Page MenuHomePhabricator

stjn
User

Projects

Today

  • Clear sailing ahead.

Tomorrow

  • Clear sailing ahead.

Monday

  • Clear sailing ahead.

User Details

User Since
Oct 7 2014, 2:35 PM (316 w, 3 d)
Availability
Available
IRC Nick
stjn
LDAP User
Unknown
MediaWiki User
Stjn [ Global Accounts ]

Recent Activity

Sun, Oct 11

stjn added a comment to Blog Post: Visual Studio Code + Neovim.

Open source binaries of VS Code are actually released under the name VSCodium:
https://vscodium.com/

Sun, Oct 11, 9:05 PM · Quality-and-Test-Engineering-Team (QTE)
stjn added a comment to T261133: Ban IP edits on pt.wiki.

Just to log this somewhere: since 5th October, Portuguese Wikipedia started blocking IP access to editing via scripts (with thousands of user-facing client errors: T264665) and abuse filters that already drew criticism from WMF Legal.

Sun, Oct 11, 6:11 PM · Growth-Team, Anti-Harassment, Wikimedia-Site-requests

Aug 30 2020

stjn added a comment to T260091: Expand the list of pages where max-width does not and does apply.

Please also consider adding main pages to the list, given that they usually already use two-column layout, which may make your changes quite breaking given the different expectations in new Vector and other skins.

Aug 30 2020, 6:43 PM · Readers-Web-Backlog (Kanbanana-FY-2020-21), Desktop Improvements, Vector

Aug 6 2020

stjn added a comment to T249249: Loading indicator renders in the top left corner instead of centre.

I've seen this and I considered this a feature, not a bug, because it allows the user to see the video capture better. Anecdotic evidence from a discussion on ro.wp seem to suggest I'm not the only one. Seeing the videJs player vs the previous one, people reacted with "ah, that's slightly better [for infoboxes]"

Aug 6 2020, 7:52 PM · VideoJS player

Jul 28 2020

Iniquity awarded T209059: Replace WikiEditor widgets with OOUI-based (VisualEditor) components a Love token.
Jul 28 2020, 11:03 PM · Design, UI-Standardization, WikiEditor

Jul 19 2020

stjn added a comment to T257625: Interwiki sorting broken.

That's not true on plwiki and perhaps other wikis, too. In any case, sorting is broken regardless of compact ULS being enabled or not.

Jul 19 2020, 10:32 AM · MW-1.36-notes (1.36.0-wmf.1; 2020-07-21), Platform Team Workboards (External Code Reviews), User-notice, Tech-Ambassadors, MediaWiki-Interface, MW-1.35-release, User-Urbanecm, Patch-For-Review, Chinese-Sites, MediaWiki-extensions-InterwikiSorting, Regression
stjn added a comment to T257625: Interwiki sorting broken.

Temp hack deployed on plwiki (diff)

Jul 19 2020, 10:07 AM · MW-1.36-notes (1.36.0-wmf.1; 2020-07-21), Platform Team Workboards (External Code Reviews), User-notice, Tech-Ambassadors, MediaWiki-Interface, MW-1.35-release, User-Urbanecm, Patch-For-Review, Chinese-Sites, MediaWiki-extensions-InterwikiSorting, Regression

Jun 23 2020

stjn added a comment to T255682: Unblock editors by allowing them to disable the "Welcome, Username!" message at the top of the mobile main page.

FYI, currently we’ve done it via MediaWiki:Group-user.css.

Jun 23 2020, 3:14 PM · WikimediaMessages, MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.39; 2020-06-30), Readers-Web-Backlog, patch-welcome, MinervaNeue

Jun 8 2020

stjn added a comment to T242767: EventStreams drops the connection after 15 minutes, which makes it unreliable.

I guess I'd like to hear from the EventStreams users on this ticket about this, but I'd hope the connection would last for at least several hours, or maybe an hour at minimum.

Jun 8 2020, 9:26 PM · Patch-For-Review, Traffic, Operations, Analytics-Kanban, Analytics, EventStreams
stjn added a comment to T242767: EventStreams drops the connection after 15 minutes, which makes it unreliable.

This is a very strange conclusion to this task. There was never an assumption that you do not need to reconnect to EventStreams from my part, on the contrary, if I didn’t have the means to restore the connection, I would’ve stopped using EventStreams ASAP in November 2019 instead of sticking with it for such a long time. The problem with constant disconnects is that you can’t meaningfully debug any other issues that might arise (like T250912: EventStreams socket stays connected without any traffic incoming) because EventStreams are so fragile for any user. And, as that other task shows, you can’t even rely on servers closing the connection right now, because sometimes they don’t.

Jun 8 2020, 4:44 PM · Patch-For-Review, Traffic, Operations, Analytics-Kanban, Analytics, EventStreams

Jun 5 2020

stjn added a comment to T254546: Language portlet no longer at the bottom of sidebar.

What wiki has had the order change unexpectedly?

Jun 5 2020, 3:17 PM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.39; 2020-06-30), Patch-For-Review, MediaWiki-Core-Skin-Architecture, MediaWiki-Interface
stjn added a comment to T254546: Language portlet no longer at the bottom of sidebar.

The sidebar order was changed today. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_comment/2020_left_sidebar_update . If you would prefer another implementation of that task, you will need to consult on your local wiki. I think this task should be rejected.

Jun 5 2020, 2:41 PM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.39; 2020-06-30), Patch-For-Review, MediaWiki-Core-Skin-Architecture, MediaWiki-Interface

Jun 3 2020

stjn added a comment to T254277: Proposal: Stop collapsing Vector menu items under more menu and removal associated code.

I am disengaged from these discussions as of late, but I want to chime in to comment. In your own planning you are going to be limiting content width to 960px, making the space for tabs smaller than ever for everyone. That will inevitably make this code more relevant, not less, to the users reading non-English Wikipedias. If you want to modernise this code to make it more resilient, please look into what BBC GEL team has done with their masthead and IntersectionObserver in similar circumstances instead of removing perfectly fine and needed functionality because Vector is not ‘supposed’ to be responsive.

Jun 3 2020, 2:40 PM · Readers-Web-Backlog, Vector

May 20 2020

stjn added a comment to T250912: EventStreams socket stays connected without any traffic incoming.

Hm, this is going to be hard to reproduce, especially given T179986. I'd expect this to be a client side problem, but it could be something on EventStreams side. Can we wait until T179986 is resolved before investigating further? Perhaps if that is fixed your problem will just disappear! :)

May 20 2020, 12:51 PM · Analytics, EventStreams

May 11 2020

stjn added a comment to T250912: EventStreams socket stays connected without any traffic incoming.

Sorry for not answering this sooner. I am running a Discord bot for Wikimedia Discord servers that is written in C# (all bot-specific code is in EventStreams.cs file). It uses C# library EvtSource to read from streams, which does the most of the legwork. It is hard for me to say how it happens since there are too many disconnects right now as it is, but it happens sometimes every day, sometimes once in three or five days. Two weeks ago it was basically once a day, for example.

May 11 2020, 9:39 PM · Analytics, EventStreams

Apr 30 2020

stjn added a comment to T251383: Starting TemplateStyles tags are removed in page/mobile-sections.

What info do you need that is not included in mobile-html? There are some getters documented in https://github.com/wikimedia/mobileapps/blob/master/pagelib/docs/pcs/pcs.md.

Apr 30 2020, 7:51 PM · Mobile-Content-Service, Product-Infrastructure-Team-Backlog, RESTBase-API
stjn added a comment to T250393: Use monospace font (or editfont preference) for diffs.

This is nice (and most of the pushback is just familiarity bias), but in the retrospective, we should’ve made .diff-editfont-monospace and .mw-editfont-monospace compatible in their function (i.e., add those classes to needed elements). Can’t at this point, obviously.

Apr 30 2020, 6:39 PM · Editing-team (FY2020-21 Kanban Board), MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.30; 2020-04-28), User-notice, MediaWiki-Page-Diffs
stjn added a comment to T251383: Starting TemplateStyles tags are removed in page/mobile-sections.

Hmmm, sad to hear it, it seemed to me that this API is easier to use than mobile-html since it doesn’t require as much parsing to get everything. Either way, my job was to report the problem :-)

Apr 30 2020, 6:26 PM · Mobile-Content-Service, Product-Infrastructure-Team-Backlog, RESTBase-API

Apr 29 2020

stjn added a project to T251383: Starting TemplateStyles tags are removed in page/mobile-sections: Mobile-Content-Service.
Apr 29 2020, 6:49 PM · Mobile-Content-Service, Product-Infrastructure-Team-Backlog, RESTBase-API
stjn created T251383: Starting TemplateStyles tags are removed in page/mobile-sections.
Apr 29 2020, 9:57 AM · Mobile-Content-Service, Product-Infrastructure-Team-Backlog, RESTBase-API

Apr 22 2020

stjn created T250912: EventStreams socket stays connected without any traffic incoming.
Apr 22 2020, 2:34 PM · Analytics, EventStreams
stjn added a comment to T248137: Ensure `#content`, `#footer` and `.portal` code occurrences are element agnostic.

The CSS selector #footer also matches to the heading created by the wikitext

== footer ==

This add strange styling to the heading. This is bad.

Apr 22 2020, 2:17 PM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.31; 2020-05-05), User-notice, Readers-Web-Backlog (Kanbanana-2019-20-Q4), Desktop Improvements, CSS, MonoBook, MediaWiki-General, Vector, Technical-Debt

Apr 16 2020

Pols12 awarded T249915: Reply tool isn’t accessible to keyboard users a Love token.
Apr 16 2020, 5:19 PM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.31; 2020-05-05), OWC2020 (OWC2020 Replying 1.0), Editing-team (Q3 2019-2020 Kanban Board), DiscussionTools, Accessibility

Apr 14 2020

stjn created T250171: Custom main page of Translatewiki uses default fonts.
Apr 14 2020, 1:16 PM · Language-Team (Language-2020-Focus-Sprint), MediaWiki-extensions-TwnMainPage

Apr 13 2020

stjn added a comment to T236516: Add DiscordWikiBot to Translatewiki.net.

Couple of options here:

  • Degrade it from error to warning
  • Disable this validator for Russian for this project
Apr 13 2020, 12:38 PM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.5; 2019-11-05), Unplanned-Sprint-Work, Patch-For-Review, Language-Team (Language-2019-October-December), translatewiki.net

Apr 12 2020

stjn created T250044: Machine translation detection should work only for articles.
Apr 12 2020, 10:22 PM · ExternalGuidance

Apr 10 2020

stjn added a comment to T248416: [EPIC] Drop MediaWiki:Mobile.css and MediaWiki:Mobile.js in favor of TemplateStyles.

Even after all our discussions, I don’t really get what are people supposed to do now about the very real need to introduce some render-blocking styles in their projects, other than ‘wait a hundred years until the communities become less stubborn’. There are many examples where the discussed CSS doesn’t affect ‘1% of pages’, but ‘80% of articles’. Right now, in those cases, there are redraws afterwards due to the bad way of how Mobile.css is loaded. There seems to be no strategy or research into dealing with this other than ‘try to nudge that code into TemplateStyles somehow, maybe that will be something, we don’t know for sure’. (As we’ve discussed in T243996.)

Apr 10 2020, 3:35 PM · Epic, Performance-Team (Radar), MobileFrontend (MobileFrontend and MinervaNeue architecture), User-Jdlrobson
stjn added a project to T249915: Reply tool isn’t accessible to keyboard users: DiscussionTools.
Apr 10 2020, 2:20 PM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.31; 2020-05-05), OWC2020 (OWC2020 Replying 1.0), Editing-team (Q3 2019-2020 Kanban Board), DiscussionTools, Accessibility
stjn updated the task description for T249915: Reply tool isn’t accessible to keyboard users.
Apr 10 2020, 2:19 PM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.31; 2020-05-05), OWC2020 (OWC2020 Replying 1.0), Editing-team (Q3 2019-2020 Kanban Board), DiscussionTools, Accessibility
stjn created T249915: Reply tool isn’t accessible to keyboard users.
Apr 10 2020, 2:18 PM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.31; 2020-05-05), OWC2020 (OWC2020 Replying 1.0), Editing-team (Q3 2019-2020 Kanban Board), DiscussionTools, Accessibility
stjn created T249909: Flow/Parsoid permanently delete the entered text after errors.
Apr 10 2020, 12:34 PM · Parsoid, Growth-Team, StructuredDiscussions

Apr 5 2020

stjn added a comment to T169894: Cache not updated for anonymous users.

Russia for me, so probably hits Amsterdam.

Apr 5 2020, 1:35 PM · Wikimedia-General-or-Unknown, MediaWiki-Cache

Apr 2 2020

stjn created T249249: Loading indicator renders in the top left corner instead of centre.
Apr 2 2020, 5:34 PM · VideoJS player

Mar 30 2020

stjn added a comment to T243126: Investigate accessibility of checkbox hacks.

What is the benefit of doing this? (I haven't tested it yet with screen reader.) Afaik the common practice is to display: hide from the accessibility tree when the menu is closed.

Mar 30 2020, 9:52 PM · Readers-Web-Backlog, Desktop Improvements, MediaWiki-Interface, CSS, Accessibility
stjn added a comment to T242767: EventStreams drops the connection after 15 minutes, which makes it unreliable.

I was wondering why did this start coming up again :-) Alas, hope a solution can be figured up.

Mar 30 2020, 9:40 PM · Patch-For-Review, Traffic, Operations, Analytics-Kanban, Analytics, EventStreams

Mar 26 2020

stjn closed T242767: EventStreams drops the connection after 15 minutes, which makes it unreliable as Resolved.

Frequent disconnects stopped after 25th March, 15:30 UTC, so yes. Thank you for resolving this!

Mar 26 2020, 3:19 PM · Patch-For-Review, Traffic, Operations, Analytics-Kanban, Analytics, EventStreams

Mar 24 2020

stjn added a comment to T242767: EventStreams drops the connection after 15 minutes, which makes it unreliable.

Is it deployed already? Currently (24 March, 14:32 UTC) disconnects at the same frequency, though maybe I need to restart for it to take the effect.

Mar 24 2020, 2:34 PM · Patch-For-Review, Traffic, Operations, Analytics-Kanban, Analytics, EventStreams

Mar 22 2020

Volker_E awarded T243126: Investigate accessibility of checkbox hacks a Like token.
Mar 22 2020, 2:59 AM · Readers-Web-Backlog, Desktop Improvements, MediaWiki-Interface, CSS, Accessibility

Mar 15 2020

stjn added a comment to T169894: Cache not updated for anonymous users.

@Ciencia_Al_Poder: Sorry, I’ve just noticed that while trying to get Internet Archive to work, I accidentally put links from two separate pages in my message. Fixed.

Mar 15 2020, 8:20 PM · Wikimedia-General-or-Unknown, MediaWiki-Cache
stjn added a comment to T242767: EventStreams drops the connection after 15 minutes, which makes it unreliable.

We’ve checked it both with WireShark and via JavaScript EventSource API, and both times we got the same issue where the server drops the connection exactly after 15 minutes, so I changed the title of this task.

Mar 15 2020, 7:41 PM · Patch-For-Review, Traffic, Operations, Analytics-Kanban, Analytics, EventStreams
stjn renamed T242767: EventStreams drops the connection after 15 minutes, which makes it unreliable from Unknown message from EventStreams causes errors in third-party library to EventStreams drops the connection after 15 minutes, which makes it unreliable.
Mar 15 2020, 7:39 PM · Patch-For-Review, Traffic, Operations, Analytics-Kanban, Analytics, EventStreams
stjn added a comment to T169894: Cache not updated for anonymous users.

I frequently open Wikipedia links in private windows, where I can browse them anonymously, and I keep running into the same issue. For example, this page in Russian Wikipedia displays the content from a day ago while browsing anonymously. I tried archiving that page, but Internet Archive refused to work for me for some reason, so I can’t really show it happening. There was, previously, a bug with page histories, but that somehow went away over the years. (Seen in Firefox 74 and older.)

Mar 15 2020, 7:37 PM · Wikimedia-General-or-Unknown, MediaWiki-Cache

Mar 13 2020

stjn added a comment to T247635: ro.wikipedia.org contributions page header is inaccessible/defect.

This in their Common.css (and Common.css across some projects that copied that code from enWP) causes it:

Mar 13 2020, 9:09 PM · Design, Wikimedia-General-or-Unknown, Reading-Web-Local-Wiki-Issues
stjn added a comment to T243996: [Technical debt pay off] Remove MFMobileMainPageCss from MobileFrontend.

Yeh maybe Hlist wasn't the best choice here. I guess the hlist class is used minus the template in a lot of places. I realise this curtails a lot of work. It would be helpful to me to know which CSS is trying to overcome restricts of TemplateStyles as I can help champion fixing those issues. Either way, that option remains in future if you need it.

Mar 13 2020, 7:40 PM · Readers-Web-Backlog (Tracking), User-Jdlrobson, MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.27; 2020-04-07), Technical-Debt, MobileFrontend, Hindi-Sites, Russian-Sites
stjn added a comment to T243996: [Technical debt pay off] Remove MFMobileMainPageCss from MobileFrontend.

I think this option becomes more viable if the contents of MediaWiki:Mobile.less are reduced in size and put into appropriate TemplateStyles. For instance I see a lot of HList styles which would be better inside the corresponding template. I see lots of infobox specific styles.

Mar 13 2020, 9:17 AM · Readers-Web-Backlog (Tracking), User-Jdlrobson, MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.27; 2020-04-07), Technical-Debt, MobileFrontend, Hindi-Sites, Russian-Sites

Mar 12 2020

stjn added a project to T242767: EventStreams drops the connection after 15 minutes, which makes it unreliable: Analytics.

Maybe this might help, it’s every 20 seconds now, so.

Mar 12 2020, 11:48 AM · Patch-For-Review, Traffic, Operations, Analytics-Kanban, Analytics, EventStreams
stjn added a comment to T243996: [Technical debt pay off] Remove MFMobileMainPageCss from MobileFrontend.

Can you consider making Mobile.css loaded normally, and not via JS, at least on main pages, where there’s not that much of a content? That’s the only reason MobileMainPage.css was used by us in the first place. I guess people will have to live with a repaint after this variable is removed, but I find the decision to make mobile CSS non-blocking really rather limiting to communities’ ability to use CSS.

Mar 12 2020, 10:45 AM · Readers-Web-Backlog (Tracking), User-Jdlrobson, MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.27; 2020-04-07), Technical-Debt, MobileFrontend, Hindi-Sites, Russian-Sites

Feb 29 2020

stjn added a comment to T231577: Deploy Special:Mute features.

Yes. (Sorry for taking too long to answer :-))

Feb 29 2020, 4:27 PM · Anti-Harassment (The Letter Song), Epic

Feb 28 2020

stjn added a comment to T246483: Improve wording on the Special:Mute page.

FYI: I chose to use similar wording to MediaWiki:Email-blacklist-label and MediaWiki:Echo-pref-notifications-blacklist for both checkboxes and translated ‘Mute’ as ‘Ignore’ in Russian. As the original reporter, I’d say the name of the special page can be kept as is unless other languages also experience some issues with this, but it might be a good idea to change wording of checkboxes to make it more similar with those options in preferences, especially because it might be easier to search for those options on the special page that way.

Feb 28 2020, 8:38 PM · Anti-Harassment
stjn added a comment to T231577: Deploy Special:Mute features.

@stjn, are you saying that the words should be changed to not be gender-neutral because it is harder to translate?

Feb 28 2020, 8:25 PM · Anti-Harassment (The Letter Song), Epic
stjn added a comment to T231577: Deploy Special:Mute features.

I notice that, say, MediaWiki:Specialmute-label-mute-email doesn’t have any options to use gendered words in regards to user you are muting. Is that still available for other languages or was this just overlooked?

Feb 28 2020, 11:43 AM · Anti-Harassment (The Letter Song), Epic

Jan 30 2020

stjn added a comment to T188200: Allow signatures to be global.

Or maybe just allow users to make an error, since making mistakes with signatures is normal and shouldn’t be such a big deal. If you want to show to them how their signature would look on English-speaking project, maybe this is a question of adding an auto-updating preview of a signature that, in this case, will treat the signature as if it is being used in an English-speaking project.

Jan 30 2020, 5:27 PM · MediaWiki-extensions-GlobalPreferences

Jan 28 2020

stjn added a comment to T228194: Every Wikidata edit gets displayed in watchlist despite ‘Expand watchlist to show all settings’ not set.

Never stopped.

Jan 28 2020, 1:45 PM · Wikidata-Campsite, Regression, MediaWiki-extensions-WikibaseClient, Wikidata

Jan 24 2020

stjn added a comment to T241180: RFC: Adopt a modern JavaScript framework for use with MediaWiki.

We will definitely need to study any possible performance impacts from using the template compiler at runtime. If it turns out that relying on the compiler at runtime causes significant perf regressions then we will need to come up with another solution (and re-open some points in this discussion).

Jan 24 2020, 2:31 PM · Front-end-Standards-Group, Vue.js, TechCom-RFC (TechCom-RFC-Closed), Security-Team

Jan 23 2020

stjn added a project to T243502: HTML entity is shown as a raw text in mobile version: Advanced Mobile Contributions.

I have updated the translation on translatewiki. We just need to wait until the change get merged, I suppose.

Jan 23 2020, 3:22 PM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.18; 2020-02-04), Readers-Web-Backlog (Kanbanana-2019-20-Q3), Advanced Mobile Contributions, I18n, MinervaNeue

Jan 18 2020

stjn added a comment to T242357: Visual Editor accessibility bugs.

I'm generally wary of installing random applications on my machines. If it produces any useful output, can you just copypaste it here?

Jan 18 2020, 3:58 PM · Editing-team (Tracking), Accessibility, VisualEditor
stjn created T243126: Investigate accessibility of checkbox hacks.
Jan 18 2020, 3:45 PM · Readers-Web-Backlog, Desktop Improvements, MediaWiki-Interface, CSS, Accessibility

Jan 14 2020

stjn updated the task description for T242767: EventStreams drops the connection after 15 minutes, which makes it unreliable.
Jan 14 2020, 5:02 PM · Patch-For-Review, Traffic, Operations, Analytics-Kanban, Analytics, EventStreams
stjn renamed T242767: EventStreams drops the connection after 15 minutes, which makes it unreliable from Unknown message from EventStreams goes unhandled to Unknown message from EventStreams causes errors in third-party library.
Jan 14 2020, 4:57 PM · Patch-For-Review, Traffic, Operations, Analytics-Kanban, Analytics, EventStreams
stjn created T242767: EventStreams drops the connection after 15 minutes, which makes it unreliable.
Jan 14 2020, 4:56 PM · Patch-For-Review, Traffic, Operations, Analytics-Kanban, Analytics, EventStreams

Jan 13 2020

stjn added a comment to T241180: RFC: Adopt a modern JavaScript framework for use with MediaWiki.

Vue.js is great and, from what I’ve heard, has a better community in comparison to others, but one can only hope that this means the adoption of it in advanced interfaces that benefit from its features, not in everything that requires some JS to work. The prospect of not being able to edit or read stuff, like you already can’t with big Wikidata items, because of the increased costs of JavaScript execution won’t be exactly welcoming to people from developing countries, for example.

Jan 13 2020, 3:13 PM · Front-end-Standards-Group, Vue.js, TechCom-RFC (TechCom-RFC-Closed), Security-Team

Jan 10 2020

stjn added a comment to T230683: New syntax for multiline list items / talk page comments.

For the record: (Russian Wikipedia’s) Convenient Discussions script should also insert {{pb}} after two line breaks, but not everyone, obviously, uses that ability (I personally don’t, because it seems strange to insert a paragraph where paragraphs are typically not rendered).

Jan 10 2020, 6:35 PM · DiscussionTools, OWC2020, MediaWiki-Parser
stjn created T242409: languageinfo API returns a TypeError if you request fallbacks.
Jan 10 2020, 8:38 AM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.15; 2020-01-14), Platform Team Workboards (Clinic Duty Team), Wikimedia-production-error, MediaWiki-API, Regression

Dec 16 2019

stjn changed the status of T238991: New users get both ReferenceTooltips (gadget) and ReferencePreviews (Beta feature) from Stalled to Open.

People should’ve removed ‘Stalled’ status. ReferencePreviews team enabled their beta feature to everyone without asking the community about anything, with a situation where two conflicting tools get shown to users with ReferencePreviews overflowing ReferenceTooltips. This is unacceptable in itself and needs to be fixed as soon as possible, without figuring out which version is better than the other.

Dec 16 2019, 7:26 PM · WMDE-Technical-Wishes-Team, WMDE-QWERTY-Sprint-2019-12-11, archived--TCB-Team, User-Kizule, Reference Previews

Nov 27 2019

stjn merged T238693: Add support for SVG data URL in background-image into T213587: Permit url("data:image/svg+xml,...") in CSS Sanitizer if no external access.
Nov 27 2019, 10:05 AM · TemplateStyles
stjn merged task T238693: Add support for SVG data URL in background-image into T213587: Permit url("data:image/svg+xml,...") in CSS Sanitizer if no external access.
Nov 27 2019, 10:05 AM · css-sanitizer, TemplateStyles

Nov 15 2019

stjn added a comment to T198994: EventStreams butcher up some Unicode characters.

I think you misunderstood what the purpose of that diff was. The bot in the diff consumes EventStreams data and posts the result. These kinds of omissions were present in EventStreams data, not in MediaWiki. To prove this, my Discord bot regularly encountered the exact same problem, despite not touching MediaWiki at all in the process.

Nov 15 2019, 2:39 PM · Analytics, EventStreams
stjn added a comment to T198994: EventStreams butcher up some Unicode characters.

In �ир missing character was м, in запро� it was с, and in Хакур�й it is е. The article in the linked diff was called Миру — мир! (скульптура), EventStreams emitted that title with a missing м. The same error was happening for other fields (Хакур�й is from a username, запро� is from a comment).

Nov 15 2019, 12:09 PM · Analytics, EventStreams

Nov 7 2019

stjn added a comment to T236516: Add DiscordWikiBot to Translatewiki.net.

Well, Russian translations shouldn’t be made anyway since I usually do them myself. Just not sure whether that will add problems in other languages or not (for example, other Slavic languages).

Nov 7 2019, 4:48 PM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.5; 2019-11-05), Unplanned-Sprint-Work, Patch-For-Review, Language-Team (Language-2019-October-December), translatewiki.net
stjn added a comment to T236516: Add DiscordWikiBot to Translatewiki.net.

Ah, so the fourth is 1.5 value, got it. Is it possible to set other as not important or can it be really useful in some languages? Not sure how to go around here, really. I guess as long as people can save the edit according to their common sense, it would be alright.

Nov 7 2019, 3:44 PM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.5; 2019-11-05), Unplanned-Sprint-Work, Patch-For-Review, Language-Team (Language-2019-October-December), translatewiki.net
stjn added a comment to T236516: Add DiscordWikiBot to Translatewiki.net.

I'd imagine the number of updates goes down as the most active languages complete the translation, unless you add new messages of course. Isn't it better to have the work waiting on git so you can use it whenever you need, rather than having the work stay at translatewiki.net where it certainly isn't going to be used.

Nov 7 2019, 3:17 PM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.5; 2019-11-05), Unplanned-Sprint-Work, Patch-For-Review, Language-Team (Language-2019-October-December), translatewiki.net

Nov 5 2019

stjn added a comment to T236516: Add DiscordWikiBot to Translatewiki.net.

Question: To be honest, I wanted less frequent updates than the current rate of twice a week, since I don’t really get to use them at that rate and I am not sure if there are any re-users. Is it possible to throttle it somehow, perhaps by adjusting the translation completion level needed for export?

Nov 5 2019, 4:28 PM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.5; 2019-11-05), Unplanned-Sprint-Work, Patch-For-Review, Language-Team (Language-2019-October-December), translatewiki.net

Oct 29 2019

stjn added a comment to T234907: RFC: Where to implement Desktop Improvements project.

There is no way to do what was, say, presented in those slides and not create a situation where a significant part of users will request to have VectorClassic no matter what, though.

Oct 29 2019, 7:39 PM · TechCom-RFC (TechCom-RFC-Closed), Readers-Web-Backlog (Kanbanana-2019-20-Q3), Desktop Improvements

Oct 28 2019

stjn awarded T236516: Add DiscordWikiBot to Translatewiki.net a Like token.
Oct 28 2019, 5:21 PM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.5; 2019-11-05), Unplanned-Sprint-Work, Patch-For-Review, Language-Team (Language-2019-October-December), translatewiki.net
stjn added a comment to T236516: Add DiscordWikiBot to Translatewiki.net.

Done, thank you. I will fill message documentation now, too.

Oct 28 2019, 9:05 AM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.5; 2019-11-05), Unplanned-Sprint-Work, Patch-For-Review, Language-Team (Language-2019-October-December), translatewiki.net

Oct 27 2019

stjn added a comment to T236516: Add DiscordWikiBot to Translatewiki.net.

I’ve split yes-no message everywhere, re-saved files without BOM and renamed sr.json to sr-ec.json. (Commit, contains some unrelated changes)

Oct 27 2019, 11:56 AM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.5; 2019-11-05), Unplanned-Sprint-Work, Patch-For-Review, Language-Team (Language-2019-October-December), translatewiki.net
stjn added a comment to T236516: Add DiscordWikiBot to Translatewiki.net.

@Nikerabbit: Should I rename sr.json to sr-ec.json or does it not matter? (Expecting to push all the fixes today.)

Oct 27 2019, 10:51 AM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.5; 2019-11-05), Unplanned-Sprint-Work, Patch-For-Review, Language-Team (Language-2019-October-December), translatewiki.net

Oct 26 2019

stjn added a comment to T236516: Add DiscordWikiBot to Translatewiki.net.

Noted about Monday, thank you.

Oct 26 2019, 6:17 PM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.5; 2019-11-05), Unplanned-Sprint-Work, Patch-For-Review, Language-Team (Language-2019-October-December), translatewiki.net
stjn added a comment to T236516: Add DiscordWikiBot to Translatewiki.net.

"yes-no": "{0:yes|no}", is problematic because if we want to enforce correct number of plural forms, this message would fail in languages with more or less forms. This ambiguous syntax is not good. Can they use separate messages?

Oct 26 2019, 9:26 AM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.5; 2019-11-05), Unplanned-Sprint-Work, Patch-For-Review, Language-Team (Language-2019-October-December), translatewiki.net

Oct 25 2019

stjn updated the task description for T236516: Add DiscordWikiBot to Translatewiki.net.
Oct 25 2019, 8:42 PM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.5; 2019-11-05), Unplanned-Sprint-Work, Patch-For-Review, Language-Team (Language-2019-October-December), translatewiki.net
stjn updated the task description for T236516: Add DiscordWikiBot to Translatewiki.net.
Oct 25 2019, 8:26 PM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.5; 2019-11-05), Unplanned-Sprint-Work, Patch-For-Review, Language-Team (Language-2019-October-December), translatewiki.net
stjn updated the task description for T236516: Add DiscordWikiBot to Translatewiki.net.
Oct 25 2019, 7:55 PM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.5; 2019-11-05), Unplanned-Sprint-Work, Patch-For-Review, Language-Team (Language-2019-October-December), translatewiki.net
stjn moved T236516: Add DiscordWikiBot to Translatewiki.net from Backlog to New projects for translation on the translatewiki.net board.
Oct 25 2019, 7:52 PM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.5; 2019-11-05), Unplanned-Sprint-Work, Patch-For-Review, Language-Team (Language-2019-October-December), translatewiki.net
stjn created T236516: Add DiscordWikiBot to Translatewiki.net.
Oct 25 2019, 7:48 PM · MW-1.35-notes (1.35.0-wmf.5; 2019-11-05), Unplanned-Sprint-Work, Patch-For-Review, Language-Team (Language-2019-October-December), translatewiki.net

Oct 16 2019

stjn added a comment to T230658: Syntax for list item attributes.

Wouldn’t syntax like this be used only by newer talk pages anyway? So if they will use the bad tags, it is concerning. Maybe I should’ve written this in T230659, though.

Oct 16 2019, 4:33 PM · DiscussionTools, OWC2020, MediaWiki-Parser

Oct 14 2019

stjn added a comment to T18691: RFC: Section header "share" link.

Historically (and for most pages for most users, still) there is 1 link, the primary action we invite users to do: Edit. The transition to having "a group of utility links", in a way that is visible to most users, starts with this RFC.

Oct 14 2019, 10:05 AM · Tech-Ambassadors, User-Jdlrobson, Platform Team Workboards (Clinic Duty Team), Patch-For-Review, TechCom-RFC, Design, MediaWiki-Interface
stjn added a comment to T18691: RFC: Section header "share" link.

Please make sure not to add aria-hidden to focusable elements without removing focus, see:
https://dequeuniversity.com/rules/axe/3.3/aria-hidden-focus

Oct 14 2019, 9:44 AM · Tech-Ambassadors, User-Jdlrobson, Platform Team Workboards (Clinic Duty Team), Patch-For-Review, TechCom-RFC, Design, MediaWiki-Interface

Oct 10 2019

stjn added a comment to T230658: Syntax for list item attributes.

I can’t comment on syntax itself, but we really shouldn’t use (or add the ability to use) definition lists for this (: syntax). It makes extremely broken and unaccessible HTML, which is something to avoid in a tool written by WMF. See explanation here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style/Accessibility#Indentation

Oct 10 2019, 4:00 PM · DiscussionTools, OWC2020, MediaWiki-Parser

Oct 9 2019

stjn added a comment to T234907: RFC: Where to implement Desktop Improvements project.

One other reason why Wikimedia-specific skin wouldn’t work is because WMF is still a (de facto) sole maintainer of MediaWiki software. If Wikimedia wikis move to a newer skin, unless there would be specific commitment from WMF to support the parity of MediaWiki skin and Wikimedia skin (what a naming!), the former would naturally become more and more dated and, thus, undesirable for end-users.

Oct 9 2019, 10:08 PM · TechCom-RFC (TechCom-RFC-Closed), Readers-Web-Backlog (Kanbanana-2019-20-Q3), Desktop Improvements
stjn added a comment to T117736: Convert Special:Contributions to OOUI.

Basically, the developers have to take into account the best practices when standardising the interface. For forms, putting labels above the fields and putting fields on separate lines provides the most readability (it is easier to read labels that way), even though it uses more vertical space. Checkboxes and radio buttons are made bigger for the benefit of mobile users and people with physical or motor disabilities, which also uses more vertical space. Our interfaces can be convoluted, but I think folks try their best to meet everyone’s needs.

Oct 9 2019, 8:11 PM · Readers-Web-Backlog (Kanbanana-2019-20-Q2), User-notice, MediaWiki-Special-pages, User-Jdlrobson, UI-Standardization-Kanban, UI-Standardization

Oct 3 2019

stjn added a comment to T117736: Convert Special:Contributions to OOUI.

Agree with revi’s comment entirely.

Oct 3 2019, 9:22 PM · Readers-Web-Backlog (Kanbanana-2019-20-Q2), User-notice, MediaWiki-Special-pages, User-Jdlrobson, UI-Standardization-Kanban, UI-Standardization
stjn added a comment to T117736: Convert Special:Contributions to OOUI.

Collapsing is not done by default, this was one of the requirements. It's only done when a parameter (target, start or end date) is provided.
When you go to your own contributions, via the “Contributions” link in the personal menu, the assumption is that you want to foremost scroll through your list of recent contributions and interacting with the form is secondary and therefore collapsed.

Oct 3 2019, 7:39 PM · Readers-Web-Backlog (Kanbanana-2019-20-Q2), User-notice, MediaWiki-Special-pages, User-Jdlrobson, UI-Standardization-Kanban, UI-Standardization
stjn added a comment to T117736: Convert Special:Contributions to OOUI.

Can collapsing be done only for smaller viewports? Unlike action=history, where the same was done previously, the form up above is absolutely crucial on Special:Contribs, and it makes no sense to hide it for everyone. Moreover, the entire form (unlike inputs) should not be restricted to 50em, so this (see checkboxes) would not happen:

Oct 3 2019, 12:14 PM · Readers-Web-Backlog (Kanbanana-2019-20-Q2), User-notice, MediaWiki-Special-pages, User-Jdlrobson, UI-Standardization-Kanban, UI-Standardization

Sep 23 2019

stjn added a comment to T162379: Decide which non-standard CSS properties to support in TemplateStyles.

Theoretically, Autoprefixer just uses Caniuse data to match it with a required set of browsers, so it might be possible to use it in the same way (raw Caniuse data is just a lot of JSON) but in PHP. The esteemed Somebody Else would have to port the code in the first link to css-sanitizer, however, and keep up with development of Autoprefixer in the future (the latter is easier than the former).

Sep 23 2019, 4:31 PM · Performance-Team (Radar), Platform Engineering, Patch-For-Review, css-sanitizer, TemplateStyles

Sep 21 2019

stjn awarded T211881: graphoid: Code stewardship request a Heartbreak token.
Sep 21 2019, 12:17 PM · Release-Engineering-Team-TODO (201908), Release-Engineering-Team (Code Health), Platform Team Legacy (Watching / External), Services (watching), Operations, Code-Stewardship-Reviews, Graphoid

Aug 29 2019

stjn added a comment to T162379: Decide which non-standard CSS properties to support in TemplateStyles.

Alternatively, zoom: 1 can be dropped from every codebase since it’s a property that does something in IE5-7, browsers that should be used by absolutely no one in 2019.

Aug 29 2019, 1:31 PM · Performance-Team (Radar), Platform Engineering, Patch-For-Review, css-sanitizer, TemplateStyles

Aug 19 2019

stjn added a comment to T204089: CirrusSearch: Add filter for exclusion of redirects or finding only them.

I think it could be a keyword, preferably one that allows people both to exclude and include redirects from the search (inredirect:true / inredirect:false then?). As to UI, it can probably be included to AdvancedSearch in some way (and not included in older UI?), but I don’t have a strong opinion about it.

Aug 19 2019, 3:43 PM · Discovery-Search, Advanced-Search, archived--TCB-Team, CirrusSearch

Aug 9 2019

stjn added a comment to T66315: Move "Data item" link outside of sidebar toolbox.

Previously list item with Wikidata item had #t-wikibase ID by virtue of being in Tools section. Some gadgets, stylesheets, and user scripts do use this ID (insource:"t-wikibase" prefix:all: search in ruWP, enWP). Will this be accounted for in some way (like providing a class like wb-otherproject-wikibase-item and doing global replacements)?

Aug 9 2019, 10:04 PM · Wikidata-Campsite, MW-1.34-notes (1.34.0-wmf.19; 2019-08-20), Patch-For-Review, User-notice, User-Ladsgroup, User-Noarave, Wikidata, MediaWiki-extensions-WikibaseClient
stjn updated subscribers of T222828: Avoid MagicWord/LCStore cost from WikiEditor in startup module (resourceLoaderGetConfigVars hook).

@Vort reports that customising signature button code via mw.config.set('mw.msg.wikieditor', '~~\~~'); also broke likely due to this change. Is there a viable replacement for that, too? It was used by some people in Russian Wikipedia (including me), and now there’s no easy way to customise it.

Aug 9 2019, 4:23 PM · Editing-team, Performance-Team (Radar)
stjn added a comment to T230124: AddThis gadgets are a violation of the privacy policy.

If the gadget informed the user that information was going to a third party and the user had to opt in to use it (as is the case on ru wikipedia, although i didnt check the others) this was considered a grey area. Afaik this was never officially blessed as being ok, but de-facto was considered ok, or at least we turned a blind eye to it.

Aug 9 2019, 12:01 PM · Privacy Engineering, Wikimedia-General-or-Unknown, Privacy