Page MenuHomePhabricator

dr0ptp4kt (Adam Baso)
Engineering Director Wikimedia Foundation (Reading)

Projects (14)

Today

  • Clear sailing ahead.

Tomorrow

  • Clear sailing ahead.

Tuesday

  • Clear sailing ahead.

User Details

User Since
Oct 7 2014, 6:35 PM (269 w, 4 d)
Availability
Available
IRC Nick
dr0ptp4kt
LDAP User
Unknown
MediaWiki User
ABaso (WMF) [ Global Accounts ]

Recent Activity

Fri, Dec 6

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T238342: www.wikipedia.org portal slow on Safari on iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 13.1.3.

After the update to iOS 13.2.3 the problem went away. So I guess we'll chalk this one up to a browser or OS bug fixed by an OS upgrade.

Fri, Dec 6, 1:28 PM · Mobile, Wikimedia-Portals, Performance-Team
dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T238342: www.wikipedia.org portal slow on Safari on iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 13.1.3.

Thanks. I hadn't yet been prompted to upgrade from iOS 13.1.3 (it seems sometimes the carrier backplane configuration is a little slow on that for initiating the prompt), but will try on 13.2.3 and report back later (gotta run now). Meantime, see the attached animated GIF for w:Main Page, followed by a timeline recording captured a little later. Both from pristine freshly instantiated app and browser instances in private mode. In my timeline inspector it implies that initial handshake is around 500ms (although for some reason I can't seem to hover on it). Anyway, looks pretty fast. I tried a larger article on a presidential candidate and that didn't seem to be a problem.

Fri, Dec 6, 1:02 PM · Mobile, Wikimedia-Portals, Performance-Team
dr0ptp4kt updated the task description for T238342: www.wikipedia.org portal slow on Safari on iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 13.1.3.
Fri, Dec 6, 12:15 PM · Mobile, Wikimedia-Portals, Performance-Team
dr0ptp4kt updated the task description for T238342: www.wikipedia.org portal slow on Safari on iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 13.1.3.
Fri, Dec 6, 12:10 PM · Mobile, Wikimedia-Portals, Performance-Team
dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T238342: www.wikipedia.org portal slow on Safari on iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 13.1.3.

It seems (?) like all of the network transfer (including TLS handshake, first page, subsequent assets) from this timeline recording happens within 1.5 seconds. That part's okay (even though I wish TLS handshaking and the networking subsystem went faster!). The waiting for layout part, though, at about 8 seconds, seems like it may relate to something with style recalculation, no? The timeline doesn't suggest anything unusual in terms of CPU usage (not sure about memory pressure, but I typically only have one app active).

Fri, Dec 6, 12:09 PM · Mobile, Wikimedia-Portals, Performance-Team

Tue, Dec 3

dr0ptp4kt updated the task description for T238342: www.wikipedia.org portal slow on Safari on iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 13.1.3.
Tue, Dec 3, 3:13 PM · Mobile, Wikimedia-Portals, Performance-Team
dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T238342: www.wikipedia.org portal slow on Safari on iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 13.1.3.

Have you tried Desktop Safari with a computer on the same WiFi network?

Tue, Dec 3, 3:12 PM · Mobile, Wikimedia-Portals, Performance-Team

Mon, Dec 2

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T238342: www.wikipedia.org portal slow on Safari on iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 13.1.3.

Since you were able to record it, was it consistent? Can you still reproduce this reliably?

Mon, Dec 2, 9:25 PM · Mobile, Wikimedia-Portals, Performance-Team
dr0ptp4kt updated subscribers of T239630: Mediaviewer views should be reworked to be an eventlogging event .
Mon, Dec 2, 4:57 PM · Event-Platform, Multimedia, Analytics, Tool-Pageviews
dr0ptp4kt reassigned T239630: Mediaviewer views should be reworked to be an eventlogging event from dr0ptp4kt to MarkTraceur.

Kicking over to Mark as manager of the Structured Data engineering team, where maintenance of FKA Multimedia team projects is performed.

Mon, Dec 2, 4:56 PM · Event-Platform, Multimedia, Analytics, Tool-Pageviews
dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T213505: RfC: OpenGraph descriptions in wiki pages.

Relevant: T203127: Implement "last known good version" API

Mon, Dec 2, 4:15 PM · Core Platform Team, Product-Infrastructure-Team-Backlog, MediaWiki-General, TechCom-RFC

Tue, Nov 26

dr0ptp4kt updated subscribers of T229875: [Bug] iPadOS 13 shows the desktop version of Safari with a broken layout.

@cchen copying you in for visibility. iPad iOS 13 is a desktop UA, in case that's useful info in other contexts.

Tue, Nov 26, 5:35 PM · Readers-Web-Backlog (Needs Product Owner Decisions), Operations, Traffic
dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T237605: Create kerberos principals for users.

Access requested for me - dr0ptp4kt

Tue, Nov 26, 12:41 PM · Analytics-Kanban, Analytics

Wed, Nov 20

dr0ptp4kt updated subscribers of T233634: Modern Event Platform: Stream Configuration: Implementation.

Hi team, I found one reviewer somewhat serendipitously. @pmiazga will provide a review of https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/mediawiki/extensions/EventStreamConfig/+/545654/ and this has been okay'd with @ovasileva provided it flows through the Web team's workboard per usual process. @pmiazga see T233634#5664331 for the context - much of the architectural specification has already been worked out over the past months, but @Ottomata is looking for conformance to good MediaWiki PHP conventions and sensible API endpoint and field names.

Wed, Nov 20, 10:58 AM · Core Platform Team Workboards (Clinic Duty Team), Analytics-Kanban, Product-Infrastructure-Team-Backlog (Kanban), MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.3; 2019-10-22), Patch-For-Review, Performance-Team (Radar), Better Use Of Data, CPT Initiatives (Modern Event Platform (TEC2)), Goal, Services (watching), Analytics-EventLogging, Event-Platform, Analytics

Thu, Nov 14

dr0ptp4kt updated subscribers of T233634: Modern Event Platform: Stream Configuration: Implementation.

Thanks @Ottomata. I see the note from @Krinkle on the patch about the other gating, where you're sure to get some additional good feedback.

Thu, Nov 14, 6:27 PM · Core Platform Team Workboards (Clinic Duty Team), Analytics-Kanban, Product-Infrastructure-Team-Backlog (Kanban), MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.3; 2019-10-22), Patch-For-Review, Performance-Team (Radar), Better Use Of Data, CPT Initiatives (Modern Event Platform (TEC2)), Goal, Services (watching), Analytics-EventLogging, Event-Platform, Analytics
dr0ptp4kt updated subscribers of T233381: list=mostviewed returning zero results on enwiki.

@Tgr do you know if this one is a simple fix or does it look more complicated? I incidentally was trying the API out this morning and happened to come across this task.

Thu, Nov 14, 5:59 PM · PageViewInfo
dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T233634: Modern Event Platform: Stream Configuration: Implementation.

Hi @Ottomata, @phuedx is unavailable at the moment. What were the parts of the patchset where you were hoping for most attention? I ask so we can try to find an appropriate substitute to review.

Thu, Nov 14, 5:01 PM · Core Platform Team Workboards (Clinic Duty Team), Analytics-Kanban, Product-Infrastructure-Team-Backlog (Kanban), MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.3; 2019-10-22), Patch-For-Review, Performance-Team (Radar), Better Use Of Data, CPT Initiatives (Modern Event Platform (TEC2)), Goal, Services (watching), Analytics-EventLogging, Event-Platform, Analytics
dr0ptp4kt updated the task description for T238342: www.wikipedia.org portal slow on Safari on iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 13.1.3.
Thu, Nov 14, 4:03 PM · Mobile, Wikimedia-Portals, Performance-Team
dr0ptp4kt created T238342: www.wikipedia.org portal slow on Safari on iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 13.1.3.
Thu, Nov 14, 3:59 PM · Mobile, Wikimedia-Portals, Performance-Team

Wed, Nov 13

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T229401: Key-value extraction misses on Wikipedia:WikiProject Council/Directory/WikiProject template invocations.

@Halfak, ah, thanks, here you go:

Wed, Nov 13, 5:46 PM · Patch-For-Review, drafttopic-modeling, Scoring-platform-team

Tue, Nov 12

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T229401: Key-value extraction misses on Wikipedia:WikiProject Council/Directory/WikiProject template invocations.

Upon second thought, I'm not sure this really needs mwparserfromhell just yet. No point letting the perfect being the enemy of the good, either. Patch posted ^, please do let me know in case of any questions.

Tue, Nov 12, 12:29 PM · Patch-For-Review, drafttopic-modeling, Scoring-platform-team

Nov 6 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T232783: Observe browser capabilities and access scenarios on ongoing basis.

Related: T234865: Spike: Does our current pageview data identify whether browsers are non-JS?

Nov 6 2019, 12:31 PM · Performance-Team

Nov 4 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T234865: Spike: Does our current pageview data identify whether browsers are non-JS?.

While <textarea> based editing ought to continue to work without JS, yeah, getting an understanding how much editing happens that way without JS would be helpful as a proxy.

Nov 4 2019, 12:15 PM · Product-Analytics (Kanban)

Nov 1 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T234907: RFC: Where to implement Desktop Improvements project.

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this discussion and commend the Web team on taking into consideration the tradeoffs. Looking forward to the results ahead.

Nov 1 2019, 4:31 PM · Readers-Web-Backlog (Kanbanana-2019-20-Q2), Desktop Improvements, TechCom-RFC

Oct 30 2019

dr0ptp4kt updated the task description for T236892: Communicate transition of Graph/Graphoid to client-side only JavaScript feature.
Oct 30 2019, 11:25 AM · CommRel-Specialists-Support (Oct-Dec-2019)
dr0ptp4kt updated the task description for T236892: Communicate transition of Graph/Graphoid to client-side only JavaScript feature.
Oct 30 2019, 11:23 AM · CommRel-Specialists-Support (Oct-Dec-2019)
dr0ptp4kt updated subscribers of T236892: Communicate transition of Graph/Graphoid to client-side only JavaScript feature.

@MarkTraceur I filed this request - you should probably be the one to manage the request given you'll be project managing the contractor, but let's discuss. Feel free to edit the request, as I may be not thinking holistically enough...or I may be thinking too holistically!

Oct 30 2019, 11:22 AM · CommRel-Specialists-Support (Oct-Dec-2019)
dr0ptp4kt created T236892: Communicate transition of Graph/Graphoid to client-side only JavaScript feature.
Oct 30 2019, 11:21 AM · CommRel-Specialists-Support (Oct-Dec-2019)

Oct 29 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T234839: Review Adam's Topic Dataset.

Pasting in an email I sent:

Oct 29 2019, 3:15 PM · Product-Analytics (Kanban)

Oct 27 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T211881: graphoid: Code stewardship request.

@Yurik good point. I think the guidance for use of the functionality will necessarily need to note such complications. I imagine instrumentation would be the fastest path to flagging particularly slow cases for remediation.

Oct 27 2019, 12:05 PM · Release-Engineering-Team-TODO (201908), Release-Engineering-Team (Code Health), Core Platform Team Legacy (Watching / External), Services (watching), Operations, Code-Stewardship-Reviews, Graphoid

Oct 25 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T211881: graphoid: Code stewardship request.

@Yair_rand agreed the relatively larger JS component size is not ideal. We'll need to compensate with deferred/lazy loading. As for the comparison of the different media types, also agreed on the notion that there's a qualitative difference between static rasters of graphs that wouldn't have follow-on interactivity and plays of video/audio - this is more to note that JS as a requirement for some non-wikitext content is somewhat normal. Video and 3D have a raster, too, it's just that the stuff is intended to be played to enrich the experience. It's certainly a tradeoff around maintenance cost versus the benefits of inbuilt static rendering.

Oct 25 2019, 8:54 PM · Release-Engineering-Team-TODO (201908), Release-Engineering-Team (Code Health), Core Platform Team Legacy (Watching / External), Services (watching), Operations, Code-Stewardship-Reviews, Graphoid

Oct 23 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T234839: Review Adam's Topic Dataset.

@kzimmerman possibly, depending on time pressure. I just set up a meeting for tomorrow to discuss with you and Connie.

Oct 23 2019, 11:32 AM · Product-Analytics (Kanban)

Oct 14 2019

dr0ptp4kt closed T231641: Voice Based Offline Wikipedia on a Raspberry Pi as Resolved.

Resolving

Oct 14 2019, 5:48 PM · Wikimania-Hackathon-2019

Oct 8 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T229401: Key-value extraction misses on Wikipedia:WikiProject Council/Directory/WikiProject template invocations.

For those still following along: I haven't forgotten about this. Looking at this a bit more, I think mwparserfromhell parsing of templates will improve this hierarchy a bit further in addition to relaxing the regex. I'll be interested in upstreaming this stuff hopefully sometime this Q2 or next.

Oct 8 2019, 4:10 PM · Patch-For-Review, drafttopic-modeling, Scoring-platform-team
dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T211881: graphoid: Code stewardship request.

@Milimetric the visual treatment depends on a few factors, although yes, I think we'll want a placeholder to account for any deferred / lazy fetch or client compute timing things.

Oct 8 2019, 11:56 AM · Release-Engineering-Team-TODO (201908), Release-Engineering-Team (Code Health), Core Platform Team Legacy (Watching / External), Services (watching), Operations, Code-Stewardship-Reviews, Graphoid
dr0ptp4kt updated subscribers of T234839: Review Adam's Topic Dataset.

Thanks @kzimmerman - yeah, some cursory review of the "predicted" values and whether they're approximately sensible and whether addition of stuff of this nature to Hive for a starting point might be of use would be most appreciated!

Oct 8 2019, 11:26 AM · Product-Analytics (Kanban)

Sep 25 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T231506: Newcomer tasks: prototype topic matching.

I'm about to start the work to derive country from Infobox settlement bearing subjects (effectively replacing the Geography.* mid-level category assignment for such subjects), as that's something we're exploring for the purpose of counting pageviews by topic in a little more fine tuned way as a starting point, but meantime here's what the heuristic output looks like.

Sep 25 2019, 10:36 AM · NewcomerTasks 1.1, Growth-Team (Current Sprint), GrowthExperiments-Homepage

Sep 20 2019

dr0ptp4kt updated subscribers of T211881: graphoid: Code stewardship request.

Hello all. We're going to turn this into a client-side feature and divest of the server side rendering componentry.

Sep 20 2019, 11:14 AM · Release-Engineering-Team-TODO (201908), Release-Engineering-Team (Code Health), Core Platform Team Legacy (Watching / External), Services (watching), Operations, Code-Stewardship-Reviews, Graphoid

Sep 13 2019

dr0ptp4kt updated the task description for T232783: Observe browser capabilities and access scenarios on ongoing basis.
Sep 13 2019, 10:21 AM · Performance-Team

Sep 12 2019

dr0ptp4kt updated the task description for T232783: Observe browser capabilities and access scenarios on ongoing basis.
Sep 12 2019, 9:06 PM · Performance-Team
dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T232783: Observe browser capabilities and access scenarios on ongoing basis.

The intent here was to capture the material captured via T102318: Convert startup blacklist to feature test with richer detail and on an ongoing basis.

Sep 12 2019, 9:03 PM · Performance-Team
dr0ptp4kt updated the task description for T232783: Observe browser capabilities and access scenarios on ongoing basis.
Sep 12 2019, 9:01 PM · Performance-Team
dr0ptp4kt updated the task description for T232783: Observe browser capabilities and access scenarios on ongoing basis.
Sep 12 2019, 9:00 PM · Performance-Team
dr0ptp4kt updated the task description for T232783: Observe browser capabilities and access scenarios on ongoing basis.
Sep 12 2019, 9:00 PM · Performance-Team
dr0ptp4kt renamed T232783: Observe browser capabilities and access scenarios on ongoing basis from Observe browser capabilities on ongoing basis to Observe browser capabilities and access scenarios on ongoing basis.
Sep 12 2019, 8:47 PM · Performance-Team
dr0ptp4kt updated the task description for T232783: Observe browser capabilities and access scenarios on ongoing basis.
Sep 12 2019, 8:45 PM · Performance-Team
dr0ptp4kt renamed T232783: Observe browser capabilities and access scenarios on ongoing basis from Observe noscript, Grade A/X or Grade C, ServiceWorker, probable automata to Observe browser capabilities on ongoing basis.
Sep 12 2019, 8:42 PM · Performance-Team
dr0ptp4kt created T232783: Observe browser capabilities and access scenarios on ongoing basis.
Sep 12 2019, 8:37 PM · Performance-Team

Sep 7 2019

dr0ptp4kt updated the task description for T231641: Voice Based Offline Wikipedia on a Raspberry Pi.
Sep 7 2019, 7:31 PM · Wikimania-Hackathon-2019

Sep 5 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T211881: graphoid: Code stewardship request.

We're mulling this over still.

Sep 5 2019, 8:26 PM · Release-Engineering-Team-TODO (201908), Release-Engineering-Team (Code Health), Core Platform Team Legacy (Watching / External), Services (watching), Operations, Code-Stewardship-Reviews, Graphoid

Aug 30 2019

dr0ptp4kt updated the task description for T231641: Voice Based Offline Wikipedia on a Raspberry Pi.
Aug 30 2019, 12:40 PM · Wikimania-Hackathon-2019
dr0ptp4kt updated the task description for T231641: Voice Based Offline Wikipedia on a Raspberry Pi.
Aug 30 2019, 12:40 PM · Wikimania-Hackathon-2019
dr0ptp4kt updated the task description for T231641: Voice Based Offline Wikipedia on a Raspberry Pi.
Aug 30 2019, 12:39 PM · Wikimania-Hackathon-2019
dr0ptp4kt created T231641: Voice Based Offline Wikipedia on a Raspberry Pi.
Aug 30 2019, 12:39 PM · Wikimania-Hackathon-2019

Aug 29 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T231373: SLF4J errors when querying mediawiki_wikitext_history.

Thanks! Okay, expanding the heap size helped here. Thank you for the offer of assistance as well!

Aug 29 2019, 3:35 PM · Analytics

Aug 27 2019

dr0ptp4kt created T231373: SLF4J errors when querying mediawiki_wikitext_history.
Aug 27 2019, 7:01 PM · Analytics

Aug 22 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T229875: [Bug] iPadOS 13 shows the desktop version of Safari with a broken layout.

Okay, let me look into this.

Aug 22 2019, 5:49 PM · Readers-Web-Backlog (Needs Product Owner Decisions), Operations, Traffic
dr0ptp4kt updated subscribers of T229875: [Bug] iPadOS 13 shows the desktop version of Safari with a broken layout.

@ovasileva okay to redirect Safari desktop to mdot?

Aug 22 2019, 5:30 PM · Readers-Web-Backlog (Needs Product Owner Decisions), Operations, Traffic

Aug 2 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T229401: Key-value extraction misses on Wikipedia:WikiProject Council/Directory/WikiProject template invocations.

Here's approximately what I had in mind. The mwparserfromhell library might streamline extraction of key-value pairs, but this gets at the typical whitespacing patterns and it seems editors typically follow convention for parameter ordering.

Aug 2 2019, 10:36 AM · Patch-For-Review, drafttopic-modeling, Scoring-platform-team

Aug 1 2019

dr0ptp4kt updated subscribers of T163116: Decide on persistence backend and location for the Push Notification Service.

@Pchelolo I may have missed it but has a standardized persistence mechanism been defined?

Aug 1 2019, 10:38 AM · Core Platform Team Legacy (Designing), Product-Infrastructure-Team-Backlog, User-mobrovac, Services (designing), Push-Notification-Service (Project Setup), Reading Epics (Push Notifications)

Jul 31 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a project to T229401: Key-value extraction misses on Wikipedia:WikiProject Council/Directory/WikiProject template invocations: drafttopic-modeling.
Jul 31 2019, 8:49 PM · Patch-For-Review, drafttopic-modeling, Scoring-platform-team
dr0ptp4kt renamed T229401: Key-value extraction misses on Wikipedia:WikiProject Council/Directory/WikiProject template invocations from Key-value extraction misses on Wikipedia:WikiProject Council/Directory/WikiProject to Key-value extraction misses on Wikipedia:WikiProject Council/Directory/WikiProject template invocations.
Jul 31 2019, 12:20 PM · Patch-For-Review, drafttopic-modeling, Scoring-platform-team
dr0ptp4kt updated the task description for T229401: Key-value extraction misses on Wikipedia:WikiProject Council/Directory/WikiProject template invocations.
Jul 31 2019, 12:20 PM · Patch-For-Review, drafttopic-modeling, Scoring-platform-team
dr0ptp4kt updated the task description for T229401: Key-value extraction misses on Wikipedia:WikiProject Council/Directory/WikiProject template invocations.
Jul 31 2019, 12:17 PM · Patch-For-Review, drafttopic-modeling, Scoring-platform-team
dr0ptp4kt updated the task description for T229401: Key-value extraction misses on Wikipedia:WikiProject Council/Directory/WikiProject template invocations.
Jul 31 2019, 12:16 PM · Patch-For-Review, drafttopic-modeling, Scoring-platform-team
dr0ptp4kt created T229401: Key-value extraction misses on Wikipedia:WikiProject Council/Directory/WikiProject template invocations.
Jul 31 2019, 12:16 PM · Patch-For-Review, drafttopic-modeling, Scoring-platform-team

Jul 25 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T227353: Define the lifecycle for MV-generated depicts suggestion data.

I'm in support of permanent stashing.

Jul 25 2019, 10:56 AM · Product-Infrastructure-Team-Backlog, Machine vision

Jul 22 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T221534: Define template parameter mapping between languages as a wiki page.

Thanks @santhosh and @Pginer-WMF. Lydia and I spoke. Just to close the loop on one my earlier questions, template key-to-Wikidata property association does not clash with Wikidata client editing plans as of now. Lydia also reinforced the value of data mining in working through potential futures (some of which is happening I see). There are no simple approaches, to be sure, but I did want to close the loop on this one item.

Jul 22 2019, 7:50 PM · Patch-For-Review, ContentTranslation

Jul 18 2019

dr0ptp4kt updated subscribers of T211881: graphoid: Code stewardship request.

Hi team, just to follow up on what I've let some of you know by email, I'm going to investigate the option of finite temp resources to help handle the more pressing item on EOL to buy us more time. We'll need to scope narrowly so that we address the EOL problems at a minimum and hopefully sidestep any further challenges like this in the future.

Jul 18 2019, 11:27 AM · Release-Engineering-Team-TODO (201908), Release-Engineering-Team (Code Health), Core Platform Team Legacy (Watching / External), Services (watching), Operations, Code-Stewardship-Reviews, Graphoid

Jul 12 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T211881: graphoid: Code stewardship request.

Hi @Bouzinac, usually the software tries to make basic web page rendering functional without a strict need for JavaScript. Obviously a significant portion of the software actually requires JavaScript in practice for a feature rich experience, but basic reading is one case where usually we want to be able to support the basics.

Jul 12 2019, 10:44 AM · Release-Engineering-Team-TODO (201908), Release-Engineering-Team (Code Health), Core Platform Team Legacy (Watching / External), Services (watching), Operations, Code-Stewardship-Reviews, Graphoid

Jul 11 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T227695: Requesting access to analytics-privatedata-users for mbsantos.

Approved as Engineering Director.

Jul 11 2019, 3:35 PM · SRE-Access-Requests, Operations
dr0ptp4kt updated subscribers of T221534: Define template parameter mapping between languages as a wiki page.

I'm in support of the canonical identifier of template parameter keys being Wikidata properties in the cases they're available. I lean toward TemplateData for the time being as the place to forge the connection between template keys and Wikidata properties. As people inevitably copy TemplateData templates across wikis in the current state that ought to make for more consistency on the semantic meaning of the templates, at least.

Jul 11 2019, 11:18 AM · Patch-For-Review, ContentTranslation

Jul 10 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T221211: Parameters matching on Templates: ML Exploration .

@diego @Pginer-WMF thanks for the earlier replies on this task. I had some annual planning and vacation stuff that drew me away for a while, but just wanted to say thanks!

Jul 10 2019, 4:42 PM · Language-Team (Language-2019-July-September), ContentTranslation, Research

Jul 9 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T227150: [Bug] `init` and `mtinfo` event counts drop drastically since June 17 2019.

@chelsyx I forget some of the details, but I think it's okay to allow the multiple domains be the referrer for the pageviews.

Jul 9 2019, 3:43 PM · Patch-For-Review, Analytics-Kanban, Product-Analytics, ExternalGuidance, Analytics

Jun 19 2019

dr0ptp4kt updated subscribers of T167423: Make 3D work on mobile.

Hi all. There isn't further work on this. Right now the Multimedia team is focused on the Structured Data on Commons project, for which the grant runs until the end of the current calendar year. Presently additional work on stuff outside of SDC or urgent bugfixing or adding test coverage is generally lower priority. Tagging @Ramsey-WMF for any further prioritization or work decomposition if time becomes available in the new calendar year.

Jun 19 2019, 6:45 PM · Multimedia, 3D, Mobile
dr0ptp4kt updated the task description for T226119: Build middleware to utilize machine vision API for structured data on commons depicts tag suggestion tool.
Jun 19 2019, 5:52 PM · Epic, Machine vision, Product-Infrastructure-Team-Backlog

Jun 18 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T222154: Determine the pageview (and if possible, search impression) impact of automatic SERP translations.

Thanks @chelsyx!

Jun 18 2019, 7:12 PM · Product-Analytics

Jun 17 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T222154: Determine the pageview (and if possible, search impression) impact of automatic SERP translations.

Thank you, @chelsyx, great work! Is there a Phabricator paste or Jupyter notebook with the queries and results for our future selves?

Jun 17 2019, 7:03 PM · Product-Analytics

Jun 7 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T167423: Make 3D work on mobile.

Hi @eranroz. Heads up, I'm on time off so my reply may be delayed a couple weeks.

Jun 7 2019, 12:53 PM · Multimedia, 3D, Mobile

May 23 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T221211: Parameters matching on Templates: ML Exploration .

I was wondering, how well does the parameters name-based approach apply to the set of TemplateData-backed templates themselves?

May 23 2019, 4:56 PM · Language-Team (Language-2019-July-September), ContentTranslation, Research

May 22 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T220212: Wikimedia Technical Conference 2019: Discussion .

One of my hopes is that people will be concentrated together on topics. I'd prefer single track with a well structured format if at all possible.

May 22 2019, 2:42 PM · Wikimedia-Technical-Conference-2019, International-Developer-Events

May 16 2019

dr0ptp4kt updated subscribers of T223313: Add legal language to wikilabels.
May 16 2019, 11:41 AM · WMF-Legal, Wikilabels, Scoring-platform-team

May 15 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T222154: Determine the pageview (and if possible, search impression) impact of automatic SERP translations.

Thanks @kzimmerman. All the signals I've seen and that we could think of seem to suggest there's a positive traffic increase attributable to the intervention. My gut instinct given typical user behavior on search engine result pages and the nature of this intervention is that there's very little cannibalization, no detrimental cannibalization, and in fact there's a real boost to content availability and consumption.

May 15 2019, 5:36 PM · Product-Analytics

May 13 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T148843: Remove computational bottlenecks in stats machine via adding a GPU that can be used to train ML models.

@elukey thanks for the follow up here. No need to block on me for the GPU. Fully agreed on the need for a secure supply chain.

May 13 2019, 6:46 PM · Patch-For-Review, User-Elukey, Operations, Analytics, Research-management

May 3 2019

dr0ptp4kt updated subscribers of T221761: Test GPUs with an end-to-end training task (Photo vs Graphics image classifier).

As an example, https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7f/NY_308_in_Rhinebeck_4.jpg/800px-NY_308_in_Rhinebeck_4.jpg maps to https://ms-fe.svc.eqiad.wmnet/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7f/NY_308_in_Rhinebeck_4.jpg/800px-NY_308_in_Rhinebeck_4.jpg in the cluster if fetching directly from stat1005.

May 3 2019, 7:43 PM · Analytics, Research-management

May 1 2019

dr0ptp4kt updated the task description for T222154: Determine the pageview (and if possible, search impression) impact of automatic SERP translations.
May 1 2019, 5:50 PM · Product-Analytics

Apr 30 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T221761: Test GPUs with an end-to-end training task (Photo vs Graphics image classifier).

To clarify, was that via the internet or internal cluster?

Apr 30 2019, 11:10 AM · Analytics, Research-management
dr0ptp4kt created T222154: Determine the pageview (and if possible, search impression) impact of automatic SERP translations.
Apr 30 2019, 10:50 AM · Product-Analytics

Apr 19 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T148843: Remove computational bottlenecks in stats machine via adding a GPU that can be used to train ML models.

@Nuria the other day I mentioned my project around use of DeepSpeech.

Apr 19 2019, 5:05 PM · Patch-For-Review, User-Elukey, Operations, Analytics, Research-management

Apr 10 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T211881: graphoid: Code stewardship request.

@Yurik in addition to pulling both version of the JS for pages bearing both v1.5 and v2 syntax, the other thing is to encourage the syntax being updated, is that right?

Apr 10 2019, 10:42 AM · Release-Engineering-Team-TODO (201908), Release-Engineering-Team (Code Health), Core Platform Team Legacy (Watching / External), Services (watching), Operations, Code-Stewardship-Reviews, Graphoid

Apr 9 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T148843: Remove computational bottlenecks in stats machine via adding a GPU that can be used to train ML models.

Thanks @elukey

Apr 9 2019, 8:18 PM · Patch-For-Review, User-Elukey, Operations, Analytics, Research-management
dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T211881: graphoid: Code stewardship request.

Totally understood on the user observed performance (at least when it's on the critical rendering path) and static asset payload, just wanted to make sure if it's the case that theoretically JS-only provides all of the functionality (for JS clients) and there wasn't some additional use case.

Apr 9 2019, 8:11 PM · Release-Engineering-Team-TODO (201908), Release-Engineering-Team (Code Health), Core Platform Team Legacy (Watching / External), Services (watching), Operations, Code-Stewardship-Reviews, Graphoid
dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T211881: graphoid: Code stewardship request.

Hi all - we had a meeting on this and a question emerged. Is it possible to run Graph without Graphoid if the clients are JavaScript-only?

Apr 9 2019, 7:17 PM · Release-Engineering-Team-TODO (201908), Release-Engineering-Team (Code Health), Core Platform Team Legacy (Watching / External), Services (watching), Operations, Code-Stewardship-Reviews, Graphoid

Apr 8 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T148843: Remove computational bottlenecks in stats machine via adding a GPU that can be used to train ML models.

Hi, I'm requesting access to gpu-testers as well in order to begin validating model building.

Apr 8 2019, 9:26 PM · Patch-For-Review, User-Elukey, Operations, Analytics, Research-management
dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T220081: Allow swift https access from analytics to prod.

Thanks. Confirmed it works.

Apr 8 2019, 7:03 PM · netops, Operations, Analytics

Mar 28 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T211881: graphoid: Code stewardship request.

Okay, this has been sitting in draft for too long, so I'm going to provide this simply so that we have it here and people have access to some queries in case they're looking around later. I was intending to share some numbers then follow up about product aspects on a separate post. But I've been rather busy with planning and anticipate continuing to be quite busy with more planning. We'll be discussing potential product / support aspects separately in a forthcoming meeting.

Mar 28 2019, 9:48 AM · Release-Engineering-Team-TODO (201908), Release-Engineering-Team (Code Health), Core Platform Team Legacy (Watching / External), Services (watching), Operations, Code-Stewardship-Reviews, Graphoid
dr0ptp4kt updated subscribers of T213505: RfC: OpenGraph descriptions in wiki pages.

@JKatzWMF @JMinor would you support us addressing T142090: Add hover-card like summary (og:description) to open graph meta data printing plain summary as time permits here in Q4 or perhaps as a Q1 FY 19-20 project, to bridge the gap between now and bigger social sharing work?

Mar 28 2019, 7:51 AM · Core Platform Team, Product-Infrastructure-Team-Backlog, MediaWiki-General, TechCom-RFC

Mar 27 2019

dr0ptp4kt renamed T219388: Flash of page in talk modal transition from [Bug] Example title to Flash of page in modal transition.
Mar 27 2019, 2:09 PM · Readers-Web-Backlog
dr0ptp4kt created T219388: Flash of page in talk modal transition.
Mar 27 2019, 2:08 PM · Readers-Web-Backlog

Mar 25 2019

dr0ptp4kt added a comment to T212414: Measure the impact of externally-originated contributions.
  • Based on 1A, the volume of visits coming from integrated translated results in Google search is similar to the visits explicitly requesting a translation (e.g., by going to Google Translate or clicking the "translate this age" option in the search results).

Correct. And note that this graph only shows the traffic when the translation target language is Indonesian. You may also notice that from January to February, visits from integrated translated results is much higher, then it drop since March. I asked @dr0ptp4kt and he thinks Google probably change their algorithm.

Mar 25 2019, 10:43 AM · MW-1.33-notes (1.33.0-wmf.18; 2019-02-19), Analytics, Product-Analytics, ExternalGuidance