Until Thursday, May 24, 2018, the syntax of the input for mathematical formulae was fixed. Now, we are in a position that we can change the input syntax. Before doing so, we should agree on (realistic) goals how to change the syntax.
Concerning the input syntax it has been suggested to
* remove all modifications done by texvcjs
* support unicode based input
* add (more) semantic macros
* support referencing (\label, \tag, \eqref...)
* support wikilinks (\href)
* create a viable distinction of inline and block formulae
* rethink <math> <math chem> and <chem> redundancy
see https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Extension:Math/Roadmap for the current proposed update strategy.
Concerning the output it has been suggested to
* get a WMF staff member to join the commission and outline technical requirements
* use JS and webfonts
* match math and non-math text as good as or better than w:en:Template:Math for all devices
* improve rendering to be as good as or better than client-side MathJax on math.stackexchange.com for all devices
We would like to develop a consistent proposal and describe it in a way that can be understood by the different groups affected. That is
* the average Wikipedia contributor,
* advanced users with experience in TeX
* and software developers.
Please add your name to the list if you are interested in contributing