Thu, May 25
Hi @Anomie and @thiemowmde,
I closed the other ticket to make it visible which is the one we are actually working on (and since it is still reachable I thought this does not make us lose the discussion either). However, if you feel like it should be opened again, or want to link it more visible in this ticket, feel free to do so - I just thought that most of the input from the ticket has been added here. One of the only differences (well spotted ;) ) is the hierarchical inheritance of the group parameter. The reason for this is that according to @Jdforrester-WMF the fact that you currently CAN define references with the same name in different groups is based on an error, which is expected to be fixed. The check whether references have the same name currently happens too late, i.e. after they are split into groups. Therefore, we would throw an error if something is extended and cannot clearly be identified. And after another discussion at Wikimedia-Hackathon-2017 with @Jdforrester-WMF and @daniel we are not pursuing the refine-data property idea, but the solution explained above.
Sun, May 21
This task was the basis for an updated solution, which can be found in T151301: Implement "extends"-attribute for ref-tag
Sat, May 20
If we realize this, we would also need to change click behavior for mobile frontends: If tooltip is not shown, show tooltip on click. If it is visible already, move the pointer.
Fri, May 19
@Jan_Dittrich Could you add your notes on keyboard focus here as well?
Thu, May 18
Wed, May 17
@Rfarrand, sounds good! Let's do this :)
Tue, May 16
Thanks for creating the ticket! We will definitely look into how to make this compatible this week.
I'm sorry to hear that you are unhappy with our decision. This is why we are confident to deploy the RevisionSlider to all wikis:
- Before enabling the RevisionSlider as a beta feature, we sent out out a mass message to all wikis, which was translated to ~30 languages, in order to reach as many people as possible in their native language.
- Today, we will send out another mass message to let all wikis know about the change, so they can reach out to us, if they want to have it disabled
- We did announce the deploy in the last issue of TechNews (you are referencing the last UI change, this indeed was no message to announce the deploy)
- Although we solved a wish from the German speaking community wishlist, this feature originates from the All Our Ideas survey of the Community Tech team, so it is not just from the German speaking community
- We had community consensus requests by the arabic, hebrew and polish community to get this as a beta feature and/or released, acted on all critical feedback we got, but even more we had feedback like "it works great in farsi!", "thank you for thinking about languages that write right to left!", "please update the RevisionSlider on LTS version of mediawiki REL 1.27". The extension page itself received ~1700 page views
- The revisionSlider was used widely during beta feature phase, and the number of disables was small, while the usage number increased steadily