In order to expose Content translation to more users in Catalan Wikipedia (T102107), we want to migrate the Content translation settings from beta to preferences enabling it by default.
In particular, this ticket proposes the following changes:
- Remove the Content translation item from the list of beta features.
- Allow any logged-in user to access Special:ContentTranslaiton, redirecting logged-out users to log-in in order to access.
- Add a new option in the "Appearance" tab of the user preferences, under the "Languages" section. More details on the new option below.
# Details for the option in the preferences
- The option controls the visibility of the entry points on the Contributions page, the contributions menu, grey links in the language list and the invite shown when creating a new article. When disabling th eoption, a user will no longer see quick access options to the tool in the UI.
- The option will be enabled by default.
- The option does not affect the direct access to Special:ContentTranslaiton. Even if the option is disabled, users can access the special page when following a link or typing it in the search box. The purpose of the option is for the entry points not to get in the way for those not interested in translation, but the direct access to the tool is ok in any case.
> Access to [start a translation] from the contributions page, the language list, and new page creations.
- The "start a translation" points to [[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Content_translation/Starting
| the related documentation ]].
** Mockup: **