first feature decided.
Any changes to the original plan
- New feature added : Announce a newsletter
- Special:NewsletterPublishers page introduced with simpler and minimum fields. For more details: T100125
Minimum Viable Product for the project decided
( pasting from T99784 )
The features listed are the ones aimed to be completed before midterm hopefully.
- Create a newsletter - T100125
- Announce a new issue of an existing newsletter
- Subscribing and unsubscribing to/from a newsletter
- Receiving a notification for new issues of a subscribed newsletter - Echo notifications
Communication plan with mentor decided
IRC( #wikimedia-ect ) is the main mode of communication with mentors. Logs of IRC meetings so far: