Testing the end-to-end experience can start once T237607 is resolved.
All tasks listed have been completed except T157216 which may not be relevant as we support Section Translation on mobile.
Note that two cards are shown at the tools column, one for the reference and another for the specific kind of reference ("website" in the example below):
Given the above, it seems that logging "shown" when the user clicks on a grey interlanguage llink (and the dialog for the user to start the translation is shown) is the only actionable item.
Wed, Dec 11
Tue, Dec 10
I've also checked that the link works even when the beta feature is disabled, and also for wikis where CX is out of beta.
So I think it is safe to close.
As part of the work on Section Translation, we'll work on mapping sections between articles across languages. The main purpose is to be able to surface that "the 'history' section is present in the English version of 'Ukulele' but missing in the Tagalog version". However, if supporting such mapping makes it easy to also support section title translations, we can consider that too.
Please, keep in mind that here we have a common goal, improve our tools to help editors. I'd recommend not to generalize and focus the reporting on the specific issue. That always helps to prevent side conversations and contributes to keep people focused and motivated to solve the issue.
Mon, Dec 9
With the new version of Content translations, the suggested approaches are now supported: finding equivalent templates through Wikidata, using templateData and Citoid metadata. For some languages, even a machine learning approach has been supported to map parameters. So I think we can close the current ticket, but feel free to report other specific issues in this area.
As part of the upcoming work on Section translation, we may have access to section mapping data which may enable to translate sections in this way.
Since the task was created we have the system of limits which reminds users to edit the parts they have not edited enough, we also increased the number of languages where machine translation is available. Unless we see more evidence that there is an issue in this area that justifies additional user interruption, I don't think that specific efforts for this are needed.
The new translation dialog now has an action to keep any translation for later (T188634), which may cover most of the needs described in this ticket
In addition to the access to published translations you described, the translation debugger can be useful in these cases. Feel free to reopen if there are additional requests for inspecting the translations.
Marked as an epic ticket since dictionary support may involve several connected tasks. After an early exploration (with the conclusion that using Wiktionary was not viable), we decided to wait until Wikidata lexical information is solid enough to base the dictionary support on it. At that point, we'll reconsider to increase the priority.
Fri, Dec 6
Wed, Dec 4
Tue, Dec 3
After the language team offsite conversations, the next steps would be as follows:
- Expand our OpusMT instance language models with the unsupported languages: Assamese (as), Breton (br), Kinyarwanda (rw), and Walloon (wa).
- Create a MT client for Content translation to support the integration (labelled as experimental).
- Enabled the new MT service on testing wikis but keep disabled on real wikis (until conversations with the communities show their interest in trying).