- Location: #wikimedia-office IRC channel
- [Meeting type](https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Good_meetings#Taxonomy): Problem definition
- Time: 2016-08-10, Wednesday 21:00 UTC (2pm [PDT](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America/Los_Angeles), 23:00 [CEST](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_European_Summer_Time))
- Discuss https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikitext (and whether the movement should invest in a spec)
- Further notes at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Parsing/Notes/A_Spec_For_Wikitext and in this thread https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2016-August/086200.html
This week's office hour: Wikitext! This discussion is intended to be
a continuation of the "Loosing the history of our projects to bitrot."
Coren stated the work in front of us very well at the start of it.
> You know, this is actually quite troublesome: as the platform evolves
> the older data becomes increasingly hard to use at all - making it
> effectively lost even if we kept the bits around. This is a rather
> widespread issue in computing as a rule; but I now find myself distressed
> at its unavoidable effect on what we've always intended to be a permanent
> contribution to humanity.
The thread he started had pretty robust participation on a really
important, which seemed to us in ArchCom worth continuing the
discussion in one of our weekly office hours. So, after checking with
Subbu (in my list message) that's what ended up as the top candidate.
Subbu did some work to structure the conversation ([A Spec For
Wikitext] and I did some cleanup of the [Wikitext] page on
mw.org as a possible hub for information on this topic, with
[Talk:Wikitext] providing a durable conversation venue.
| **[Architecture meetings](https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Architecture_meetings) ** |
| 13:00 PT ArchCom Planning Meetings | [upcoming](https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/calendar/query/DlzGwrbxMLu9/) | [all since 2016-03-30](https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/calendar/query/M4fMy2PZOBQQ/) |
| **14:00 PT ArchCom-RFC Meetings** | **[upcoming](https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/calendar/query/ShzbHT6BPGCE/)** | **[all since 2015-09-09](https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/calendar/query/XJjy54s3PEFf/)**