The Wikimedia Commons Android app allows users to upload pictures from their Android phone/tablet to Wikimedia Commons. GitHub page is here.
Main concern of Wikimedia Commons App is to upload photos to Wikimedia Commons. However according to user feedbacks people want to be able to search photos on Commons via the app also. We think this feature will also let people to see examples, consequently increase the quality of uploads.
Project schedule is (thanks to @Nicolas_Raoul ) :
1. Implement scrolling list of recently featured images
2. Link to the Media Details activity to see an image's details
3. Add search button
4. Make search button list the results (by file name only for now).
5. Restrict the search results to images, or make sure no crash happen when opening exotic formats such as SVGs or sounds
6. Modify the search button to also search for categories
7. In the same results list, also show categories
8. Implement the category activity, which shows the sub-categories and the images present in that category
9. Bonus if time allows: modify the category activity to show the best images first. Ideally it should be recursive, so that the activity for Category:Butterflies shows good images in subcategories (images that have not been moved to a sub-category are usually not great images). To do that we could possibly query [FastCCI](https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:FastCCI) if we can find a way to make it work reliably.
[[ https://github.com/commons-app/apps-android-commons/issues/1221 | Here ]] is the related discussion on github.
- Android SDK
- Android UI design
- Understanding of RxJava
- Basic knowledge of Wikimedia APIs
**Nice to have skills**
- Familiarity with Kotlin
- Startup guide for new contributors: https://github.com/commons-app/apps-android-commons/wiki/Volunteers-welcome%21
- Talk with us: Hangouts for an invite https://hangouts.google.com/group/j9fB13Dhyqs0aHp02 or ping Vivek Maskara(@maskaravivek) at maskaravivek [at] gmail.com
- Some possible micro-contributions: https://github.com/commons-app/apps-android-commons/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22beginner+friendly%22