Although Wikidata already provides a way to carry some lexicological data through the Lexeme extension, we lake the possibility to import existing definitional material from wiktionaries into a relational database queryable.
The asked Wikibase instance would aim at:
- allow to import definitions from Wiktionaries
- allow to link each definition to samples of use (including text quote of course, but also links to media on Commons for audio records, video of signed languages and so on, media should be associated to a textual transcription)
- allow to translate definitions (and transcriptions where relevant)
- allow to add statements on each definition (for example domain/context where the definition applies, register, and so on)
- allow to edit items through an API that ease contributions with external tools such as a toolforge service (this would probably be a huge plus in term of new contributor attraction as currently editing Wiktionaries is difficult for newcomers with many implicit structures)
- allow Wikitionaries (and other sister projects) to query directly the instance