Sat, May 8
Sun, May 2
I've been doing it for quite long but it still hasn't ended yet, but I think I'll just post a comment here:
- Lots of repeated matches, which is the same article and the same images. Out of 10 matches recommended, there is probably 1 repeated match (yes, it's that high). And of course it's not because I click unsure. I definitely click good/bad, but it still shows up again.
- Sometimes the date articles still show up. I didn't take screenshots of those though.
- The matches with highest correct rate is fauna and flora articles, I think because their scientific name is unique and so the algorithm can match them easily. Next is location article, also because of the locations name. Other than that, I don't think the rate is too high.
Thu, Apr 22
I just finished the evaluation round 2, and the result is: 131/180 (~72.7%).
Sun, Apr 18
So after taking a look at the configuration page, I think some places are quite unclear:
- "Post questions on top of help panel?": This should be "help desk", right?
- "View more link displayed in help desk": And this should be "help panel"?
- "Search the following namespaces": this is not clear enough, it should be something like "search the help pages in the following namespaces"
- "Page title of list of manually assigned mentors": This one is currently blank in my language but I'm not sure what it means by "manually".
Sat, Apr 17
Hi, in Viwiki:
- 36 mentors (in the last mentor audit on Oct 2020 there were only 12), this is due to a member sending mass-messages inviting all the experienced editors to become a mentor. This is good news, since we just moved all the questions from the help desk to the mentors' talk page, this means all the questions will not flood into a small numbers of mentors and make them uncomfortable.
- There is two mentor left and one is crossed out (due to being temporarily banned), I'm asking this person if he wants to be a mentor again now that his ban is already lifted.
Mar 31 2021
Done. Correct recommendation is only 71/142 which is exactly at 50%.
Feb 22 2021
Feb 17 2021
Hi, Vietnamese Wikipedia just had a situation where a mentor (also an admin and bureaucrat) was voted to have the adminship removed because he created thousands of articles badly translated using the Content Translation tool. After that, he's also banned for 43 days.
Feb 4 2021
I've relayed the message here and pinged all the mentors.
Jan 17 2021
Suggestions from Vietnamese Wikipedia's mentors:
Dec 26 2020
Community discussion for Vietnamese wiki: https://vi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Th%E1%BA%A3o_lu%E1%BA%ADn#L%E1%BA%A5y_%C3%BD_ki%E1%BA%BFn_c%E1%BB%99ng_%C4%91%E1%BB%93ng_v%E1%BB%81_c%C3%B4ng_c%E1%BB%A5_m%E1%BB%9Bi
Nov 27 2020
Hi, regarding the Mediawiki page of the Growth Team, I have a few ideas:
Nov 6 2020
Notes for text-based:
- The rate of accuracy is much lower in text-based than in link-based.
- Species articles appear everywhere: to the extend that "politics and government" is 1/10 because the other 9 are species articles.
- We still have disambiguation pages, I score them all 0.
Nov 1 2020
So sorry I'm this late.
Here are some comments for the link-based:
- Some flora/fauna are listed in the geography topics, perhaps because in other languages they are said to be endemic to that place, but you cannot deduce it from the articles in Vietnamese, so 0 point.
- STEM topic is all flora/fauna. Still okay I guess, but if I'm an user I would expect other kinds of articles and more diversity.
- Disambiguation pages still show up.
Oct 18 2020
Hi, so in viwiki:
Sep 22 2020
This time it's easier and at the same time harder to evaluate. Below are some notable aspects I noticed:
Sep 4 2020
@MMiller_WMF -- it's fixed now, thanks!
Sep 2 2020
@Aklapper Hi, sorry for using WMF account on this personal matter. I'm Bluetpp. Here are the two diffs that I got pinged but wasn't notified:
Aug 24 2020
Some general comments after finishing the evaluation:
Most of the suggestions are on animals/flowers, astronomical bodies, biographies and geographical locations in my case:
- Animals/flowers: Mostly wrong suggestions as it suggests image of species in the same genus or family but they are different species.
- Astronomical bodies: This is hard to evaluate since my knowledge about this subject is narrow, but in my impression none in this group is a "2".
- Biographies: Has a high rate of correct suggestion, perhaps because you can just match the name of the article with file's name
- Geographical locations: has the highest rate of correct suggestion, same reason with biographies maybe.
Jun 23 2020
@RHo hi, as I just checked the bug is still here. I try it in 2 browsers:
- Google Chrome: latest, Version 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-bit)
- Cốc cốc - it's a local browser in Vietnam: lastest, Version 86.0.172 (Official Build) (32 bit)
May 15 2020
Viwiki, discussion thread posted
May 1 2020
Here's the link to the video: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Suggested_edits_module.webm
Please add subtitles to it, thank you!
Apr 18 2020
Viwiki, no mentor removed. One mentor didn't actively respond to newcomer's questions, but I want to give him more time. I'll consider removing him next month if no response was shown.
Apr 4 2020
How many questions come from the help panel to your help desk per day/week?
Yesterday viwiki had 3 questions, and this week we had 12 questions from the help panel. While this whole week we only had 1 question not from the help panel.
In March 2020 we had 42 questions.
Feb 29 2020
Feb 28 2020
I'm done on my part.
Feb 22 2020
@Halfak Also in "Culture.Linguistics" which is supposed to be "About languages, grammar, dialects", there are many results of disambiguations of names. I don't think I'd want disambiguations of names if I selected Linguistics, or any disambiguations at all. What do you think?
Feb 19 2020
Okay here are my comments about the algorithm:
- As @Dyolf77_WMF has mentioned, the suggestion is made not for the first word to appear. But I still marked it done with acceptable word.
- Many important and specific words are not linked, but the algorithm instead chooses to link very general words that have no reason to be linked.
- Break words when linking, sometimes they leaves out the words that exist in the article name too ("bệnh ung thư vú", but link only "bệnh ung thư" while we have the article "bệnh ung thư vú"), sometimes it combines and links word in a wrong way ("thỏa mãn tính tò mò" (satisfy (thỏa mãn) the curiousity (tính tò mò), the algorithm combine "mãn" and "tính" (yeah, "mãn tính" has a meaning too) and link it, even though each of the words belong to other words).
- Link to the wrong article: the phrase and the article are about two entirely difference matters.
Feb 17 2020
Feb 15 2020
Vietnamese is finished.
Feb 1 2020
@MMiller_WMF It's okay now, please help me move them. Sorry for being this late...
Jan 20 2020
After sending out mass-messages asking experienced editors to become new mentors as @Trizek-WMF and I have agreed to do, we have 2 more editors registering to be mentors. So now Vietnamese community have a total of 7 active mentors.
Jan 19 2020
Jan 18 2020
- Both desktop and mobile version are still missing some translations. Also I have some translations I want to change, can I?
- The result articles are off-topic by half. I'm working on my seed article list again, please wait...
- I have just realized that some times along the way the Vietnamese seed article list have become incorrect: In the Json list, the Science tab has now been labeled "Địa lý" (Geography) with Geography's seed articles. So now (1) there's no science label and science seed articles; (2) there's no geography tab.
Jan 14 2020
Picked art again and here are the result:
- Tượng sống: Living statue, good
- Nghệ thuật Hy Lạp cổ: Ancient Greek art, good
- Bố cục tạo hình: err, don't know the English word but it's art-related, good
- Kiến trúc Tân cổ điển: Neoclassical architecture, good
- Nghệ thuật Gothic: Gothic art, good
- Hoàng Hải (nghệ sĩ cải lương): Hải is a singer but of a Vietnamese modern folk opera genre, so I think this one's half good? Still art-related if you consider singing is art ("art" in Vietnamese is "nghệ thuật", which does include singing, but in my personal impression "art" itself in English doesn't...)
- Amanda Strydom: a singer too
- Chủ nghĩa biểu hiện: expressionism, good
- Du lịch Paris: Tourism in Paris, off-topic
- Doraemon (hoạt hình): it's... an anime, can you call it art? Half good.
Jan 13 2020
Selected arts and got the following:
Jan 10 2020
Jan 7 2020
Jan 5 2020
Dec 27 2019
I'm done. The funny thing is I can't think of any phrases or words that should be linked but isn't. I guess it's because those articles are too short, there's not enough option. And somehow out of the 5 articles of Vietnamese, the Algorithm (or somebody) picked one having only 1 sentence...
Nov 21 2019
It's the same in the desktop version now...
Nov 20 2019
@MMiller_WMF Sorry Marshall but that is the only way if you want to include the "by reader". The "4 visits (last 60 days)" would be "4 lượt ghé thăm (60 ngày qua)" which is a little bit shorter compared to "4 lượt xem bởi người đọc (60 ngày qua)". I think that using visits would be fine too.
Nov 10 2019
I've finished my part for viwiki. Nothing's incorrect.
Nov 8 2019
Nov 7 2019
Nov 2 2019
@MMiller_WMF: After taking a look at several articles having that template, I'm not sure it's suitable for newcomer. This template is too general: articles that
- have non-wiki structure/format (like here, or this over-quoted one);
- are poorly written or translated that makes no sense (like here or here);
- use bullet point just too much even though it perhaps should be written like a prose (like here or here);
- have sections that are too long or too short (like here or here);
- according to me are rather fine but somehow has the template on them (like here or here, only that this one is a stub)
Oct 31 2019
I've done on my part.
Oct 29 2019
@Trizek-WMF um no, it seems there're still templates that I haven't listed yet. But I guess I'm more than half done :D
@MMiller_WMF, we are also blocked by the editor itself. conserning inserting languages, several languages go with wikimarkup first. Other go with visual editing first. A third group provides both options. Non of them provide an overview of all possibilities (including the fact that yu need to add the image to Commons first -- with copyright issues), with a simple tutorial.
@MMiller_WMF Can you somehow give us an example of the Copyediting one in English Wikipedia?
Oct 19 2019
Oct 18 2019
Regarding the link for creating a new article, here is the one on the help panel: Help:Editing, but this one focuses solely on guiding how to edit in general. If you specifically need a link for creating articles, here it is: Help:Your first article.
Done for now.