HEADER CAPTION: Screenshot from Wikimedia's famous Visual Editor. The typo "documenation" has a red squiggly line under it indicating the spell checker has automatically detected a spelling error by the author.
One of my longstanding pet peeves is that skin development for MediaWiki is so hard. I propose a radical change to how skins are installed and ask for feedback.
The lack of tooling or support for tooling has been causing problems in complicated code bases like the codebase for our mobile site, so we carved out a proposal to create a bridge from our existing codebase to a more modern one using Webpack. I'll talk about what we did and why.
I use OSX. Vagrant has not been kind to me, but I'm hopeful that Docker will make development a lot easier for me in future.
Until then, I use MAMP which provides a pretty easy LAMP setup. I wanted to share it with other frontend engineers as this minimal setup works well for me - it's fast, it minimises the extensions I need to update and most importantly brings me closer to problems with frontend end-users are experiencing.
The Popups MediaWiki extension previously used HTML UI templates inflated by the mustache.js template system. This provided good readability but added an 8.1 KiB dependency* for functionality that was only used in a few places. We replaced Mustache with ES6 syntax without changing existing device support or readability and now ship 7.8 KiB less of minified uncompressed assets to desktop views where Popups was the only consumer.