Well, wmincubator.org, but fine.
Wed, Nov 13
Tue, Nov 5
That's pretty much it, @jhsoby. I don't promise that when we see an alpha version of this, some further refinements won't come to us. But this is a good place to start. (Calling also @Ooswesthoesbes .)
Oct 10 2019
@jhsoby, is this finished yet? I'm just looking to see if (a) I should clear the task identifier from the "closed" section of Meta:Requests for new languages, and (b) I should mark the importation on Incubator's Site creation log as complete or still in progress.
Sep 25 2019
I'm going to take ownership for the moment, and set the status to "stalled". We're looking into just a little further steward cleanup here on possible copyvios. When that is finished, I will create a subtask for the redirect.
Sep 24 2019
Just a note that once the wiki is fully locked ("Closed"), there are a few items to discuss before we go to the effective deletion (by redirection).
Sep 23 2019
@Urbanecm: cleanup is finished. Wiki can be fully locked.
@MF-Warburg, can you please go over to SRP and confirm the desysopping. Thanks.
Contacted Martin at IRC. Wiki will be closed except for sysop. Placed request to desysop Grigor at SRP. I am holding off on the sitenotice and on posting the close at Meta until the desysop is complete.
@Urbanecm , "'closed' using a filter" is only intended very briefly, and if you prefer doing this a different way we can manage it.
Board allows LangCom decision to stand. See https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/langcom/2019-September/002426.html. First thing that needs to happen, pretty much as soon as possible, is for access to this wiki to be limited. Please see my question up top as to how to best to execute the first step. We'll go on from there.
Sep 19 2019
I thought he might be in training to join ... ;)
Placed on hold, as noted above. If the decision goes final, I will change the status back to "open". If the Board decides to close but not delete, I will change the status back to "open" and move this to the other task board. If the Board disagrees with closure entirely, I will change status to "invalid".
Sep 18 2019
OK. Thanks, MF-W. As far as I can tell, the Wiki wasn't even created with the customary warning page up front. But I'll let others sort that out.
It's good that the problem is getting a lot of attention, even if things aren't quite fixed yet. Thank you. There's one more project creation currently in Phabricator that you can try to work with: T230359. Additionally, there are four more currently under language verification. I'm under a fair amount of pressure from the emerging language community to start moving others along and I intend to do that. (It will still be at least a couple of weeks before anything more than the five described above could be in the queue.)
Sep 3 2019
Aug 23 2019
Jul 24 2019
No, but we do have one that has been waiting just about ten months, and a couple of others eight months. And that doesn't count things I've held out of the approval queue because there was no point. With all due respect to all of you—and especially volunteers—if it takes up to three months under ordinary circumstances, I get it. If it takes up to six months under extraordinary circumstances, I get it. But this is getting very, very difficult. @Reedy, we are now officially past "[not] in a timely fashion".
Jul 22 2019
Pages have already been moved in Incubator.
Jul 17 2019
Repeating question of @Urbanecm. This is starting to cause a lot of frustration among people working on test projects, as even the active and successful ones can't move forward. This is a real black eye on the whole movement, and needs high-priority attention (IMO).
Jun 6 2019
Responded at T210752.
Thanks for the update, @Urbanecm. Because Western Armenian Wikipedia was created, I thought that had been resolved.
Is there a proposed timeline on this and T210752? Is there information I need to get from the contributor communities to help move this along?
Is there a proposed timeline on this and T218155? Is there information I need to get from the contributor communities to help move this along?
Mar 13 2019
Mar 12 2019
Feb 22 2019
Look, it's going to take some time for this code change to filter down to everywhere it needs to go. So @Liuxinyu970226, if you can push IANA forward, that would be great.
Feb 20 2019
I wish someone had pinged me. A lot of people have been wondering what has taken so long for this project (and Neapolitan Wikisource, T210752 , as far as it goes). I'll let the communities know.
Dec 24 2018
Dec 11 2018
Nov 29 2018
I'm not a member of Wikitech, and personally do not have a strong need to be one, as I'm not doing the tech-side work. With all due respect, going forward, I intend to do only what I have done here: I will open the initial phabricator task, tagged with Wiki-Setup (Create). There are plenty of people who follow that board who know what to do next. So I feel confident things will be taken care from there.
Nov 22 2018
I'd support this request. @Ebe123 is a responsible and important leader in our community.
Nov 11 2018
Nov 9 2018
- @Liuxinyu970226: Let's do this one first, please. Will you put in the ticket?
- The more experience I have on Incubator, the less I'm so sure I want sitelinks (other than in the Incubator: and Help: namespaces). There are some tests that are pretty well developed and pretty well maintained, and sitelinks to them would be fine. But there are also plenty of tests on Incubator where the content is really trivial, and I'm not sure sitelinks to them are so useful. Maybe better to wait until some version of @Amire80's project (T165585) is done and then link selectively to well-maintained incubation subdomains only.
Oct 11 2018
Sep 28 2018
@Hello903hello : Can you comment on the namespace question?
Sep 26 2018
So this is just a little funky. Usually for Wikimedia affiliate wikis (as opposed to Wikimedia projects) the subdomain code is the country code. Yet "Punjabi" doesn't have a country code, of course.
Aug 27 2018
Liuxinyu posted it, not me. But Wolverène posted it at the end of the discussion in Incubator (before my closing section).
Aug 24 2018
We're interested in a similar approach for Incubator.
Aug 20 2018
@Amire80, I'd venture that for now, since closing Incubator is not part of the proposal, we also don't need to discuss (yet) what to do with the less active Incubator projects.
In my personal view, there is clear consensus to begin the work to make this happen. Still, while the Incubator community agrees in principle that moving all active test projects into a space like the one we're proposing is a good idea, there is still enough concern about not creating a "Wild West" of new subdomains that we should be focusing on (1) putting the infrastructure in place and (2) deciding on which projects should be moved to test this infrastructure. For the moment, we're still putting new projects in Incubator.
Also, to clarify a couple of other things:
- At the moment, I don't think we're discussing closing Beta Wikiversity (even in the longer run) and having all new Wikiversity tests start in one of these spaces. Tests nearing approval could be eligible, though. (At the moment, the only one remotely active enough is hewikiversity.)
- I think a well-developed Wikisource looking to move to a subdomain can also be eligible. But the default for new Wikisources is going to remain Mulitilingual (Old) Wikisource, for a variety of very good reasons.
Aug 9 2018
Aug 8 2018
Let's wait then. If the request doesn't make it in, we'll talk about it at that point.
Organization I couldn't think of before was Unicode CLDR.
I know. The issue here is that many people are claiming that "Nataoran Amis" is not really a different language from Amis (ami), and that Sakizaya is a completely different language. At the same time, SIL considers Sakizaya to be a dialect of Nataoran (and therefore within the boundaries of "ais").
@Liuxinyu970226: Are you saying the code is not in the language table at all? I guess I misunderstood that. If it looks like this is not going to be resolved in the January 2019 code release—and I see no reason we can't hold off a couple of more months—then I'm ok with adding the label as "Nataoran/Sakizaya" in the meantime. (For the record, I'm not OK using just "Sakizaya" until and unless SIL goes there.)
Aug 7 2018
I am happy to ask LangCom for advice. But to be perfectly honest, I'd like to put this one on hold until January. The whole question of whether "Nataoran Amis" exists independently of Amis in general seems to be a little controversial, and I'm told that there are going to be change requests to SIL in the upcoming round to reassign that language code to Sakizaya (or else to give Sakizaya a new code). So to be perfectly candid I'd like to see what happens in the January 2019 release from SIL first.
Aug 5 2018
I have a suggestion related to Incubator: stop limiting the language codes to 3 characters. That way, IETF language code support would be vastly improved.
Jul 30 2018
Going back to @Urbanecm 's comments above:
Jul 25 2018
The community has decided that it wishes to keep the Translator group. See local discussion. Accordingly, I am going to close this task.
No, test wiki administrators cannot generally edit in MediaWiki namespace. If you would have checked the page histories of the pages cited by @Bugreporter above, you would know that in all of the above cases except the Rachitrali case, one of two things is true:
In principle, I’m interested. I need to understand how it’s going to work.
Jul 20 2018
Discussion remains open on Incubator until 23 July. However, early indications are that the proposal will not succeed.
Jul 17 2018
Jul 16 2018
Nope. Don't agree. First: No consensus was sought on-wiki. Second: Once tech-admin happens, the only thing "translators" will be able to do is to translate certain messages and communications in the MediaWiki space. Most of the ones relevant to projects once they're exported are now in translatewiki.net, but we have a handful that we have to deal with locally. (A number of the fields that populate the template "Test wiki" come to mind.) If someone is otherwise trustworthy and is willing to tackle some of those, I'm happy to have a way to let him/her do so. And if anything, granting such a right will be less dangerous going forward. I have no trouble with the group mostly remaining empty most of the time; I'm more interested in keeping this option open.
Jul 15 2018
Jul 14 2018
Jul 13 2018
Jun 28 2018
@Urbanecm, I'll ask the test administrators to respond.
Jun 4 2018
This project now approved, so I'm moving the status back to open.
We'll make one change to the initial settings above:
May 23 2018
My google-translated page didn't (obviously) show that there was community consensus on this. But I don't speak Chinese, and @Liuxinyu970226 does. So I can't really argue. What I can't tell is how serious the variants are.
May 3 2018
Thank you very much.
Thank you for your response, @ssastry. No, I understand that an update will happen then. I just want to give us the maximum time possible before then to clean up.
May 2 2018
I'm not sure if incubatorwiki was switched yet. But Xaosflux and his bot are going to start working on the wiki this weekend. As of the moment, we have over 3,000 high-priority and over 10,000 medium-priority errors on incubatorwiki, and because of the nature of the wiki and its test communities, it has not been so easy to get all the errors corrected. So I'm inclined to ask, if this is still possible, for incubatorwiki to be in the absolute final set of wikis to be converted, so we have time to address this. Thank you.
Apr 25 2018
Jan 28 2018
Leave it closed. There has been more activity lately, but much still by anonymous contributors. We don't have regular activity by at least three registered users per month. And it's not the place of @Assoc to open a task of this type.
Jan 7 2018
Dec 29 2017
@Baloch007, you know that's up to Language Committee. Decision is not going to be made here.
Dec 26 2017
I was apparently premature in marking this approved. I'm going to stall this for now, and we'll see how it resolves. My apologies.
Dec 24 2017
Is the SVG logo what is stalling this?
Dec 22 2017
That was well-said, @Billinghurst . Thank you.
Dec 19 2017
@Samwilson, @ChristianKl and @MF-Warburg : If you are a "pure Wikidata"-type person, this comment probably made sense. The comment made no sense whatsoever in the broader context of the history of project creation and approvals across the WMF project universe. There are reasons that we don't just create those sites, even if that should happen to be inconvenient for Wikidata.
For LangCom: Approved.
Dec 15 2017
My suggestion is that we should implement a configuration setting that can be called "$wgWikibaseAllowMultipleSitelinksInOneSite", set false as default, only set to true for those three links.
Dec 14 2017
Thanks for that.
As LangCom clerk, I think before this goes much further I should step in and make a couple of things clear.
Dec 6 2017
BTW, @MarcoAurelio, I didn't mean to come off as combative (and don't think my comment actually was, to a native speaker at least). But I apologize if I came off that way.